FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I get a laptop or a pc before college?

Should I?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 27 ]
no
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
who cares?
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 32

webcola
I heard that getting a laptop would be a bad idea, because the monitors burn out in 2 years or something. I was thinking about getting a gaming laptop so I can use it to study or game.
Scotty Too Hotty
just FYI the polls results are not great for the question asked.....you gave choices and gave closed end answers. Yes means get Lappy and no means Get Desktop.

My opinion...i bought a desktop and i hated that i didnt have the portability. I was constantly transposing notes into the computer. Ive never heard of the LapTop Monitor Burning out so quickly.

To my knowledge they use LCD displays and they are just like a regular flat screen. Plasma on the other hand burns out quickly (compared to other types of TV's etc).

Go with the Lappy. Ensure that you have WiFi (usually standard now-a-days).If your gonna be using it for gaming (ie gaming laptop) it will get quite hot compared to a non-gaming laptop due to the fact of all the hi-quality parts crammed into such a small space with minimal air. Also Gaming style lappys will run you more expensive due to the power comsumption a bigger battery is needed bigger powersupply etc etc. So if your class rooms wont have room to plug-in go with a Mobile processor or equivalent. Its a laptop for a reason Portability. So my opinion dont deck it right out.
Davidgr1200
Depends what you want it for. Which is more important:
Price and power (go for a desktop)
Portability (Go for a laptop)
Also a laptop is easier for someone to steal.
How about a desktop which you keep in your room and a minidisc player to record the lectures so that you can take notes when you get back to your room?
yaashop
also depend on what kind of thing you want convenient or performances
if you want to do your work anywhere and anytime notebook is a good choice but if you use a lot of PC use it many hours a day and play games ALOT, of course dest top is much better choice. anyway choices still yrs. good luck on any decision u made.
mathiaus
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
Ive never heard of the LapTop Monitor Burning out so quickly.

Me either! I'd say your sources were lying or seriosly misinformed Wink

If you want it for college I would say definatly. I wish I had done the same. Depending on where you go the computers are more likely than not to be rather poor so having your own laptop would be good for the fact it will work, be quicker than the others etc. You'll also have your own hard drive which will hold a lot more than the space you may be allocated at college and while flash drives are useful they do have limits still.
Another positive is travel. Dont know about you but I spend 50 minutes travelling each way. If I had a laptop I would be able to use this time productivly rather than sleeping Razz

I didn't buy a laptop for college but I wish I had. Hope you choose to and it helsp you Smile
wumingsden
I'd recommend buying a tablet PC, ideal for any student: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=tablet+pc&meta=
Liu
Why not both? I have a laptop and PC in college, both come in incredibly handy.

If you're going for a lappy, i'd recommend the new macbooks... dual processor goodness, and the ability to dual boot if you wanted too.
FerSx
I will go with a desktop PC for the room with all the gamer compatibility and maybe if u can afford it a cheap laptop, a Celeron will go ok for taking notes an work out of the room. Wink

If u can’t afford it go strait to a god laptop and forget the games. Crying or Very sad

And no laptop monitors doesn’t burn out in 2 years, If I don’t bad remember their life expectancy its 10 years of continue use.
lycadia
First of all, yes, you should get one or the other. Having a computer isn't Nessecary, unless you're taking certain classes, but it sure comes in handy.
I would strongly recommend a laptop if you have any of the following problems:
Slow handwriting speed or very poor handwriting
Hatred of typing up hand written notes
hand or wrist problems like carpal tunnel syndrome
disoganization / losing papers, ect.
Also, if you type faster then you write and are used to computers.

The downsides of a laptop are that they are easier to lose or damage and they are a couple hundred dollars more expensive.
Under no circumstances would I recommend a convertable or tablet style laptop. They are much more expensive then standard type laptops for verry very little extra functionality and are even more prone to breakage in my experiance.

You might also want to consider getting a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) aka handheld or "palmtop" computer with a folding portable keyboard if you are only interested in using it to take notes in class. I carried a set up like that for over 3 years and still carry it around for keeping appointments and notes on my spending and so on, even now that I have a laptop I carry with me. I'm a bit of a gadget lover though, and also have two desktops at home. However since computers are an important part of my work and studies, and none of my gear is new, I suppose that's not quite as obessessive as it sounds.

It may be true that laptops have a slightly shorter life then desktops but I too think that whoever told you the monitors die after two years was either mistaken or possible refering to some of the very very old (like late 80s-early 90s) laptops when they were using active matrix and other technologies for the screen. It's also important to remember that most computers -desktop or laptop- will be reaching obsolescance and getting replaced long before it actually wears out, due to the rate of advancement in hardware. For example, the computer I'm using right this minute is about to be replaced, not because it isn't working or is broken but because it not longer runs many of the programs I want to run and parts for it are becoming inconvient to find. So don't really let the idea that a laptop might not last as long as a desktop scare you off one. They are very convient.
The most important thing to consider, as others have implied, is exactly what to do you want to use it for? another consideration is your living space. If you're sharing a dorm room, a laptop saves a good bit of space and can be used away from a desk, if you want to get away from a roommate or the like.
I hope this helps but as always your milage may vary.
Mamsaac
damn, I would go for the laptop by far. Just be careful with it being stolen since it's pretty common to hear about people stealing a laptop...

the desktop is good if you will be in your home-house. Are you going to be in an apartment at college or at a shared-house? if you're, go for the laptop.
alkady
Two years? Thats still not bad if you consider the fact that the average lifespan of anything electronic is 5 years.

I wouldnt be worried about the screen burning out if 2 years, I'd be more worried about the fact laptops are highly regarded objects to thiefs and the fact they are sensitive and break easily if you drop if from a certain height.

I myself cannot wait for my laptop when hit CEGEP (Quebecs equivalent to College), Your just damn lucky.
kung_fu_stu
I bought a laptop last summer for school and it was worth every penny. It is handy and portable. I also bought a keyboard and mouse for it so when I'm at home it is pretty much like a desktop.

As far a gaming goes; I can play almost everything on it. An average price laptop (1500-2000Cnd) has the nuts to support a lot; you just can't play top of the line stuff and perhaps some new releases but there are tons of games out there.
Juparis
I'd say laptop, all the way!

I've had my laptop for over 2 years, and the display is still great--I think you're confusing the default LCD screens with the horrid plasma TV screens. But I think someone mentioned that already...

If you want one for gaming (that works well), it will run you significantly more than any of the other laptops. Something like AlienWare, Voodoo, or Falcon NorthWest, are all extremely expensive, but well worth it (if you have the money, that is). I made the mistake of buying a cheap laptop at a local Best Buy. I already destroyed one hard drive because it overheated so much. I learned not to play games on it, however I still think it's wonderful. I get a lot done, web-wise, even if I can't play games on it.

If you're going for Wi-Fi, get an external wire. It's for longer-distances and comes in handy if you travel a lot. Wink
mschnell
I bought a laptop before college and have loved it. My first semester at school I also had a pc but found it to be an incredible waste of space. Dorm rooms aren't suites. Also, if you are afraid of your laptop getting stolen I'd suggest buying a cable that clamps on to your desk. I also suggest a port replicator if you have a lot of periferals (external hdd, printer, etc). I like the laptop so much because it's easy to take my work with me anywhere I want to go. I take it to coffee shops to study because I find it extremely hard to concentrate with the roomate and TV in the dorm room. I'd get one that's thin. Not necesarily the smallest you can find, but no more than 1.5inches thick. Anywho, good luck in your decision.
webcola
Wow thanks guys for the detailed posts! Now I'm pretty convinced to get a laptop, only thing now is that I get a job for summer and buy one. Anybody know a brand in particular that would be good? I was thinking of buying one from either compaq, dell, or iBuypower.com

Thanks again for your time!
mschnell
I have Compaq and I've loved it. Most college students I see seem to have Dells now. I think that Dells usually seem a little "klunky" (as in they're a little on the larger/heavier side).
Jeslyn
Laptop is much more reasonable than a desktop. Can be taken class, and easily moved in and out of a dorm. As for security, just make sure you need a password to access the laptop and purchase a 30$ belt to secure it. Mine has an alarm that goes off the wire is cut.
alkady
webcola wrote:
Wow thanks guys for the detailed posts! Now I'm pretty convinced to get a laptop, only thing now is that I get a job for summer and buy one. Anybody know a brand in particular that would be good? I was thinking of buying one from either compaq, dell, or iBuypower.com

Oh, I thought your parents were going to pay for it. If that was the case, I'd would have recommended a Mac iBook or something like that, They look nice at the same time.

So presumming you want a Laptop PC, Stick with Dell or HP (Unless you live in Quebec or similar places where HP doesnt replace parts)

Dell is a good brand because it's pratically a de facto standard with businesses and so on.
webcola
alkady wrote:
webcola wrote:

Oh, I thought your parents were going to pay for it. If that was the case, I'd would have recommended a Mac iBook or something like that, They look nice at the same time.

So presumming you want a Laptop PC, Stick with Dell or HP (Unless you live in Quebec or similar places where HP doesnt replace parts)

Dell is a good brand because it's pratically a de facto standard with businesses and so on.

lol i wish my parents had money to buy me one. Instead of working, maybe i should just use grant money or loans to get me a laptop.

But yeah, thanks for your reply!
patafizicar
I would recommend a laptop. Right now I have a desktop that is about three years old. In front of its' huge monitor is my laptop. I only turn on the desktop for printing...

I didn't yet find disadvantages to the laptop, and I really like that it is light and portable.
Scotty Too Hotty
i wouldnt do dell. I had a Dell PC till i fried everything (my fault not dells) and well now that i re-built it, it works better, and well my brother also had a dell Lappy, he is on his 3rd HDD in 2 years, only two were warrantied becasue they were first year burnouts. His Fan is shot and he doesnt even use his for gamming.....all work, but it is his only computer

I wouldnt go HP or compaq...personally i would go with ACER. My younger brother has an acer with a AMD Sempron in it. He got it for under 1200 Canadian, and he loves it, great notebook. Ive heard many great reviews on ACER Products durability for a cheap price and they use AMD chip sets so that is even more of a plus
Balthamos
Just get one of those new MacBook Pros.

Fast, reliable, can play games on em. You can even install Windows if you wanted to (why you would do that, I don't know).

Desktops are way too big and clumsy to be fiddled with in a dorm room. Until you've been in one, you can't fathom how utterly small it is, and then later find out you only get half of that space. Laptop definitely the way to go, and you can also take it to the library or a friends place. MacBook Pro is the computer to buy.

~Balthamos
Liu
Like I said before, macbooks. Look for student discounts also.

I work as a part time pc technician, it seems that the majority of the computers we receive to fix are Dell laptops, and at times we need to contact customer service -- they're incredibly unhelpful. I have a bias, i'd say stay away from Dell. However i'm sure Dell laptops have served others well.
FerSx
How about building it yourself. Rolling Eyes
Now intel its selling laptops barebones, processors and all of parts you need to build your own laptop, it will be cheaper because your not paying for the brand (DELL, TOSHIBA), and ho knows you can use that money for building a more powerful laptop. Wink

To find more go to http://www.directron.com/nbbarebone.html
Ore just do a google search
Good Luck!
Helios
I'd buy a laptop if i were you, yes.
I don't have anything else to add...
bdoneck
A laptop is the better choice because you can bring it to your classes and do your work where ever rather than just the place that your desktop is in
cfackler
My school (RPI) requires students to have laptops. I think the portability factor is definitely a big plus to a laptop vs. a desktop. Now laptops are made to be almost as powerful as desktops, so it makes sense to have a laptop, even if you need computing power.
Scotty Too Hotty
FerSx wrote:
How about building it yourself. Rolling Eyes
Now intel its selling laptops barebones, processors and all of parts you need to build your own laptop, it will be cheaper because your not paying for the brand (DELL, TOSHIBA), and ho knows you can use that money for building a more powerful laptop. Wink

To find more go to http://www.directron.com/nbbarebone.html
Ore just do a google search
Good Luck!

are those prices canadian or american?
Mithrandir
You should totally get a computer, probably a laptop. The portability is great for going to different places and working (classroom, libary, coffe shop, dorm room, ect) and you can do things on the run. Its a must have.
[FuN]goku
Buy a laptop theyre cooler Smile thats what id buy
bigdan
Doesn't matter if its a desktop or a laptop...you need a PC at college/university...trust me on that. Wink Very Happy
kam311
Definitely get one...though it does depend on your major...I'm a computer science major and it really helps.
curnow
id go laptop not only for portability but incase powergoes out so many assignments have been saved by my laptops battery. also dont sacrifice the laptop for a PC because you want some games, this seriously dints the colledge purposes of the laptop. also laptops are becoming stronger. the laptops are easier to modify add ram ect. and there arent as many wires. the cool thing is malls cafes city areas ect. arebegining to add wireless networks to large vacinities for internet access there.
TIPS:
-dont buy for extras that you've never heard of. so many peopleget ripped off buying a phone with blutooth and not even knowing what its for or whether theyll use it.
-dont get one with a button for a mouse in the middle of the keyboard coz they are generally out of date most new or large screen laptops have touch pads.
-get a laptop with specs good for your colledge work which is more important than your games.
-ive looked around and averaged this years(so far) average laptop HDD these are between 60 and 80 gig.
-shop around, laptops are what some of us call high order goods even if your exited at the one in thefirst shop you see shop around and buy what comes out on top.
-whether you choose laptop or DT(desktop) these tips apply to both
-if a salesman tries to pressure you into buying one (cheapest or most expensive it doesnt matter) tell him to piss-off most guys in computer shops especially harveynorman dont know what theyre doing which is why theyre selling stuff and not working on hardware or software itself.

ive got to stop now because otherwise i'll have frih points number covering the whole screen.
good luck.
peace out-curnow
Juparis
webcola wrote:

On the brands:
I don't know much about Compaq, sorry. (Could be a good buy though)
I don't trust Dells. They're made for the simpletons that only want something they can take home, plug in, and go. From what I've heard, they don't last too long, and there's just so many better brands out there, if you want a good one.
iBuyPower.com looks like a place for sweet gaming computers. But if that's where you buy it, make sure you have enough specs to handle the rest of your college life. My sister has had a Gateway laptop, and it almost lasted all 4 years. It was more storage for her career and classes, and there are only a few primitive games on it. But that's all that she needed to organize all her stuff.

For other serious-gaming laptops, check out AlienWare, or if you really want to go overboard (but I wouldn't suggest it; too expensive), look in Falcon Northwest. I previously suggested Voodoo, but I take that back. After some, uh... "recent findings," I'd say they're nothing more than an AlienWare with a pretty cover and seriously heavy price tag.

Since you want to do gaming, I guess I would suggest the iBuyPower.com. Any computer that isn't advertised as a gaming device probably can't handle games (as I've learned), yet iBuyPower.com isn't too expensive either..

Whatever you do, make sure you have all the money. That, or pay off your loans right away so you get a good credit history. It's more satisfying if you work hard now, pay for it later. I thought so, anyway.
amusic
Maybe you need a laptop while doing presentation or discussing something with your group members for doing some assignments or project. However, desktop would be better for gaming than laptop. Although laptop could be used for gaming but the price is usually higher than desktop.
lycadia
I've been told by several close friends that have compaqs (both laptopsand desktops) that they are reliable and wear well. I have a thirdhand Dell right now which is clunky, but tough. The only reason I'd specifically recommend a Dell is that they offer (or did offer last time I looked) an accident warrenty. Being a bit clumsy, I thought that might be a good idea for me. I've broken innumerable portable CD players, for example, by dropping them or knocking them off the edge of a table, ect. I didn't want to be SOL if I did that with my laptop. But this one has survived a couple of tripping and jolting events without batting a lash so to speak. Anyhow, I have to go, but shop around, don't let anyone pressure you, and think about warrenty if you're going to be spending much money. You may not need it, but if you ever do, you'll be glad you have one.
Good luck computer hunting!