FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Violinists/Musicians?

Balthamos
Anyone else play the violin? If so, I need a piece to play Very Happy. I've been playing for a little over 6 years.

~Balthamos
joxang
Hey! I'm in my final year studying violin (and piano) at the royal college of music jd.

What level are you at? Have you started any concertos?

I recommend Kreisler's 'Schon Rosmarin' and 'Liebesleid', and also the more difficult 'Liebesfreud'. All three are from his Vienniese suite and are among my facourite pieces.

Another slightly harder, but very famous piece is Monti's 'Czardas'.

Those are my favourites...but we really need to know how good you are! What are you playing at the mo?
Balthamos
I'm a high school student, so I just play there. I'm in the top orchestra there, and I love playing. Well, I haven't really been playing any solo pieces lately (except some test etudes, which involve lots of unnecessary shifting, as always). I have looked at some works by Paganini, whom I believe to be way above my level. Some full orchestra pieces I have played lately is the Polovetsian Dances by Bordin and some other stuff like that. I also played William Tell Overture, but I found that pretty easy. I have also looked at some of the solo parts to some of the movements in Vivaldi's Winter, but those can become extremely difficult. Right now, I'm trying to learn a little Concerto written by Bach (found here)

~Balthamos
joxang
lol, that 'little concerto' is the extremely famous 'double violin' concerto. it's a fabulous piece, but you'll need to find someone to learn the other part.

If you can play the william tell without much trouble then you should be able to play the 1st two kreisler pieces. Paganini is generally *very* hard :p...maybe another few years. The borodin is a really beautiful piece...maybe you could find a arrangment for violin of the cor anglais solo...
Balthamos
Yes, I have heard of the concerto before (electric guitar though; tad different). After hours of searching, I finally found it, and have been playing it. It's a really a fun piece to play, but yes, I do need to find another violinist so I can figure out how the rhythms fit together. Was learning with a friend, but now it's the summer time, and he's going off to college.

The William Tell was an abridged version, but it still had most of the parts in it (cello solo was a good bit shorter, etc). Paganini is basically impossible, and even my director could only get through a few lines before messing up (great achievement). Bordin is a nice piece, but he really didn't know how to change from piece to piece, so you have a collection of really good pieces, but just sort of chopped together haphazardly. I'll try to search for some of those pieces you mentioned, and they sound like they should be a fun play.

~Balthamos
j3uk
A superb composer

Not that I can play much of his work, however there are some of the 24 caprices ( Go to www.sheetmusicarchive.net for a free copy) aren't as impossible as they look and are well worth playing just because they're hard. (I know, strange logic, but playing hard music helps you play easier music better!).

Also, the Mendelssohn violin concerto is a superb piece to learn and it's really satisfying when you can play it because, unlike a lot of pieces, it sounds as difficult as it is!

If you're into technical excercises, the Mazas studies are OK, but as a rule, I don't really like excercises. Definitely stay away from Sevcik.
Hobbit
My violin broke, I'm pissed, don't ask.
joxang
j3uk wrote:
A superb composer

Not that I can play much of his work, however there are some of the 24 caprices ( Go to www.sheetmusicarchive.net for a free copy) aren't as impossible as they look and are well worth playing just because they're hard. (I know, strange logic, but playing hard music helps you play easier music better!).

Also, the Mendelssohn violin concerto is a superb piece to learn and it's really satisfying when you can play it because, unlike a lot of pieces, it sounds as difficult as it is!

If you're into technical excercises, the Mazas studies are OK, but as a rule, I don't really like excercises. Definitely stay away from Sevcik.

I'm sorry....u suggest playing really hard pieces, but you advise him not to play exercises? The Mazas studies were written as direct preparation for playing the Paganini caprices and are a must if you intend to play them properly. And why definitely stay away from Sevcik? At an intermediate level, I learned all my articulation and highers positions from Sevcik exercises! At least give a reason...

There is no point in picking up a hard piece like a Paganini Caprice, and just playing the notes. For his easiest ones, right, you probably could play all the notes. But it will sound crap, and it will not be anything like the composed intended.

Right, you can learn by playing harder pieces, but you can also learn by playing exercises. The latter method is the much better one and the method employd by just about any decent violin teacher anywhere.

Also, the Mendelsson?! It's one of the hardest in the violin repertoire, maybe he should play something slightly easier first :p.
Balthamos
I've definitely met some of Mazas exercises before. Most of my tests are either those etudes or bits and pieces of the more difficult portions of the full orchestra pieces we play. I'll try and look into some of those free pieces you suggested.

~Balthamos
vlnjodie
Balthamos, did you find a piece to play? If not I could give you some more suggestions. I'm getting my masters degree in violin performance, and I also teach. I'm constantly helping people play peices and would be happy to recommend something. Let me know what your playing.
Balthamos
Not yet. I'm currently on vacation and am away from my violin. I can get on the internet from time to time, but probably not at whim. I'll let you know when I get back and you can help me select a piece to play, if you like.

~Balthamos
quixotic
I've just started playing violin. I'm trying to teach myself for the time being, but it's a little hard. X.x I have to wait until the fall semester starts so I can go ask the string orchestra director for advice and where I can get lessons.

Until then, I'm on my own. Sad
Balthamos
Definitely. If you are trying to learn how to play an instrument, I highly suggest a private teacher or a mentor of some sort. I think that an instrument is just one of those things that you cannot learn by yourself.

~Balthamos
johnnycake
I'm self taught violin, guitar, and piano while I believe you can learn self-taught, it stops at a certain point. You just need someone more experience than you to really excel.
vlnjodie
quixotic, if you are going to a university or something like that, often there are students who are majoring in music that would be happy to give lessons. It's good experience for them and usually it's reasonibly priced. You could probably just call the music office and they would know where to direct you.

Balthamos, just let me know when you are interested. Smile
Balthamos
Alright. It will be about a couple of weeks before I get back. If I get a chance, I'll glance at some of those free pieces and see if they are too difficult.

~Balthamos
Thundr n Lightning
You might want to look at some solo Bach. He has some very nice pieces, even though I'm not a huge Bach fan, and they vary in difficulty but generally sounds quite showy.

Also, the de Beriot No. 9 might be worth a try, as would Mozart's Concerto No. 3 in G.

I've been playing for about 7 years, but I'm not exactly the world's most dedicated. Oh, and one more to look at... Bartok's Rumanian Folk Dances, they're a lot of fun.

For etudes, I'd highly suggest the Mazas Op. 36, Special Studies; Schradiek (any of them, but Book 1 is very good for painful finger exercises); and the Sevcik. As a rule, etudes are the way to learn. Take it from someone who used to to refuse to play them, they advance your technique a great deal.
Grifff
I'm a composer - I came to this place to get a site to put my music online Smile

Is anyone interested in sheets?
j3uk
Grifff wrote:
I'm a composer - I came to this place to get a site to put my music online Smile

Is anyone interested in sheets?

What sort of stuff do you write?
j3uk
johnnycake wrote:
I'm self taught violin, guitar, and piano while I believe you can learn self-taught, it stops at a certain point. You just need someone more experience than you to really excel.

I agree. I started off on the violin with lessons then, after playing for about seven years, decided it was time to learn the piano. Couldn't find a local teacher so I learnt on a keyboard! Although I have really bad piano technique, I still enjoy playing and I was amazed at how easy it was to progress with just the base knowledge of notation and musical "grammar".
Balthamos
I've been looking around but I couldn't find a nice piece to play. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

~Balthamos
sugarbox
I don't play but i want to..
Grego.Sanders
My brother is learning to play for 1 year now, and i CANT stand the violin!!! He is playing nonstop....
spoon1985
Woah! If there were this many fiddlers at my university, my orchestra would be a lot bigger! Where I am, it's over-run by flautists. They're everywhere!
Thundr n Lightning
there is a solo Bach piece that is quite nice available a lot online. I think quite a few online sheet music sites have it. But, if you are serious about playing some standard repertoire, you're either going to have to pay to download it or buy it. Check out any major online music store for some ideas. Also, take a look at www.violinmasterclass.com for some good repertoire suggestions by level.
Zug Zug
I started playing piano at age 10, I got up to book 5 then had to stop. I love playing the piano, it's easy and fun. It's one of the most beautiful sounds to me. My grandmother played piano, she taught me the basics. My favorite piece I ever played was the Moonlit Sonata. I also love to play christmas carols, my favorite one is Silent Night. I haven't played my piano for a very long time, it's a staircase piano made by Baldwin with pecan casing ^_^, it's beautiful. Also the piano helps with singing....for the scales ^_^ puts you on the right track

Lately I've been fiddling around with the guitar...heh I'm not too good at it! I believe everyone should play at least one musical instrument. Very Happy
Garga
my girl friend playing violin but I fail... I play only guitar very well...
Karl
I play the trombone and have done this for 17 years now.
DansHorns
thats sweet! my friend has an electric violin
good luck
Billwaa
I play violin, my best advice is to play in a Orchestra. It is cool. I am in the Symphony Orcehstra my school and is flying to Italy in April to perform.

A good violin solo piece to play is the Butterfly Lover music. It is written for a Chinese love story, and it sound very beautiful. Even thought the lovers die at the end.
Dougnut King
I play, but I think I suck majorly, but it's probably all in my head Wink

I'm in the district 109 orchestra, IL, and I'm playing Alla Tchicosky, or how

ever you spell that name Boo hoo!
lalune
I used to play the bassoon in a symphonic band, really loved it.
jrs32
Used to play violin but hated it! I can't think of any really good pieces off of the top of my head. Try googling it and see what you can come up with! My brother still plays violin and is amazingly good at it.. I might ask him if he has any good ideas.
jeanlucmtl
I'm a professionnl musician. I play classical and pop music. I'm also a private music teacher and I strongly recommend a private teacher for anyone who wishes to learn an instrument. Even if it's just for fun.
Y
ou see, to play music (and make it sound good and be interesting for others) you need to create a reflex. It is very different from lerning math or history and much more like learning a language.
In french a rehearsal is called a répétition. Whatever your level you need to repeat and repeat and repeat again before getting it right.

A new piece is actually a lot like a video game. You try it over and over again until it becomes easy. Then you go get another ( maybe harder ) one.
It would be impossible to play even the easiest piece of music without having creted many reflexes. That is why musicians practise scale and studies.
jeanlucmtl
Just search the web for «free sheet music » and you'll find tons of stuff. Especially an instrument like the violin... there's a big community out there!