FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Switching over to phpBB

bladesage
Okay, I've almost convinced someone to convert their forums to phpBB. We all know by now that phpBB has got to be one of the greatest forums systems ever, and I want to help someone else experience this.

She currently uses Network54, which I've never even heard of. She says that she would love to change it to phpBB, but she also wants to know if it's possible to keep all the current posts. Does anyone here know anything about "Network54"?

If anyone does, and this is not possible, please let me know. I'd like to help her setup very soon, but I also want to inform her of whether or not this is possible.

Thanks!
wumingsden
She is confused. She is probably already using a phpBB forum. Network54 is a forum, weblogs, chatroom, votelets, etc, etc hosting company. It is more than likely that they will not send her the database that she'll need in order to keep her posts because it is a free forum host.

Edit: They use their own, totally crap, forum software. To see it in action here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/48692/

It is going to be more hassle then it is worth to convert the database, and that is even if they have released the forum script to the public.
bladesage
wumingsden wrote:
She is confused. She is probably already using a phpBB forum. Network54 is a forum, weblogs, chatroom, votelets, etc, etc hosting company. It is more than likely that they will not send her the database that she'll need in order to keep her posts because it is a free forum host.

Edit: They use their own, totally crap, forum software. To see it in action here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/48692/

It is going to be more hassle then it is worth to convert the database, and that is even if they have released the forum script to the public.

They apparently charge her some small amount to have it ad-free, because she said that it wouldn't be too much trouble to keep the old with the new for archiving purposes, "because it doesn't cost very much."

Thank you for your time, and if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. Until then, we've decided to just keep the old after installing the phpBB forums, and we'll just see how her visitors react to the new forums.

It shouldn't be too much trouble, and it would appear that we're okay for now. Thank you once again for your time ^_^!

And it wouldn't be a conflict at all, were it not for the fact that she has over 200,000 visitors, and we're slightly worried that they've become attached to the posts over the passed years.