FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Spell checking





DeFwh
I think that spelling on frihost has gotten out of hand and that posts that are extremely bad should be warned.

Since mods read almost every post this would probably be just a small thing to think about.

I for one would like to at least understand certain people "hint hint the topic below mine".
Bondings
Yes, we'll try to make the general quality of the posts much better.
quixotic
Bondings, maybe you would be interested in this attatchment?

http://www.spellingcow.com/

It's a spell checker that puts a spell-check button at the bottom of the text window when you make a post, right above the "Disables smilies in this post" checkbox.
Bondings
quixotic wrote:
Bondings, maybe you would be interested in this attatchment?

http://www.spellingcow.com/

It's a spell checker that puts a spell-check button at the bottom of the text window when you make a post, right above the "Disables smilies in this post" checkbox.

I hate the spellingcow thing tbh. I actually didn't meant that.

I rather meant, reading your post again before posting (much more effective), starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with (only one) point. Also using some paragraphs for long text and just taking care of what you write. I'm not talking about a few mistakes, or real mistakes from people who don't know English very well.
n0obie4life
Spellingcow is the dumest thing Rolling Eyes.
robin5210
i have installed spellingcow on my forum and every time wen i set a reply.
Than is the window of spellingcow there and only in english he sheck the spelling so dont install
selim06
if you install it most of users can't post anything...Don't forget Frihost have a lot of foreigners..So don't do it please..
mathiaus
Bondings has already said he hats it so is very unlikely therefore to install it.


Bondings wrote:
I rather meant, reading your post again before posting (much more effective), starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with (only one) point. Also using some alineas for long text and just taking care of what you write. I'm not talking about a few mistakes, or real mistakes from people who don't know English very well.

Possibly disable the post button untill it has been previewed Question
Hogwarts
It's hard for some people to write using perfect grammar and perfect spelling, because for alot of people, English was their second or third language and they may not use it everyday (Except for maybe the model Frihoster Wink ). So it could also be that they just are not as fluent in English as they are with their other languages.

Also.
Quote:
I think that spelling on frihost has gotten out of hand and that posts that are extremely bad should be warned.
In the Heinemann Australian Student Dictionary and the Collins Australian Pocket English Dictionary, that word does not exist! All there is is "Got". Depends on where you are from (E.g. America. Anything spelt wrong here is probably right there), because of the whole "UK English" and "US English" thing. One way you could have done that sentence is
Quote:
I think that the quality of peoples spelling on frihost is out of hand and that people who use such bad spelling should be warned.
(You can't send a post a warning.)
Scorpio
mathiaus wrote:

Possibly disable the post button untill it has been previewed Question


This, I am strongly against.

Because a few posters, like myself, dont have the need to recheck our respective posts at all.

I usually ensure that my grammar is correct before posting anything.

So this will be more of a hindrance to me.
Bondings
Hogwarts, it's a past participle of "get": "get got gotten". It isn't used in all meanings, though.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/gotten.html
alkady
It should be a auto-checker since most users wont even bother to use the spell check at all. To many, Spell checking is just a waste of time.
Hogwarts
alkady wrote:
It should be a auto-checker since most users wont even bother to use the spell check at all. To many, Spell checking is just a waste of time.


But what about the language forums? It will completely ruin their posts. Automatic isn't a good idea.
alkady
Hogwarts wrote:
alkady wrote:
It should be a auto-checker since most users wont even bother to use the spell check at all. To many, Spell checking is just a waste of time.


But what about the language forums? It will completely ruin their posts. Automatic isn't a good idea.


Well either a different version of the spell check can be added, Or I guess the only solution is a manual spell checker. Or Frihost can always promote good spelling somehow.
tidruG
Whether n0obs' reply about his opinion that this topic should be locked or not is back-seat moderating is subjective.
However, most would opine that your spiteful reply is equivalent to flaming. I would recommend that the next time you see n0obie4life (or anyone else, for that matter), you PM a moderator instead of replying to it yourself, which would mean that you yourself are back-seat moderating.
Animal
Ok, how about this...

Stop spamming - all of you! Get back to the topic or this thread will be locked.
Helios
In addition, TeenZine, if you don't stop backseat moderating, not only you won't be able to use that "command", but you will never see it again!

Back to topic:
Bondings will start to warn people for bad English when he'll stop being human.
If you don't understand someone's words, just ask him/her to repeat that after translating properly using a dictionary or a translator.
Many can be found on the net. I believe you can even recommend some to that paricular user.
Marston
OK guys, you'll never stop people from posting with poor grammar. It's pretty much a law that every 3rd post made on an internet forum has to be riddled with spelling and grammar errors.
Bondings
I will most likely shortly make an announcement about this, trying to make the general post quality a lot better and the posts easier to read.

Of course, as Helios just mentioned, this is certainly not warning people about their bad English because it's not their native language.

It's rather about mistakes which you are able to correct yourself like "teh", "hte" and similar things. Just by reading the post again, you should be able to correct most of those errors.

It's also about starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with a point instead of a whole line of smilies.

If we can get rid of the rubbish posts on these forums, then I'm sure it will have a huge positive impact on our forums and a lot more people will like them.
Hogwarts
Bondings wrote:
I will most likely shortly make an announcement about this, trying to make the general post quality a lot better and the posts easier to read.

Of course, as Helios just mentioned, this is certainly not warning people about their bad English because it's not their native language.

It's rather about mistakes which you are able to correct yourself like "teh", "hte" and similar things. Just by reading the post again, you should be able to correct most of those errors.

It's also about starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending it with a point instead of a whole line of smilies.

If we can get rid of the rubbish posts on these forums, then I'm sure it will have a huge positive impact on our forums and a lot more people will like them.


When you make that announcement - Could you make it so that people who constantly do not read stickies/announcements get warnings (Most of the threads in this forum are spam).
simplyw00x
On a somewhat sarcastic note, it's pretty funny to see how amazingly few posts there are in a thread about spelling and grammar which are actually stylistically (or at the very least linguistically) correct.

Spelling isn't such a problem; if there's a typo like "teh" instead of "the" once in a post - there's no problem. The problem comes when we have an entire post in braindead 1337sp33k or AOL abbreviations and it's illegible. A spelling mod won't solve this problem because those people that care enough to use it probably communicate properly anyway.

The solution, as has been stated, is to crack down - in terms of warnings, deleted posts and bans - on people who insist on making such rubbish posts. It's worked before on other forums (www.livingwithstyle.com being the epitome of good posting for me) but it required community involvement; something that a reporting system really facilitates. It's a pity then, that I'm not allowed to suggest such a feature. For some reason.
garionw
I would love a spell cheeker. I purposly spelt this all wrong
Bondings
simplyw00x wrote:
It's a pity then, that I'm not allowed to suggest such a feature. For some reason.

I'm going to work on it this summer. If people suggest it every few days, it will only depress me as I'm the one that needs this the most. But I'm not going to implement an existing mod that is completely different than I want it to be and is most likely only going to make it more difficult instead of easier.
simplyw00x
Heh OK I'll stop asking then. As long as it's worked on Very Happy
conchalepas
I use gmail for the spell chek in my writing... i did't use that now...
pixor
Spellcheck is a MUST for a forum like this. People are sometimes too lazy to write (even myself) something properly, so they just let it be rather than hitting that backspace or whatever. I know some pretty cool javascript spell checkers and they even come in different languages for so cheap. I think the mıoderators should give them a try.
n0obie4life
pixor wrote:
Spellcheck is a MUST for a forum like this. People are sometimes too lazy to write (even myself) something properly, so they just let it be rather than hitting that backspace or whatever. I know some pretty cool javascript spell checkers and they even come in different languages for so cheap. I think the mıoderators should give them a try.


what about the language forums? stupid spellcheckers only check english. not polish, dutch..or whatever.

this should have been closed long ago in my opinion. no point discussing this anymore.
tidruG
Bondings wrote:
I'm going to work on it this summer. If people suggest it every few days, it will only depress me as I'm the one that needs this the most.


Look out for summer!
-close-
Related topics
What software do you use to design?
Firefox 1.5 Spell check
Game Maker
Spell Check
Request: Please install PHP "pspell" module
First version of Space.FRIH.net is live!!
Perpetural Energy
supposed to be strictly alpha, but Bon Echo is GREAT
FreeType has dissapeared on Server 1
pspell library
Best Messenger
New version of Firefox available for download
Portuguese Spell Checker for Word 2007
Why do so many people spell lose wrong?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.