FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD-RAM Questions

Josso
Ok so I'm getting a new camcorder for all my filmwork and most of the DVD capable ones use 3" DVD-RAM's.

Firstly I was wondering how to find out if one of the drives on my PC is DVD-RAM capable (although I havn't checked the model number yet sorry, I think it's in BIOS somewhere).

Secondly I saw this comment on one of the reviews - it was something like "I can see why Sony use DVD-RAM's instead of RW's. You can get 100s of record-wipe processes out of them". Surely it's unlimited re-writing as long as you don't corrupt it somehow by scratching but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway... thanks in advance.

PS. I encountered another problem with actually finding out the video resolution of camera (in the format of 640x480, 1024x760 etc). The only definition I could find that determined what video resolution it could be is "True Widescreen" that according to Argos is playable on a wide screen TV without any streching (this would be 14xx*11xx I remember my friends XM2 records at it). Is true widescreen actually defined as that resolution can someone tell me? cheers.
ocalhoun
If you don't know if it is compatable, it's probably not, not for writing anyway. You should, theoreticly, be able to read them with any DVD-ROM.
Donutey
ocalhoun wrote:
If you don't know if it is compatable, it's probably not, not for writing anyway. You should, theoreticly, be able to read them with any DVD-ROM.

very few dvd rom drives read DVD-RAM catridges(sp?) you'll have to look for a specific player/recorder for them.

quote from wikipedia
Quote:

Most DVD devices do not support DVD-RAM.
waihung
DVD-ram is the only media that doesnt need finalizing like other cds or dvd does.
its like a dvd-rw, only that it doesnt need finalizing.
so u can drag and drop files into it as if its a thumb drive.

i got these info from my lg dvd-rw manual.
lg dvdrw 4167b is able to read and write dvd-rams.
brweb
So, It's like a HDD type technology thats just copy and paste or something else?
Darius
Despite it need a different optical device to work with it and is not as cheap as DVD, DVD-RAM is a very good thing. Especialy if you need big backup copies. It a bit slow but with a speed of x5 you could rewrite a disk 10000 times, when a DVD-RW - 1000
Bones
Donutey wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

very few dvd rom drives read DVD-RAM catridges(sp?) you'll have to look for a specific player/recorder for them.

quote from wikipedia
Quote:

Most DVD devices do not support DVD-RAM.

DVD Ram are disks not cartridges well ok they used to be cartridges but not anymore since hardware manufacturers started adding dvd-ram capabilities to standard dvd writers
spacefinder
I have a lg dvdrw 4167b and it works great!

I've not heard of anyone saying cartridge for a burner for at least 8 years!
I remember when I had to use them at school for 1x CDs!