FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stupid Error

munkey_boy
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with a stupid error i got i was asleep this morning (it is my computer i got it for my birthday) and my mum was using it she never does anythng but have a little look at ebay and a horse website, never had any trouble. Then my sister comes up to my room at 12:20pm and says theres something wrong with the copmuter so i came down and had a look and all i could see on the screen was a quater of ym mums desktop enlarged so theres no icon or start bar so i go ctrl+alt+del>new task>explorer.exe then what did i see as the background? My sisters favorite movie star. so i log onto my account(administartor) and thsi error comes up
[img]http://www.munkeygraphics.frih.net/untitled.bmp[/img]
The error comes up when i click on my name at the logon screen
so i click ok and my normal desktop comes up but no icons so i do the ctrl+alt+del>new task>explorer.exe and it works but everytime i rebbot it comes up that error and explorer.exe doesnt boot up.

Any help? hope i was detailed enoguh Very Happy
Leetch
Eak its probably all the stuff you download...?
Traveller
You need to boot up in Safe Mode (F8) and do a good, thorough virus scan, as well as examining anything that might be loading at startup.

If nothing else, the program that initializes everything at login is named "userinit.exe" (with a T), not "userini.exe" (without the T), so it sounds like you have a Trojan somewhere on your system.
munkey_boy
Traveller wrote:
You need to boot up in Safe Mode (FCool and do a good, thorough virus scan, as well as examining anything that might be loading at startup.

If nothing else, the program that initializes everything at login is named "userinit.exe" (with a T), not "userini.exe" (without the T), so it sounds like you have a Trojan somewhere on your system.

yeh but i wonder why avg didnt pick it up
lSaKenl
she surely downloaded the movie from a fake website, and it came with a nice and powerfull spyware which modified the registry, everything you can do is reboot, reboot before windows loads so it ask you which mode you want to log in, choose ms-dos mode, and then type EDIT and look for the error there, nahh!!! it is a rusty mode! you better go to another comp download registry mechanic ISO image, burn it, insert the cd in comp, then reboot, configure your CMOS to boot the CD IDE first and click on the "Repair registry in boot mode", everything''s gonna b ok

^^

ByeZ
munkey_boy
Leetch wrote:
Eak its probably all the stuff you download...?

I said it was working fine till my sister went on there

lSaKenl wrote:

she surely downloaded the movie from a fake website, and it came with a nice and powerfull spyware which modified the registry, everything you can do is reboot, reboot before windows loads so it ask you which mode you want to log in, choose ms-dos mode, and then type EDIT and look for the error there, nahh!!! it is a rusty mode! you better go to another comp download registry mechanic ISO image, burn it, insert the cd in comp, then reboot, configure your CMOS to boot the CD IDE first and click on the "Repair registry in boot mode", everything''s gonna b ok

^^

ByeZ

I was thinkin bout something to do with the registry. I could just formatt.
munkey_boy
i know whats wrong thanks to this site http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.malwarelist.org/startup/scheda.asp%3Fnum%3D2273&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duserini.exe%2Bdownload%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D now i need to know how to fix it(coz AVG found it and i "healed" it now it has a new error:
Bones
This error isn't actually so bad. It looks like the malicious software has been removed, but there are still registry entries trying to load the virus/spyware on startup.

Have a look in msconfig (start-run and type msconfig in the box) Look at the startup tab for an item trying to load userini_dll.dll You can either disable the item right from msconfig by unchecking the box, or have a look at the path (which is likely a reg key like HKLM\software\microsoft\currentversion\run is a common one)

If you are comfortable in editing the registry, have a look at the run keys and you'll likely find it there. otherwise, just disable it in msconfig and all should be ok.
Traveller
munkey_boy wrote:
yeh but i wonder why avg didnt pick it up

No anti-virus software is 100%. In addition to whatever one is running as resident protection, one should also, periodically, run the http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ or http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner online virus scanners.

Also, even though AdAware and SpyBot catch most spyware, it is a good idea to run A-Squared (http://www.emsisoft.com/en/) once in a while, as well.
munkey_boy
Bones wrote:
This error isn't actually so bad. It looks like the malicious software has been removed, but there are still registry entries trying to load the virus/spyware on startup.

Have a look in msconfig (start-run and type msconfig in the box) Look at the startup tab for an item trying to load userini_dll.dll You can either disable the item right from msconfig by unchecking the box, or have a look at the path (which is likely a reg key like HKLM\software\microsoft\currentversion\run is a common one)

If you are comfortable in editing the registry, have a look at the run keys and you'll likely find it there. otherwise, just disable it in msconfig and all should be ok.

Well i couldnt find it in msconfig and i cant find it in the registry but for some reason (this may sound nooby) there isnt as many registry keys/strings as there is in msconfig on the bootup tab
lSaKenl
Quote:

Quote:
lSaKenl escribió:

^^

ByeZ

Quote:

I was thinkin bout something to do with the registry. I could just formatt

yes! it is surely the registry, but, would you got line by line looking for the error? just let a tool do it for you, trust me, it is easier ^^

also you can reformat, easier though, and give you some features like more speed and things, i just suggested thinking about you, thinking that you have something in hard drive that you dont want to lose ^^
IceCreamTruck
OK, first I would never set my mom up as a power user. Setting people up with administrator, or power user settings is crazy especially if they don't need those permissions. This will stop her from accidentally installing software that could cause this problem.

Remove her username from the system all together, run a few different virus removal tools, after installing Zone Alarm (free firewall) and then set her up as a normal "user" on your system without install ability, and this will stop her from falling victim to the tricks that spyware installers go through to get her to intall bad software, but it will not stop her from using the computer. Also, are you absolutely sure that you don't have things on the computer that your mum could stand to not see, or have hidden from her conserned eyes? if she is an administrator on the system there is no way to hide things.

Sit down with her the first time she uses your computer and install all the software she needs, stop zone alarm from giving her a bunch of messages she doesn't need to see every time she trys to do something, and tell her that when a program trys to install itself she is going to have to ask you to do it for her. Now doesn't that make you both feel a little better?

Your first mistake was giving permissions to people that don't need them. Heck even my roomate is a normal "user" on my system because he is a great computer user, but he isn't an administrator like me ( he knows it ), and he is willing to have to ask me to install everything that he needs to use. He's so nice to live with me being uptight. Laughing
munkey_boy
IceCreamTruck wrote:
OK, first I would never set my mom up as a power user. Setting people up with administrator, or power user settings is crazy especially if they don't need those permissions. This will stop her from accidentally installing software that could cause this problem.

Remove her username from the system all together, run a few different virus removal tools, after installing Zone Alarm (free firewall) and then set her up as a normal "user" on your system without install ability, and this will stop her from falling victim to the tricks that spyware installers go through to get her to intall bad software, but it will not stop her from using the computer. Also, are you absolutely sure that you don't have things on the computer that your mum could stand to not see, or have hidden from her conserned eyes? if she is an administrator on the system there is no way to hide things.

Sit down with her the first time she uses your computer and install all the software she needs, stop zone alarm from giving her a bunch of messages she doesn't need to see every time she trys to do something, and tell her that when a program trys to install itself she is going to have to ask you to do it for her. Now doesn't that make you both feel a little better?

Your first mistake was giving permissions to people that don't need them. Heck even my roomate is a normal "user" on my system because he is a great computer user, but he isn't an administrator like me ( he knows it ), and he is willing to have to ask me to install everything that he needs to use. He's so nice to live with me being uptight. Laughing

My mum isnt a administrator..... and she never goes on my account
munkey_boy
lSaKenl wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
lSaKenl escribió:

^^

ByeZ

Quote:

I was thinkin bout something to do with the registry. I could just formatt

yes! it is surely the registry, but, would you got line by line looking for the error? just let a tool do it for you, trust me, it is easier ^^

also you can reformat, easier though, and give you some features like more speed and things, i just suggested thinking about you, thinking that you have something in hard drive that you dont want to lose ^^

If i ever have to formatt i always back things up