FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Robot.txt and Meta tags

NjRocket
Hey guys, i went to submit my site to like 30 search engines for free, for the most part they all went through, but there was like 2 that came back failing. The reason one came back was because of a lack of robot.txt. How do i make thta and what should i put on it. Does this have to be placed just on the index page or every single page i have? The last problem they had was a lack of meta tags describing my site and using key words. I made the changes, but only to the index page. Do i have to change them all again too?

Another question I have is, where on my site coding does it say what would come up under the description of my site, like what would be seen under google or something. I want to make sure it says what i want, thanks alot guys.
Scorpio
Quote:
Another question I have is, where on my site coding does it say what would come up under the description of my site, like what would be seen under google or something. I want to make sure it says what i want, thanks alot guys.

Well, this is not determined by you. The keywords will be used by a search engine in a way that your site appears for a particular key word.

But the description will differ. For example when you give a particular line for searching, that line in your site wil be shown.

even if it is not in the meta description, that line will be shown if it is just part of the static content of your site
manumiglani
Well, you do not need to create any robots.txt file if you do not want to stop spider accessing your specified directories.

I will suggest you not to worry about the robots.txt file. Search Engines will still list your website in their search results if you do not have any robots.txt file on your site. I do not have any robots.txt file on any of my sites.

You can make robots.txt file here.
http://www.webtoolcentral.com/webmaster/tools/robots_txt_file_generator/

here is a tutorial of making robots.txt file. http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.4.1.1

Quote:
Does this have to be placed just on the index page or every single page i have?
This file is not be placed either on index page or on the other pages. This file is to be uploaded to public_html directory. Open notepad fill the required code in it and then save it as robots.txt and upload it to public_html directory.

Quote:
The last problem they had was a lack of meta tags describing my site and using key words. I made the changes, but only to the index page. Do i have to change them all again too?
Well, for that use mata tag analyzer tool to analyze your meta tags. http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html
If it says you have any problem ( red colour ) with your mets tags, then try to rectify it. Do not worry about warnings (orange colour).

Quote:

No coding on your site will say anything to search engines anything on how to show your website in search results.

It simply depends on your description meta tag. Search Engine usually displays the text present in your description meta tag. But, if you have no description meta tag, your description tag looks spam, broken description meta tag etc. then search engine will take anything from your site depending upon the keyword searched and your site's structure. Also, if your website is listed in www.dmoz.org directory, then search engines will take your site's description from there and provide the dmoz desciption while listing your website in their search results.

Please ask again without hesitation if it is not clear.
NjRocket
thanks for the info, that site is pretty good for free lol. The only question i have is with the description meta tag, what is the coding for it, and where should it be placed, it keeps coming up as i don't have it. I know thats a main thing for search engines, let me know. Thanks
manumiglani
NjRocket wrote:
thanks for the info, that site is pretty good for free lol. The only question i have is with the description meta tag, what is the coding for it, and where should it be placed, it keeps coming up as i don't have it. I know thats a main thing for search engines, let me know. Thanks

http://www.addme.com/meta.htm use this tool to generate your meta tags online and place the code obtained inside your <head> </head> tag.

Description meta tag plays a part in your search engine rankings. Don't forget to add your main keywords inside your meta description tag.
NjRocket
cool, everything looks good according to the free test. Is there any way to find out the exact number you are in a search besides actually going through each page and trying to find it? Just curious
manumiglani
NjRocket wrote:
cool, everything looks good according to the free test. Is there any way to find out the exact number you are in a search besides actually going through each page and trying to find it? Just curious

Yes infact there are tools to check your website's rankings in various search engines. I use http://www.mikes-marketing-tools.com/ranking-reports/
NjRocket
manumiglani wrote:
NjRocket wrote:

Yes infact there are tools to check your website's rankings in various search engines. I use http://www.mikes-marketing-tools.com/ranking-reports/

thanks that looks like a great tool, the problem is my site is in the works and just starting so i'm not in the top 50 of anything lol.