FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

backing up a db in phpbb

Hobbit
Ok, so I have my old database for a forum. I want to put it back up. What do I do?

Last time I tried it I got errors. Confused

I simply logged in to the admin panel, backed up my database, then installed phpbb again, and put the database in again. But I got errors, did I do something wrong?

ps. the database names were different, could that be the problem?
Bondings
Maybe it's a different version of phpbb?
wumingsden
backup from phpmyadmin next time. if you want send me the files and i will *try* and do it for you. i'll also need your hosting details.
Hobbit
That would be good, although the word *try* scares me haha. I would greatly appreciate it, I'll contact you later on. Very Happy

I'm planning on paying for a host for my main website, and keep my other smaller sites hosted here.
wumingsden
Hobbit wrote:
That would be good, although the word *try* scares me haha. I would greatly appreciate it, I'll contact you later on. Very Happy

I'm planning on paying for a host for my main website, and keep my other smaller sites hosted here.

I said *try* because I don't want to promise anything. I don't backup my database through phpBB (in case stuff like this happens) so I only do it through phpBB. I am however a little experienced at phpBB/mySQL, etc, so I shouldn't have any problems.
Bondings
Hobbit, when you backed up the database, was it phpBB 2.0.20? The backup and restore are also on the same server, server 2, right?

(just checking because a different phpBB version will give some errors, a different mysql version most likely too)

Otherwise, it might also be useful to tell us which errors do you get. Most likely it's just a small error.

Also, you didn't install modifications which made changes to the database like adding tables? Because the phpBB backup doesn't back those up.
Hobbit
I didn't have any mods. And I'm pretty sure it was the same version of phpbb (the latest version). I think the error was a 403, not sure, but it wasn't a mysql error.

Sorry if I'm not helping much, but this was over a month. I just wanted to know WHY because later on I will need to back it up again (not that db, but another one).
krazycapital
Is it something like this:
Quote:
Forbbidden.
You do not have permission to access /phpmyadmin/read_dump.php from this *something*
Or something close? I'm doing that from memory. I got it a few times too. I'm not sure why it is.
Hobbit
Wooo! I managed to do it myself, I love challenges. I was gonna ask for help, but that would only make me dumber, and I need to learn the most I can ( don't ask).

The difference between this back up and the last, is that I used the same database name, username, etc. Last time I had different database names, I didn't know that affected it.
wumingsden
Hobbit wrote:
Wooo! I managed to do it myself, I love challenges. I was gonna ask for help, but that would only make me dumber, and I need to learn the most I can ( don't ask).

The difference between this back up and the last, is that I used the same database name, username, etc. Last time I had different database names, I didn't know that affected it.

Usually it doesn't much. Right at the beginning at the SQL file it'll just state which database it'll need which isn't needed. If you got rid of this line then uploaded it to your chosen database then everything should have worked fine.
Congratulations on doing it yourself, do you wish for this thread to be locked ?
Hobbit
Thanks. Yes, bring lockage to this thread.