FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solve this puzzle, get some FRIH$

Ray Salamon
Alright, here's the puzzle:
http://www.raysalamon.frih.net/problem.doc

Anyone who can solve it will get 50 FRIH$.

Contest ends Friday June 2nd. Submit results to me via e-mail: rjsalamon(at)hotmail(dot)com. Post here when you do, that way I know to rummage through my junk folder to see if it got sent there.

Good luck!

-Ray
shamil
There is no solution for this question. It is scientifically prooved. Exclamation
Ray Salamon
shamil wrote:
There is no solution for this question. It is scientifically prooved. Exclamation

Care to show me this proof?

-Ray
mathiaus
Had a shot at this for the chance of winning $FRIH 50 Razz
Ray Salamon
mathiaus wrote:
Had a shot at this for the chance of winning $FRIH 50 Razz

And yes, he is indeed correct.
Anyone who wants the solution... well, feed your mind and think about it a little more...

-Ray
angelkiss
I have no idea what the riddle is talkign about lol
alkady
Ahhhh, My Head...It hurts with all this thinking.
Empire
I already know the sulution and did not just find out how to do it... so.. I'm gunna let other peeps try to get it.
borud
Are we gonna get the answer soon since someone has figured it out or what? Would REALLY like to know the answer on this one Wink
chizeled
Can someone just post the answer. The game has expired and we would like to know the answer. It was kinda of difficult. Just want to see if I even had a chance. Also where did you get the puzzle from. Just want to know if you made it up or got somewhere.
Assiez
yeah I want to see the answer too....

Took a stab at it but I'm currently leaning towards the fact that it can't be solved. Kinda like that bridges problem.
hyhy
Empire wrote:
I already know the sulution and did not just find out how to do it... so.. I'm gunna let other peeps try to get it.

LIAR!!!!! BAN!!!!! Laughing

It's a question is that graph is planar, and its from graph theory. I have exam from it tommorow so i know Razz. And the answer is that that graph isn't planar (can't be written without crossing lines). And that's because it has a K(3,3) graph in it, which is proved to be not planar. Just look at the top half. Because we are proving its not planar we can prove it using graphs, and because of that we can move the vertices (nodes) how we like. So here's the K(3,3) graph in it:

Notice that there is a circuit in the graph (1 -> W -> 3 -> E -> 2 -> G ->1). The edge (W,2) has to be either in that circuit or outer. The edge (G,3) has to be outer or inner (oposite of (W,2)). So the last edge which is in the graph (E,1) cannot be written without crossing (the red lines, sorry for image, i dont have skills Razz). That proves that graph isn't planar. So basically its even not possible without those bottom 3 houses.

You can donate me some Laughing. And wish me luck tommorow.

Laughing
JOE IV
Um.. I dont even get it. How do you figure it out?