FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Check home server

krazycapital
Hi! I'm trying to find a way to check if people can see my server at home which I'm trying (so far un-sucessfuly) to set up. I need to be able to go somewhere and see my site like it would see it (if it even works). It always shows up for me but not for other people. So, just a place that will show me what my page looks like to viewers. Thanks!
Zach
Nyizsa
I assume that you have a local webserver, which you reach as http://localhost. To let others able to see your server, you need to know your IP address - the one your ISP provided for you, if you have static IP, or the one that is assigned at connection-time, if you have dynamic. Then you have to enable some ports (80 at least, maybe also others). Then if someone writes your IP address in his browser's address bar, he should see your site.
Is that what you wanted to know?
krazycapital
Okay. I know most of that, but how do I enable port 80? I know that's the most common http port.
mathiaus
should be able to configure it in your firewall somehow (varies wildly depending onsoftware.).
By the way do you have a direct connection or are you connected to a router? If the latter you need to enable posrt forwarding for port 80 to the IP of your computer Smile
krazycapital
I don't have a router. Thanks! *goes off to the help files*
krazycapital
One final question - Does anyone know of any good firewalls that will allow you to open port 80? I use ZoneAlarm but it doesn't let you in the free version. I need a free one. Thanks!
yjwong
If you do not have any firewall softwares previously installed, then port 80 is OPEN by default. The only possibility that people cannot access is that:

1. Your ISP has blocked port 80.
2. You have not configured Windows Firewall to allow port 80.
krazycapital
I have ZoneAlarm right now. I'll check windows firewall though. I'm starting to wonder if I should check with my ISP. I know they can disable, I just hope they didn't. I can't afford a better internet plan Razz
Edit: It was blocked... Thanks! I'll have to get someone to test it now...
test32rota
If you don't have fixed IP address. You can use no-ip.com free service. It allows access of your site without purshasing domain name and fixed IP.
krazycapital
Already with em thanks!
gstreams
Windows XP does have that firewall thing activated by defaul ... you should fin d in connection properties something to disable it or even enable port 80 connections.
krazycapital
I got it working on port 8080, but not 80. I think my ISP has blocked it. You can quit replying now...
mathiaus
krazycapital wrote:
You can quit replying now...

Bold Shocked

-close-