FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linking to the main frame.

Tryxx
Hello,

Probably like the good majority of users on this site, I'm trying to make a website. The main problem I'm running into is this: In my left frame, I have buttons that I would like to use to link to the content in the main frame.

I'm using Dreamweaver's two frame template, with a single frame on the left, and the main frame for content. (At this time all I have is text.) If I just apply the link to one of the buttons, the link comes up in the left frame, overwriting all the buttons and just having the text in that small space. But if I use the target="main" tag, it brings it up in the main frame, but deletes the left entirely.

It should be noted that I've only had Dreamweaver open for a couple hours, and have been perplexed with this problem since I've started. If I had to guess, I would think I'm having this issue because I have not registered a domain for the link to be relative to, but I wouldn't be suprised if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
LukeakaDanish
your target needs to be set to the name of your content frame.

BTW...this should prob. have been posted in HTML and Javascript forum instead of here...
GB
Agree with above and a suggestion: Have you considered using something else besides frames to design your site? These days many people are starting to use CSS to place objects on screen. However, even just setting up tables instead would be better than frames. Just a suggestion, but you may be less frustrated later on.
sprinqles
Its still okay to use frames as long as you don't overdo it. Although its better nowadays to use CSS, if you'll just get more confused then just use frames but you should start learning how to use CSS because it is much better than using frames. If you want to learn the basics of CSS go to google and look for Lissa Explains HTML. Just look for the CSS link. Smile
bnbrown
You use <a href="yourlink" target="parent">this is your link text</a>
So the just put the target="parent" into your menu or or other links.
LukeakaDanish
bnbrown wrote:
You use <a href="yourlink" target="parent">this is your link text</a>
So the just put the target="parent" into your menu or or other links.

it needs to be _parent instead of parent
bnbrown
Oh yes indeed. Wink