FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Accounting

Wynand
Accounting

I am studying towards a degree in accounting. Is there anyone that shares this interest?

I am now in my third year and want to become an auditor.
denggi
Hi, I was in ur position just a few months ago...Maybe u could learn abit more or ask questioons here (http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-28835.html)
JSmile
Research more about the industry - whether you want to go public or private and what group you would like to specialize in. If you're a 3rd year, you should be having an internship during the summer. Accounting recruitment is tough, but differentiating yourself shouldn't be too hard amongst the highly quantitative crowd with some good old fashioned interpersonal skills.

Get to know the industry and what YOU want to do. It's much more than reading through a Balance Sheet Surprised
teh_razz
Wynand wrote:
Accounting

I am studying towards a degree in accounting. Is there anyone that shares this interest?

Acounting is a great way to go, if your smart, you will be able to make loads of money throughout your carrer
jeffsolodky
I have no real interest in accounting, but I heard that a person who is called something that sounds like an arcabousie or something like that makes 6 figures a year which is a pretty damn good incentive to pay attention in math class. But then again, if you just don't like numbers, it is not the career for you.
dray101
JSmile wrote:

Get to know the industry and what YOU want to do. It's much more than reading through a Balance Sheet Surprised

Well if reading through that balance sheet means you can retire early and only work 4 days a week, or something then who cares?

Anyway I think that you can't lose because if you decide that accounting is not for you then you still have the skills that you can use for yourself or any business you might or might not start up.

It's always good to know how to look after money Wink
Possum
The only thing I can tell you is that all my buddies from school (1978) who became accountants are rich now.
ryanh2006
Yeah accounting is a really well paying job wherever you live, plus if you become a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) you can make even more money. Anyways, I am a marketing undergrad who got As on his accounting courses but didn't really enjoy them so I guess I can't really be of much help to you Razz Finance is more of my thing! I am really enjoying my managerial finance course. Bye for now.
Wynand
Thanks for the encouragement. Now I have another question. What audit firm would you recommend I work for? Are there any of you that works for an audit firm?

Do you think you must work towards becoming a partner in one of the big audit firms or do you think it is better to start your own practice?

I am now in a stage in my live to decide whether to work for myself of work for a company for the rest of my life.
snowboardude
yeah, im going to be taking an accounting course next year, and then i'll decide if i really want to do it for the rest of my life.

ps. how hard is it really to become a CA? my business teacher says its brutal, while other people say its a breeze