FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Brand Name or Generic?

Do you Prefer Name Brand or Generic?
Name Brand
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Generic Brand
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

alkady
Are you a name brand type or Generic? If so state why if possible.

I'm the name brand man type when it comes to sport wear, Shoes ect. But I do go generic from time to time.
Th3St1ck
I prefer brand name when it comes to clothes, but if i'm buying something like computer parts, i prefer generic because they are usually the same quality, but cost less.
photon
i go for brand name only if it really offers me something extra. it should be worth the extra money that i spend. mostly get unbranded clothes and accessories (i dont like spending too much money on clothes) but computer and electronic stuff, i get branded (obviously). stay away from the cheap chinese stuff as far as possible
alkady
photon wrote:
stay away from the cheap chinese stuff as far as possible

Nothing wrong with Made in China when it comes to the cheap stuff, Such as Pencils, Pens ect. You know things under $10.00. But I do recommend going for quality when it comes to things that you want to last a lifetime and/or is expensive.
Blaster
It all depends. Some stuff the generic brand tast better. Like Sams choice rootbeer (walmart's soda) tast better then other rootbeers. So really it all depends on tast to me.
mark25
i recommend you to buy brand names because of its durability... but it also depends on the name itself...
mstreet
When it comes to clothing I will go for either I usually go for the best bargain though. Now for shoes that is a total different story. I have no problems spending money on a good pair of quality name brand shoes that are going to last me for more than a year. I have bought the cheaper shoes in the past but I only do this when I feel that the style of the shoe is going to be out of style within 3 months but they usually fall apart or are very uncomfortable.
{name here}
Unless it's technology, I go with generic because it's the same dang thing as the brand name only cheaper.
David_Pardy
This is a question where I think most of us can use both answers Smile.

I buy generic for clothes, shoes, Ibuprofen, etc., as well as a lot of food.

I NEVER buy anything BUT name brands when it comes to drumming gear - with the exception of my Byzantine ride cymbal. If you buy generic drumming gear, you're only wasting your money in 99% of cases.
ocalhoun
Generic, of course. It's the same for my choice in OS's: linux.
Generic is expecialy good for drugs.
Jeslyn
I prefer brand name foods. Though I don't care if its brand name or generic when it comes to clothes or medicines.
Nameless
Generic, in most cases. 9/10 the Generic Shirt, Generic Cereal, Generic Medicine etc. is just as effective at clothing you, being tasty and health, fixes your ails etc. as the Brand name, and much cheaper. People who only buy brand names are stupid, in my opinion. There are only a few cases where I would prefer branded stuff, and that's when it is noticably higher in quallity.
TeenZine
You said you like ofbrand medicin i hate it i notice the diffrence.
Miniwood
TeenZine wrote:

Branded medicine is the biggest rip-off of all. You can't notice the difference because there cannot be a difference. Drugs are licenced by the government and must have exactly the same ingredients, branded or not.

I go generic whenever it makes no difference, which is most of the time. But I buy Sennheiser headphones etc. Sometimes the brand is better.
alkady
Miniwood wrote:
TeenZine wrote:

Branded medicine is the biggest rip-off of all. You can't notice the difference because there cannot be a difference. Drugs are licenced by the government and must have exactly the same ingredients, branded or not.

I go generic whenever it makes no difference, which is most of the time. But I buy Sennheiser headphones etc. Sometimes the brand is better.

It is a rip off because they have to research and develop the drug, Which is the reason why these things cost a fortune, The patent only last 10 years or so and after that, Anyone can make the same drug as long as it's indentical the way the drug is made. Generics dont have consider the cost of research.

I'm telling you when they discover a cure for AIDS, The thing will cost like $100,000 or so just for treatment considering they spent billions on it.
Jim_the_cat
I care only about the look of it. if its cool looking and is made by a crappy company than yes, I will buy it! It shall remain in my pocket
Miniwood
alkady wrote:

It is a rip off because they have to research and develop the drug, Which is the reason why these things cost a fortune, The patent only last 10 years or so and after that, Anyone can make the same drug as long as it's indentical the way the drug is made. Generics dont have consider the cost of research.

I'm telling you when they discover a cure for AIDS, The thing will cost like $100,000 or so just for treatment considering they spent billions on it.

That's not quite what I meant. Drug companies have ten years to recoup their research expenses and make a profit that's true but it wasn't my point.

Drugs have different names throughout the world but, as an example, here in the UK we have a drug called Nurofen, it's just Ibuprofen but it costs more because it's a brand name. Anyone who says "I buy Nurofen because it's better than plain generic Ibuprofen" is fooling themselves because they are exactly the same drug.
quixotic
I buy generic whenever possible, especially when it comes to food (Aldi's for the WIN), except for meats. I never buy discount store meats. For soda I like Sam's Choice, Sweet Valley, or Max Cola, simply because they're cheaper, and they have the same range of flavor as RC, Pepsi and Coke.

For clothes, I LIKE a name brand, like Charlotte Russe, but if I can find the same thing at a store like WalMart, or even at Goodwill, then I'll buy it there, or make it myself if I can.

For computer parts, generic all the way, but only as long as I can get some personal testimony on the part first so I'm sure of what I'm getting.

Pet food, I prefer name brands. I trust them more, and I spoil my babies.

Art supplies, also name brand. I trust the names like Prisma, Blick, and Copic, so I buy those.
marques1975
Althouh I´m in favour of cheaper prices, when I buy something to last one or more years, i prefer brand products.
When I bought my computer, my printer or my celular, i´ve chosen those brands that i trust the most in each situation.
If what´s at stake are medicine produts, if it is for something serious, i prefer a brand one, if it´s only an headache I buy a generic one.

Oscar
skygaia
I prefer name brand for most product what I need.
I know name brand is so expensive than generice. But that give me trust. Of course, I can't saty all name brand are better quality than generic.
But I believe most of brand name have good quality.
(There is no rule without exceptions)
SunburnedCactus
Can't beat brand name goods for that capitalist satisfaction.

Also the aftersales tends to be much better.
nilsmo
I go to generic with clothes because I don't care much for them.