FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

snowboardalliance
I've been sitting around for a few days because I'm sick and I started playing this game again. Anyone else play it?
rightclickscott
Advance doesn't even hold a candle to the original Final Fantasy Tactics, but since I don't want to do another "FFT for the PS1 was the greatest game ever" rant, I'll just say that I play it occasionally, since I've already played everything that FFT had, and I wanted more!
Marco
I used to play it Smile, a very good game, I didn't knew there was a FFT for the ps1 so I can't really compare it Smile. I might play it again (after my exams Mad )
rightclickscott
Marco wrote:
I used to play it Smile, a very good game, I didn't knew there was a FFT for the ps1 so I can't really compare it Smile. I might play it again (after my exams Mad )

Oh, there is, and it is my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!!!
Rebzie
I didn't really get into TA i think it was the battle style and the whole not being able to do something randomly each turn.
angelussum
If I recall correctly, I have played this game. It's pretty fun, amusing, but after a while, it gets boring. Still, better than nothing on a boring day!
KSheriff
I've never played the Tactics game for PS1, but played quite a lot of FFTA. (All 300 missions plus most of the bonus missions and characters) I do a fair amount of commuting so the portables always worked out better for me. All and all, it does get kinda boring, but it's still one of the better strat games on Advance as far as I'm concerned. I liked FFTA more than the Tactics Ogre:TKL and Advance Wars 2.

FFTA just seemed faster to me. I got enter and end a battle in under 10 mins. With the two previously mentioned games, battles took much longer.

The plot in FFTA was weak, but gameplay was fairly intuitive, and enjoyable.
b-n-g
Old but fun game Smile i didn't came so far so i stopped with playing.. Wink
tanzali2u
I dont know y but i hate this series of game...coz of the gameplay Very Happy
Marston
I beat the game in like a week. Pretty fun if you have nothing else to do.
Telnven
I've played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (FFTA), and I love it. It may not match the standards of FFVII and FFIX (which I personally view as my favorites). But it is a great game, the structure and gameplay offered a break from the series and it was refreashing.

It didn't strike me as having a large or a major plotline, but the combat system proved good. I haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics so I cannot comment about it, on that front. But if viewed as a stand alone game it rates resonably high, on my list.
rightclickscott
Telnven wrote:
I've played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (FFTA), and I love it. It may not match the standards of FFVII and FFIX (which I personally view as my favorites). But it is a great game, the structure and gameplay offered a break from the series and it was refreashing.

It didn't strike me as having a large or a major plotline, but the combat system proved good. I haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics so I cannot comment about it, on that front. But if viewed as a stand alone game it rates resonably high, on my list.

The original FFT has the same great battle system, a movable camera, a great story, and very progressive and easy to use character progression. It's alittle different, playwise. Instead of doing missions (which you can still do at the tavern for rare items), you follow a storyline with main characters that can actually die. If they die, then you can lose some parts of storylines, so you have to be very careful when trying to play some subplots, and not only that, but your main characters will have some pretty awsome skills. Like I said before, the story is great. You fight in the medieval-esc period of Ivalice, and you follow the story of Ramza, who fought behind the scenes of the supposed main character, Delita. You basically follow the lost story of Ivalice, and the story can be very deep at times, so you have to pay alot of attention, and you may want to play it over again to catch alot of important parts you may have skipped over. Oh, and if you do play it, remember this, to get to your menu, press triangle on the world map, and you can do all the stuff you need to like getting new skills and changes character classes. Alot of people didn't know that one thing, and they thought it was horrible! This makes me thoroughly pissed off! Grr, either way, play the first one. You won't put it down. You can even unluck Cloud from FFVII, and you have to get his Buster Sword at the top of the volcano using the find item ability. Then you can use all of his limit moves! Ok, that's enough. Go play it, NOW!
exarkun
well, for me, the game was still alright. I don't really yearn for a game with extreme graphics, but the content and storyline is a must.
Hanpusu-kun
FFT for the PS1 was better, but still this, game turned out to be quite good.
So, both games are good in different ways.
rightclickscott
Hanpusu-kun wrote:
FFT for the PS1 was better...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SEE, I TOLD YOU ALL! SEE!?
SEE!
trickstott
I had a lot of problems with Tactics Advance, and it is the same problem I have had with all the early Square-Enix games. While I enjoy games with depth, and I enjoy being able to replay games, I do not enjoy games where I do not feel satisfied by a single playthrough. Tactics Advance assumes that you will play through a second time and that you will use this second play to get many of the abilities that the designers themselves say are necessary for meaningful play.

Example: Steal weapon and Steal ability are so important to the game that they are frequently referred to as features. In order to get these abilities early enough in the game to get many of the special powers that make the game fun you have to ... well... cheat. You have to walk around until you reach level fifty before taking on the FIFTH mission.

What's sad, is that if you do not do this, you do realize as you play through the game that you should have done this. It's annoying.

I'm much happier with Square-Enix's newer titles. Also, if you want to play an excellent Tactics game on the GB Advance. Get Tactics Ogre. It is really excellent.
matttai
I can vouch for FFT on PS being better than FFTA also Smile
When you have played FFT and then move to FFTA you can't help but feel that FFTA is FFT "lite." It feels more watered down and weak by comparison to FFT.
There also is a feeling of repetition towards the later stages of FFTA :/
I guess if you are a first time player to FFTA then it isnt as bad Smile But it is worse when you have played FFT first!
I am not complaining though it is still a great game for me to play when i can just whip out my GB Micro when i am waiting for public transport!
rightclickscott
matttai wrote:
I can vouch for FFT on PS being better than FFTA also Smile
When you have played FFT and then move to FFTA you can't help but feel that FFTA is FFT "lite." It feels more watered down and weak by comparison to FFT.
There also is a feeling of repetition towards the later stages of FFTA :/
I guess if you are a first time player to FFTA then it isnt as bad Smile But it is worse when you have played FFT first!
I am not complaining though it is still a great game for me to play when i can just whip out my GB Micro when i am waiting for public transport!

Seriously, I was dissapointed with nearly everything that FFTA had to offer. Oh yeah, here is a nice little trick: Buy Dash Boots for every character and equip it as their accessory. Believe me, the +1 movement is totally worth whatever your old accessory was.
Hanpusu-kun
Still, teh pixels, teh music, teh story <3333

FFTA is a must-have if you own a GBA or a DS
FreeLancers Guild
Personally, I didn't think Tactics Advance was that good. I LOVE the original though.

The GameBoy version I thought kinda sucked.... so I therefore couldn't get into it at all. It might have something to do with my inexplicable hatred for hand-held systems. Don't ask why I just hate them.

Then again, I tried playing it on an emulator, and I still thought it sucked. That's possibly because you can barely see it in the shadow of it's older brother... or sister... or yeah.

The original FFT is definitely the way to go if you need something to play, I personally find it to be one of my favorites. Right at the top of my list. Tied with Chrono Trigger.

I might try this one again, but it won't be until I've played out everything I own... twice...

Meh.
rightclickscott
FreeLancers Guild wrote:
Personally, I didn't think Tactics Advance was that good. I LOVE the original though.

The GameBoy version I thought kinda sucked.... so I therefore couldn't get into it at all. It might have something to do with my inexplicable hatred for hand-held systems. Don't ask why I just hate them.

Then again, I tried playing it on an emulator, and I still thought it sucked. That's possibly because you can barely see it in the shadow of it's older brother... or sister... or yeah.

The original FFT is definitely the way to go if you need something to play, I personally find it to be one of my favorites. Right at the top of my list. Tied with Chrono Trigger.

I might try this one again, but it won't be until I've played out everything I own... twice...

Meh.

Despite one major difference, wherein I'll still play Advance at times, I completely agree with you. FFT for PS1 FTW, how many times must I say that?
gothicgeek
rightclickscott wrote:

Despite one major difference, wherein I'll still play Advance at times, I completely agree with you. FFT for PS1 FTW, how many times must I say that?

You don't. How many posts have you made? Geez. Anyway, I liked FFTA, haven't played original so whatever. Graphics are good and I thought the story was cool. I'd reccomend it.
rightclickscott
gothicgeek wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

You don't. How many posts have you made? Geez. Anyway, I liked FFTA, haven't played original so whatever. Graphics are good and I thought the story was cool. I'd reccomend it.

I think I do, because people who have never played to original, or just simply didn't learn how to get to the menu, really don't know Final Fantasy Tactics at all.