FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Windows XP slow startup





Talk2Tom11
Hey, I have been having this problem where my computer starts up really slow.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

When the computer starts... everything goes good until i get the prompt to put my password in. Once i put the password in the login screen goes away and the music sounds but then nothing shows up. The computer even acts as if it is not doing anything for about a minute or so.(the hard-drive light does not go on) The after that minute or so the light goes on to indicate that the hard-drive is doing something. Then it is about another minute until explorer.exe finally loads and my icons and task bar appear. Then it takes another minute to finally load the rest. Finally i am able to use the computer. I have no programs running at start up. I have cleared everything in msconfig from the startup and in regedit i cleaned out things from running. Still I have this problem. If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated... thank you.
krazycapital
Try using a registry edit program to delete some unused entries.
If that doesn't work, backup and reformat.
Talk2Tom11
I use CCleaner often...is a program like that what you are talking about?

Also.. is there any other option besides formating?
krazycapital
Do you have all the latest updates from Microsoft?
lSaKenl
this is simply, there are only 2 possibilities, framengted disk, or your software isnt original software and downloaded service pack 2 ^^ microsoft made a special add, and if your product isnt registered online and download SP2, it'll do that ^^
Bones
have you tried disabling the non-MS services in msconfig? Just go to the services tab, check the lil box that says hide all MS services, and once they are hidden, click on disable all, then apply, and then restart...see if you still have the same problem.

Does the slow startup problem also happen in safe mode? If it still happens with the service disabled from the step above, but not in safe mode, then there is a chance that you have a corrupted driver.

Also are there any USB devices (especially mp3 players) plugged into the pc at startup? Try removing those and see if the problem persists.
Talk2Tom11
lSaKenl wrote:
this is simply, there are only 2 possibilities, framengted disk, or your software isnt original software and downloaded service pack 2 ^^ microsoft made a special add, and if your product isnt registered online and download SP2, it'll do that ^^


i did a system defrag and that went fine... still have the problem. This version of windows came with the PC OEM. And I have all the latest updates including Service pack 2. I believed my product is registered... is there a way that i can check?
saiyeek
    Remove unecessary programs from startup
    remove anti virus especially norton if you have installed in your computer. This makes it too slow.

    Remove hardwares that are not used but installed

    Apply windows XP classic theme for best performance

    Increase your RAM memory
lSaKenl
Quote:
i did a system defrag and that went fine... still have the problem. This version of windows came with the PC OEM. And I have all the latest updates including Service pack 2. I believed my product is registered... is there a way that i can check?


i dont know exactly what is PC OEM, but that sounds just like a pc that you bought, like sony vaio or something like that, if it is, then is registered, then, if it is registered, check the boot file of the system, maybe a script is added to it, go to c:\ and check the file win.ini, i dont know exactly why but sometimes it is in c:\windows, if its ok, then it can be a script added to the kernel system.
Talk2Tom11
saiyeek wrote:
    Remove unecessary programs from startup
    remove anti virus especially norton if you have installed in your computer. This makes it too slow.

    Remove hardwares that are not used but installed

    Apply windows XP classic theme for best performance

    Increase your RAM memory


This is a laptop with 768MB of ram... is that a good amount?
Also it has a Pentium 4 2.0 processor.

There is nothing in my startup.
I do not have norton or any anti-virus.
Even with windows class this it is this slow.
mOrpheuS
Try booting your computer in safe mode, with any external peripherals (including LAN cable, if any) disconnected.
Note the boot time.

You may also want to check the error log to see if there's any service that's not working/starting up fine.
in the "Run" dialog type eventvwr.msc
Bourgondier
First delete all kinds of spyware and other useless stuff that slows down your computer. I also though that XPsmoker boosts your XP. You can try that. Good luck and Greetz
Talk2Tom11
Bourgondier wrote:
First delete all kinds of spyware and other useless stuff that slows down your computer. I also though that XPsmoker boosts your XP. You can try that. Good luck and Greetz



Thank you Bourgondier for the advise on XPsmoker... I am going to try that now.

I also have a question... in boot.ini what does the timeout mean. Mine is set to 30. Should that maybe be higher or lower?
DeathPact
after the login when the music plays try to ctr-alt-del and close explorer.exe. That should help your pc load faster. For a more permanent solution i'd suggest a registry cleaner or a format (always works:) )
erlendhg
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
Hey, I have been having this problem where my computer starts up really slow.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

When the computer starts... everything goes good until i get the prompt to put my password in. Once i put the password in the login screen goes away and the music sounds but then nothing shows up. The computer even acts as if it is not doing anything for about a minute or so.(the hard-drive light does not go on) The after that minute or so the light goes on to indicate that the hard-drive is doing something. Then it is about another minute until explorer.exe finally loads and my icons and task bar appear. Then it takes another minute to finally load the rest. Finally i am able to use the computer. I have no programs running at start up. I have cleared everything in msconfig from the startup and in regedit i cleaned out things from running. Still I have this problem. If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated... thank you.


Wow, that is really strange. Actually...

You see, EXACTLY the same thing is happening to my laptop...

Therefore I mostly use to hibernate it, so I don't have to sit there waiting several minutes before I can use my pc...
Talk2Tom11
I tried XP Smoker... no change at all in my computers performance... Does anyone know of maybe a specific function within XP Smoker that might be the key function to help speed up my startup.
Fuhrer
First Download the "reagcleaner" from http://home.tiscalinet.ch/nikolay/download2/RegCleaner.exe or someone other downloadpage from the internet.This Programm will clean up your regtistry.old entris there no more longer used make your PC slowly.


Then download the "Microsoft Bootvis" Software from http://home.tiscalinet.ch/nikolay/download2/bootvis.msi or someone other downloadpage from the internet. This Programm will optimize the Registry from your PC for Boot performance,and fix startup driver problems.Broken drivers make your PC start slowly
abhinav_shah
Try system restore.
Some time back I had a similar problem. What I did was i restored my computer back to a previous date using the system restore utility in Windows XP.

Abhinav Shah
saurabh.sauron
use msconfig to disable unnecessary programs from startup.
defragging the disk is also a good option.
u might like to clear pagefile before shutdown (but thet wwould slow shutdown)
Koperek~PL
Yes, you must check your registry by np. RegCleaner...
After that, you have to check your PC by example Spybot and antyvirus.

And if you can removed some sh.i.t from msconfig from startup.

or use RegCleaner for this.
Muscae
better chek Event Viewer (Control Panel-Administrative tools->Event Viewer, under section 'System log') , i can beat that some services aren't runing properly. write what you investigate.
Arcannus
As everyone else said:

Go to run
type msconfig.exe
go to the startup tab
and start unchecking the proggies that are running on start-up

Beyond that, try setting your GUI (Graphical User Interace) to a "best performance setting".
Related topics
Boot up Windows XP 60 times faster
751 Useful Windows XP Files
Windows XP Tricks & Tips!!!!
Windows XP vs Mac OS X
How to solve Windows XP Login Logoff problem
Windows XP SP3 comming soon
Windows XP Vs. Windows Vista?
My Windows Xp gets rstart automatic what to do ?
How to speed up slow PC's?
100% cpu spikes cause windows xp to freeze
A Faster Way To Shut Down And Log Off Your Windows XP
Windows XP randomly locking up
Shutdown & Restart Shortcuts for Windows XP & Window
What cause Windows XP to freeze?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.