FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this bad? 20pin powersupply in 24pin mobo

Saber
well... I dont know how I never noticed this before...

I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and another 4 pin for power from the power supply...

but I only have a 4 pin and a 20 pin pluged in.... now.. how bad is that? Am Im cutting the life of my parts? or is it just something thats ok? (yet another thing I have no clue about)

-saber
jackill
LOL Is it running? If U have such mobo U must connect to it 24 pin and 4 pin plugs, anyway read the manual. In socket 939 /for example Athlon 64/ is 24 pin and 4 pin... so U need to connect them both.
psycosquirrel
Well sometimes motherboards will run without it....

I think you may be mistaken. I think no motherboard uses 24+4, only 24 or 20+4...
Saber
well heres the image of my board.
and as you can see, 24 pins for power near the top, and then 4 more near the bottom left.
and this has been running for about 3-4 months... so I gues it works...
Im trying to find my booklet....
Xeniczone
It will run fine until you start getting some power sucking graphix cards or Wireless card in there.

You can alway buy an adapter at newegg.com
Saber
well I looked in my book that I got with the mobo... and it doesnt say anything about being able to use a 20 pin or not... so~ basing off that tihs has worked... I might not do anything, well at least untill I have something else to buy at newegg(save on sipping costs)
thanks for the help.
AftershockVibe
Well there are a few things that this could mean:

1.) There are two unconnected power lines on your board. This would probably cause it to stop working.

2.) The lines usually run in connect to another live line so the current through that line will be halved (and therefore power also halved). This may also add extra strain on the components connected to the live line as they will have a larger than usual fluctuations in power demand.

I'm not entirely sure how an adaptor would help case 2 unless it's better to divide the power through wire than through the internal mobo components. It's not like the adaptor can generate power!
Donutey
if the machine has been stable for those past 3 -4 months, and all the voltages (displayed in the BIOS) are nominal, then i wouldn't worry about it.
psycosquirrel
With something like this, you can't really just not worry about it. Buying a simple adapter is a cheap solution and would remedy the problem effectively and reduce any risk of damage that the computer might have...
Doc_89
no
Xeniczone
Quit your fighting and buy one of these.

Sure as hell beats buying a new power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812101121
ForceRun
Hold up, yea the whole 20 and 24 pin is a little confusing, I did a bit of research when I first ran into it, basically it is totally optional to have the 24 or 20, you can run the system full out with no problems with just the 20 pin just make sure you have it in the right part of the connector, if you look at the little tab on the Mobo side you can see that it is made for both. The separate little square 4 pin connector does need to be plugged in for the added CPU and general Mobo uses, and I'm pretty sure the system won't boot with out it.

So the 24 pin converter is totally optional, and will give you no benefit.
Xeniczone
My friend has a 24pin motherboard and a 20 pin powersupply his problem is he can't use his new graphics card because the motherboard is lacking power to support both his wireless and his powersupply. The powersupply he has is rated 400watts. Their is no way that the graphics card, wireless card and p4 em64t cpu take up that much power.
ForceRun
The video card should get most of its power from its own power connector, not from the MoBo, but I could be wrong on that one. What is the Mobo and what is the GPU? And unless he is way OCing his CPU and or is running SLi a Standard PSU should be able to the load.
Xeniczone
it will collect all of it's power from it. Because it is a pci nvidia 5700 graphics card.
sush
I'm using an MSI RS-480M2 with a 20-pin supply. The mobo has a 24-pin slot.

I've had no problems because I have onboard video. The extra 4 pins are for extra power to the PCI-Express card when used. There's a good chance you'll benefit from a 24-pin PSU (or a 20-24pin converter) if (or when) you use a PCI-E card.
Saber
hmmm well I do have a pci-e card... but that has its own power cord(4pin, like other cd/ide drives) from the power supply. So I think its fine.
TheGeek
I had the same problem and here is how you fix it

GET AN ADAPTER

there like 5 bucks and will save you alot of expensive headache later

yes it can technically run on a 20 pin connector but you risk running the wrong voltages to the wrong components. Your lucky it hasnt fried yet.

According to a buddy of mine though there is about a 90% chance it will be fine, but i wouldnt risk it personally, my CPU and mobo were to expensive to risk on faulty wiring.
Xeniczone
Quote:
I had the same problem and here is how you fix it

GET AN ADAPTER

there like 5 bucks and will save you alot of expensive headache later

yes it can technically run on a 20 pin connector but you risk running the wrong voltages to the wrong components. Your lucky it hasnt fried yet.

According to a buddy of mine though there is about a 90% chance it will be fine, but i wouldnt risk it personally, my CPU and mobo were to expensive to risk on faulty wiring.

THANK YOU you put it plain and simple. Just get an adaptor. How is 5 dollars going to screw you up. I don't care what other people say. If it turns out you need a 24 pin. later you would have to buy the adaptor and wait to getting before using w/e it is you need to use.
FerSx
Actually those extra 4 cables (12v and 5v) are for energy hungry components; HI END GRAPHIC CARDS (gforce 7000 series) hi end processors DUAL CORE and things like that. So your computer WILL run OK with the 20 pin connector, and you will not experience any downgrade or will harm your computer for that matter. All the others 20 pin are the same voltage, and they are designed to be connected only in there right position. So it’s actually normal to see 20 pin PS on 24 pin mombos.

The only thing is that you have to be prepare in changing your Power supply if u are thinking on adding any of this hi end, energy eating components to your mombo.

And in opposite of which everybody has said I wouldn’t advice you to buy a converter, that will actually stress the Power Supply, cause it will be pumping more juice for what it was design for (well only if u r actually using the energy it suppose to give those extra 4 cables). My advice for all of you that its better a cheap 24 pin power supply, than the converter, the only way is if u have a very but A VERY GOOD PS (cool master, evercool…) that’s 550wts or more and wana still use it with a new mombo, and still isn’t the best choice.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Actually those extra 4 cables (12v and 5v) are for energy hungry components; HI END GRAPHIC CARDS (gforce 7000 series) hi end processors DUAL CORE and things like that. So your computer WILL run OK with the 20 pin connector, and you will not experience any downgrade or will harm your computer for that matter. All the others 20 pin are the same voltage, and they are designed to be connected only in there right position. So it’s actually normal to see 20 pin PS on 24 pin mombos.

The only thing is that you have to be prepare in changing your Power supply if u are thinking on adding any of this hi end, energy eating components to your mombo.

And in opposite of which everybody has said I wouldn’t advice you to buy a converter, that will actually stress the Power Supply, cause it will be pumping more juice for what it was design for (well only if u r actually using the energy it suppose to give those extra 4 cables). My advice for all of you that its better a cheap 24 pin power supply, than the converter, the only way is if u have a very but A VERY GOOD PS (cool master, evercool…) that’s 550wts or more and wana still use it with a new mombo, and still isn’t the best choice.

This is completely contridicing what I said.

Just buy the damn adapter and you won't have to worry end of story. Very Happy
romancos
I think the question is how to connect 20+4 cable into 24+4 mobo.
I think 20pin goes into main 24pin socket with 4pins at the end left empty and 4pin 12v must go into CPU power socket.
Am I right?