FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a difference between "I know" and "I

picsite
Is there a difference between "I know" and "I think know"?

My response.....no, because as soon as you say "I" it becomes your context. So if doesn't matter whether you think or you only know because its still "you". It is not a hard fact which everyone knows, for eg. the world is round. We had this as a topic one day in our philosophy class, everyone except me thought that there was a difference and then I went up and brought up this "I" context thing and everyone was like ..............

Lets here what you have to say, and if you say this question is stupid then you're not in the right section for posting messages. Because there is not one question is asked in the context of philosphy that can be stupid. Have fun!
a_dubDesign
The only difference would be the confidence of the person saying it.

"I think" tends to mean they could be wrong, theres doubt or at least room for doubt in the person head.

"I know" doesn't really mean its right, but theres no doubt in the persons mind that it is right.

You're right saying theres no difference, in the bearing of the truthfulness of the statement. Only the person's belief in the statement.
tidruG
There definitely has to be a difference between "I think" and "I know". The difference is in the attitude and the position of the person speaking these lines.
As a_dub said, "I think" implies probably uncertainty, and in other cases, room for more thinking and change of opinion in the speaker's mind.
"I know" implies that the speaker is completely certain about something, and (generally) leaves no room for doubt or debate.

There were a few more points that I needed to make, but my brain's switching off now... I must get some sleep because it's quite late... I'm surprised I'm not making typos, which are generally common when I'm sleepy, and my fingers refuse to obey me... Razz
Tex_Arcana
Here is another context to throw in, how about "I believe"?

I've caught on to this one from Ol' W. Every once and a while he will slip in something like "I believe" or "I don't believe" and it is a very clever way to side step whether something is true or not. Think of it this way, you can say, "I believe in the Easter Bunny". This moves the emphesis of truthfulness away from whether or not the Easter Bunny actually exists to whether or not you actually believe in the Easter Bunny.

In other words you can say that you believe or not believe in any concpt whether it's true or false or any object or being whether it exists or not. The emphesis is on the belief or disbelief. Of course if you say, "I think I believe ...." then your just lost.
livilou
I believe there is a difference between the two. Normally when a person states "I know" it usually means they believe this point beyond a shadow of a doubt, leaving no room for discussion. When a person states "I think" they are willing to listen and see if what another person is saying makes sense to them and might fit better. I personally like the saying "My understanding of 'whatever' is this". As far as the term "I believe", to my way of thinking, it's kind of in the middle of "I know" and "I think".