FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Catcher in the Rye

hobbkins
Have you read this masterpiece by Salinger?

If so, how has it impacted your life?

This book means so many things to me, and I'm sure there's thousands of others out there who feel the same way each time they go back for another read.
joxang
It's an absolutely brilliant book, full of dark undertones and disturbing character development. It's also one of those books that you can read again and again and again, if only to pick up on some new detail about a particular character that you've missed.
Ljsk
It's on my list. Is it worth moving up?
henrygl
I can already see the insult PM's coming in lol but i did not enjoy this book. I found it to be a quite boring receuil of somewhat point less memories. By overwhelming the reader with symbolism, Salinger lost my attention; it tookmuch strength and courage to actually finish the book. My favorite part, one of the very few interesting ones is when caulfield and his sister are at the carousel, and holden stays under the rain; that was quite touching &and interesting to analyze.
AftershockVibe
I have to agree with Henrygl, I found the book to be incredibly overrated. Not that I thought it was bad but I was expecting so much more.

Perhaps this is because I don't really identify with the main character, although I know people who would. I didn't find the book particularly deep or meaningful at all certainly not on par with, say, Lord of the Flies.

I found the book to be a short story about a frustrated boy which didn't really seem to develop an abrupt ending.

I remember finishing the book and thinking "oh, is that it?" and although I expect that was kind of the point - that there is no real finality for the boy - I couldn't help feeling like it was an anticlimax.
Jayfarer
The strength of the book is in the psychology of the main character. He's interesting, hypocritical, but still likeable. The story itself isn't very strong, all the appeal is in the characters. Also, it came out during a conservative time, yet featured things like prostitutes.
reservoirs
Loved this book in high school but haven't read it in a few years. Though a university professor once told us that when you reach a certain age (past 30), and reread Catcher in the Rye, it won't make any sense at all anymore since you've grown so much past that point described in Holden's life.

I'm only 21 though... anyone older got any knowledge about that?
AftershockVibe
reservoirs wrote:
Loved this book in high school but haven't read it in a few years. Though a university professor once told us that when you reach a certain age (past 30), and reread Catcher in the Rye, it won't make any sense at all anymore since you've grown so much past that point described in Holden's life.

I'm only 21 though... anyone older got any knowledge about that?

That seems a very odd thing to say since Salinger was 32 when the book was published. Granted, the main character had been created years before but that strikes me as a bit of a silly thing to say.

Then again, maybe I'll see when I'm 35.
ddukki
This book is great. I didn't relate to somethings in the book, but he has a very ... similar attitude. I wouldn't go as far as he would in certain situations, but if I was writing a book like this, it would be very close to it. Some of Holden's thoughts could have been taken out of my head.
oddinn686
I actually read this one in my junior year of high school.

I ABSOLUTELY loved it. It was truely amazing. Occationally I pick it up and read it again, and everytime I do, I learn find something new that I did not find the first time through. I think that that is the mark of a truely good book.
evanc88
More than anything the book taught me symbolism, lol. I love it, it's definitely one of my favorites.
osbits
I just can not control myself,when I came to the last part of the desciption of the hat I was a little of been touched.That guy still had a 'hat' to cover him of some rain,but I have nothing.In the real world,I was exposured in the 'rain' naked...
I hope I have a litte sister of that kind...
KernEnergie
I read it, really enjoyed it. I don't see why it is such loved but it's good.
evanc88
I decided to re-read it. It's still just as great as I thought. When I first read it the voice of Holden seemed a little different. Upon re-reading he seems kind of childish, I guess, but, hey, he's 16.
mceejaydee
Didn't this book like...got Mark David Chapman to kill John Lennon? Wow, talk about a very psychological book.
evanc88
mceejaydee wrote:
Didn't this book like...got Mark David Chapman to kill John Lennon? Wow, talk about a very psychological book.

Not really. I think there are claims/fact he had the book on him when he shot Lennon, and he did find inspiration and a lot of truth in what Holden Caufield (the main character of Catcher) said/did, but in my opinion he completely missed the point of the book and he was a psycho anyway Razz