FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer upgrade

munkey_boy
Hi everyone, i wanna upgrade my computer atm i got

AMD athatlon XP 2500+

512 mb of ddr 400 ram (i think not sure bout 400)

120gb hardrive (dont fell like getting a bigger one)

Jetway KT600 motherboard

Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 256mb

and i want atleast

AMD 64 3200+ (dont want it to good coz i got a budget Sad )

1gb of ram. (dunno what type)

Any motherboard coz i dont know much bout them but i want it good.

And i wanna keep my vid card.

Thanks, any tips on upgrading or how much its gonna cost un aussie dollars?

(Edit - I think my video card is AGP not AGPExpress)
oneightwo
i think you meant PCIe, but i can't realy help you. i don't know much about AMD Chips/Mobo but i can tell you an extra 512 ram will cost you about $60-70
munkey_boy
oneightwo wrote:
i think you meant PCIe, but i can't realy help you. i don't know much about AMD Chips/Mobo but i can tell you an extra 512 ram will cost you about $60-70

thanks anyway Smile
psycosquirrel
Just get another 512mb of ram, wait about a year, then get a better system when you have more money.
gh0stface
You might want to wait a bit. AMD and Intel are both coming out with new chips. Supposedly the Intel chip is going to blow AMD out of the water. Which is kind of unfortunate as I'm an AMD fan boy. So the prices of the older AMD 64 chips will probably fall quite a bit.

A motherboard you want to look into is PCI-e as they are the futre as AGP based video cards are going to get phased out mainly because they're slower. That way you'll be more future proof.
munkey_boy
gh0stface wrote:
You might want to wait a bit. AMD and Intel are both coming out with new chips. Supposedly the Intel chip is going to blow AMD out of the water. Which is kind of unfortunate as I'm an AMD fan boy. So the prices of the older AMD 64 chips will probably fall quite a bit.

A motherboard you want to look into is PCI-e as they are the futre as AGP based video cards are going to get phased out mainly because they're slower. That way you'll be more future proof.

yeh but i want t keep my video card so i can save money because its fairly decent. and i am gonna have a bit of trouble finding a AGP coz i they dont make em anymore
psycosquirrel
Actually, it is kinda bad. A 6600GT is decent. Your 5700 is alright, but definently needs upgraded.

You really need to build a new system with PCI-E. AGP systems are NOT worth upgrading right now; you should just upgrade your RAM, wait a year, then get a 939 system when AM2 and Conroe are out.
DecayClan
Quote:

Be sure that it will happen...
If you want a small round the edge upgrade then:
Buy an AMD 3200+ S756 which is compatible with your current motherboard
And an other module of 512MB Ram, SAME BRAND,TYPE,SPPED with the one that you have now...
These changes, will cost you about 150Euros...But they will make your pc running a lot faster...
These will probably be enough for about 6-12months, until all the new series come out, and everything becomes better and cheaper.Otherwise, you will have to buy new M/B, CPU,Ram,Power Supply,Graphic Card, and they are going to cost you REALLY, alot more, and will probably be powerless compared with the new series...So give 150Euros now, and wait for the companies to start a new war Razz
ForceRun
Ever read Toms hardware Guide? Sweet upgrade ideas for really cheap...

Fast easy upgrade is get 512MB more Ram call it good...

If you are a gamer grab a 6600GT Video card $80-$120 and you will see great game preformance (however, realise it can play all the games out to day well, but it won't play the next generation of games)

In the computer world upgrading basicly means buying a whole new setup. Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

$130 for a new Dual Core 2.66 Intel CPU that with a co0ling upgrade $40-60 can Easily OC to 4 Ghz!!!! That is matching the top dogs that cost $1000. So you would need new MoBo for $50-200, Get DDR2, 2GB for $130 or so, Video card: $270 for a GeForce7900GT!!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015
$40-120 for Case and Power Supply.

You can use you old Hard Disk and Optical Drives or get new one too.

My brother is in the process of putting this system together, the CPU does really Overclock great, he still needs to get his video card, but for every thing else only cost him $360!! (Thats the price of a Low end DELL) So when he get the video card it will be around $700 for the whole deal. DO what he did and sell your old system for upgrading cash, here is hishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8814805975&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thats the system for gaming...

Do the same thing but cut out the high end video card if you arn't a gamer but still want major preformance for a sweet deal.
Naif
Hi munkey_boy. You didnt specify what your budget is? I will suggest that you sell your AGP graphics card and buy a new PCIE card because most newer motherboards are coming with PCIE cards. And PCIE is the next generation for graphics cards. I will recommend you to go for an ASUS motherboard. Give me your budget and I will list a few good motherboards manufactured by ASUS.

For RAM, go for 2 x Transcend 512 MB modules so that they'll work in dual channel mode.