FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Go!

bert_db
I like this game, because no computer ever managed to win against a human.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game) for more information
noexes89
Hay, put URL tags around the adress to get a better link, like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28board_game%29

Interesting stuff, though. Here's why computers aren't good at playing Go:

Quote:
Although much effort has gone in to programming computers to play Go, even the strongest programs are no better than an average club player, and would easily be beaten by a strong player even getting a nine-stone handicap. Strong players have even beaten computer programs at handicaps of twenty-five stones. Of course, strong players do not currently have much interest in computer Go programs as opponents, as they do not yet play well enough. This is attributed to many qualities of the game, including the "optimising" nature of the victory condition, the large number of legal moves, the large board size, the nonlocal nature of the Ko rule, and the high degree of pattern recognition involved. On the other hand, a chess-playing computer, Deep Blue, beat the world champion in 1997. For this reason, many in the field of artificial intelligence consider Go to be a better measure of a computer's capacity for thought than chess.

Booya!
BooTes
Go is a great game, I only read about it a few weeks ago and started playing and it's quite a challenge. I haven't figured out how to play smart yet (a weak computer AI still beats me) but I'm fascinated by it's simplicity yet complexity. Very Happy

If you want to play I suggest Igowin. It doesn't feature a full sized board but it's good enough for practicing and learning the basics. My Kyu ranking is about 20 so I suck, but hey I enjoy the game so that's what matters. Wink