FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.reg files opening in notepad, what to do to now?

koolbluez
i dunno what happened, but suddenly my .reg files are getting opened in notepad; when actually i want them to do the default "entry of registry values"

can anyone guide me onto how to resume the original function?
S3nd K3ys
koolbluez wrote:
i dunno what happened, but suddenly my .reg files are getting opened in notepad; when actually i want them to do the default "entry of registry values"

can anyone guide me onto how to resume the original function?

You should still be able to right click on it and select import. If not, open the regedit and use File Import.

I know how to associate files with regular apps, but I'm not sure how to do it with the reg, so I won't give any suggestions, except to warn you to NOT have the little box checked that says "Always use this program when opening this file type" Wink
kelhamcrisis
Hey,

You should be able to restore the associated program to registry editor instead of notepad.

open up "my computer", then click "tools", "folder options", "file types" and then scroll down until you see "REG" in the list.

Then you should hopefully see the option "restore". If not, you will see a button labelled "change". Press this, and then in the program list select "Registry Editor" (it should be under recommended programs). Then make sure the box saying "always use this program to open the selected file type" is selected, and press "OK".

Then press "apply" and then "OK" in the next window, and it should restore the file association, stopping REG files opening in notepad.

Hope that helps.
Bones
You should be able to right click on the file, select 'open with' and then click on choose program and pick registry editor from the list, make sure the 'always open with this program' checkbox is checked and you should be good to go.

If registry editor isn't in the list, then just select browse, and browse to c:\windows\regedit.exe and pick that program to open with.
(provided that Windows is installed in the folder c:\windows)
koolbluez
done.. thanks... was searchin 4 the Reg Editor... browsed and found it... was not in the list....
lpclimber
You can use the command when you open the "cmd" shell

"assoc .reg=regfile"

It's easier to reassociate the .reg file to nomal state!
Shin
lpclimber wrote:
You can use the command when you open the "cmd" shell

"assoc .reg=regfile"

Nice trick!! learn a new thing.. thanks
abhinav_shah
Check the file types in My Computer...

Abhinav Shah