FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I went the no image route!! What do you think?

IceCreamTruck
The website in qeustion is space.frih.net and I want to know what you guys think about a website with almost no images. The only images on the site are the little lines made by stretching a small jpg out to the desired length as a seporation line between header text and body text.

There is also a cool dilbert image on the site, but it is my Avatar here in the frihost forums. Dogbert casting out the demons of stupidity!! I saw that and it was too perfect for an avatar!! Laughing

Tell me what you think by replying here or send an email to icecream@space.frih.net

Hope you enjoy the jokes too!! BTW, bookmark the space jokes because it is the last time they will all be easily read on the same page. I'm going to split them up over a series of pages, and I will removed the collective joke page from the navigation. So if you need a space joke to impress that girl you've been wanting to hit on then you'd better bookmark now!! hehe!
LukeakaDanish
Well...for a no-image page, it looks ok...

But to be honest, a page about space should have some fancy graphics...or at least a photo of a planet or something...the way it is now it looks, plain - almost boaring, and kindof amateurish...i suggest a graphic banner at the top, as the very least...

Also, the page doesnt display the same in IE and FF...more specifically the hover effect on your title looks very wierd in FF...

The google adds, which seem to be very central to your site, are wierd aswel...it seams like you have no keywords, although i can see that you do. Perhaps you should reconcider what they say.

The colour scheme is ok however once again i must say its a little boaring and really doesnt make your site stand out in any way.

Sorry for the hard critisism...its only my oppinion, so you can safely ignore it.. Wink

Luke
riv
Yes, the layout's kinda so-so... The ads aren't that much of a focal point, but it gets to the point where its annoying. I would suggest as well using some images for the title and such, since images really add to the user experience. Sort of like the soundtrack to a movie. I suggest using a fixed-width layout, which would provide some resting area for your eyes, easing the cluttered appereance. Also, I'd use "border-bottom: 1px solid #000;" instead of jpegs for the black underlining lines.

I apologize for the critism as Luke did. You can ignore this post as well. And you can remember that web design is subjective, and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
Seriously i'm just happy that you've taken the time to look at it, and give me your feelings. I just wanted to know what you think, because this is the FIRST roll-out of a site in the public webspace that I've gotten on FriHost.

I don't think it's too bad for virtually no images, and I haven't used other browsers to see how it holds up. Thanks for the heads up on firefox not looking the same.

The beauty of this website lies in the fact that the whole thing would fit on a 3.25 floppy disk, but that will soon change as I am working on adding more content as we speak.

Thanks for being truthful about the site because it will help me make it better.

Things that will soon change:
#1 I will be adding graphics. I was just looking around the web for a free graphic editor that works like photoshop. I don't have an extra $500 dollars laying around, so I needed an open source option and I've found The Gimp and I'm learning how to use it.

#2 More site content. Always adding new ideas to the version on my home server, but I want the one that is public to be complete so I will not be adding anything to it that is a work in progress.

#3 I will be testing it in IE, Netscape, and FireFox but as far as everyone else goes they are out of luck because the testing will stop there.

#4 I will be adding other ads as I find time to setup more affiliate programs for the site. Google adsense isn't the end all for site advertising it's just a place-holder for the ad-content sections I will have on the site.

Thanks again!! You guys rule.
Donutey
you might want to change the color of the links, or font, both are pretty "default" settings (times new roman, and blue color)
IceCreamTruck
The links are part of the CSS, and I will be updating that shortly. Thanks!!
IceCreamTruck
I few more updates to the site. I'll point them out because many follow your suggestions.

#1 added a logo image with mouse-over effect.

#2 added css font defaults ( i liked the "Georgia" font and implemented it site-wide )

#3 added css link colors for link, visited, hover and styles for header links.

#4 generally grooming HTML to make changes easier to make in the long run.

Check it out and see what you think about these new changes, cause I think they are right on track with what most of you have said. Thanks again for the feedback.

I go now to install some other browsers for cross-browser checking. I will not be supporting other browsers as much as IE because that is the browser that I use, but I will make sure that the site maintains look and feel accross IE, FireFox, and Netscape (grrrr!).

Thanks again guys, and I would appreciate you guys going back and letting me know what you think about the new versus the old while it's still fresh in your minds.
LukeakaDanish
That was a major improvement!!! Great job wit the banner - it gives JUST the right feel to your page - really adds some personality...SUPER!

The font looks good aswel, however I think you could increase the line-height of your paragraphs to make them more easy to read and make the content seem less cluttered.

Quote:
Google Ads - Google targets these ads for you, so please take time to browse them over!

Im not sure google would approve of this comment. The rules of addsence very clearly state that you are not allowed to encourage your visitors to click you adds. This kind of comment could get your addsence account disabled, and loose you any money you have already made with the adds.

I also think you could change the colour of the adds to fit into your sites general colou scheme. They will stand out less, which will make your page look and feel more profesional.

I also still think your linkmenu could use some improvement. The most irritating thing, in my oppinion, is that clicked links become blue. When half of the links are blue and the other half red, it starts to be a little confusing...i was unsure what those colours meant. - i suggest a minor colour change eg. from NAVY to BLUE or from #CC0000 to #990000

Luke
Scorpio
Yes, always maintain the standard colors for visited links, unclicked links etc.
It will help users to browse without confusion
IceCreamTruck
LukeakaDanish wrote:
The font looks good aswel, however I think you could increase the line-height of your paragraphs to make them more easy to read and make the content seem less cluttered.

I did just that. I increased the line height and you were right. It does make it alittle easier to read, but I'm not sure i'm sticking with that font anyway ("Georgia"). It's just temporary until I can find a default font that I like better.

LukeakaDanish wrote:
Im not sure google would approve of [browse the ads] comment.

The comment in question was engineered to comply with the terms of use on google, in that, it doesn't say "click" the ads but to browse them over. It has been removed because I figure if you don't notice the technicality, then google might not either. I'd rather not be banned like so many i've seen here are banned. thanks for the concern.
IceCreamTruck
this is an ongoing issue, but I've done some cross-browser checking and will continue to do so.

The browsers I'm currently supporting (let me know here what other browsers you are using and the effect my site has - go now!).

1. IE 7 (i'm pretty sure IE 6 is the same)
  2. Netscape (grrrrr,a.o.hell)
  3. Opera (woot!)
  4. FireFox (It's a new thing for me, but seems faster than IE 7.. and a good little browser to be sure!)

Some things to note about each. IE 7 is currently the browser I use most, so the page was built and tested using this browser. Netscape is a good option and has features that I like, but generally no browser has ever given me so much trouble as a developer (it used to be much more of a problem than it is today. started developing 8 years ago!), but I am still not a big fan of this browser and it's the biggest of the four which makes it something i'm not likely to keep for long. hey, i can always reinstall it if I need to do further trouble-shooting later on. Opera, also kind of a problem for developers (html just doesn't behave the same), but generally I am a fan of this small, quick, non-system-intensive browser. I was totally new to FireFox before today. Seems like it has a lot of the features of IE7beta, but it's a light browser, installs quick, and seems to be alittle faster than IE7. I will be exploring this browser more, and since it's now a feature on Google the number of people using it has really gone up, so supporting this browser is a total must.

Hopefully the changes to the website today have fixed many of the issues the site had (i.e. some of the mouse-over effects looked weird) and, in fact, I made all of one change as a result of the cross-browser checking, and I'm happy with how the site appears in each of these "top-line" browsers.

To all those out there using something else to browse my site...good luck. I would appreciate any heads-up as far as using third party browsers is working out for you on my site, but for the most part...if you aren't using one of these 4 browsers (IE, Unrecomended Netscape, Opera, FireFox) considder switching to one of these, because my site follows the current standards in website syntax, and if you aren't able to see it then it's not really so much my problem as it is your browser is not with the times as far as html, javascript, and css goes. You might have more problems than viewing my site, and it's not fair to judge my site too harshly unless you are using the same browsers that 90% of the people in the world are using.

Well, thanks for your support guys and your responses!! You've been wonderful, and I am so grateful.
Donutey
Pages do not show up the same in IE6 and IE7. IE6 has a lot more quirks and I'm pretty sure it doesn't parse CSS correctly. However, with IE7 coming out soon, and more people moving to alternative browsers, it shouldn't matter that much.

@riv
I'm pretty sure from the marketplace you had someone design your sig for you, do you remember who it was?
IceCreamTruck
Donutey wrote:
@riv
I'm pretty sure from the marketplace you had someone design your sig for you, do you remember who it was?

I'm not sure what you mean here, or if you are talking to me, but I designed my signature myself.

I orriginally wanted to put this same table up in HTML with the only image being the dogbert on the right, but HTML is not allowed here, so I pulled the webpage up in a browser, took a screen-shot, and made the graphic so that I could still have it look the same as it would have in HTML.
Donutey
@ = at or to
riv = frihost person/thing

but yea sorry about the confusion.
IceCreamTruck
Hey,
have you taken a look at the site reciently? Lots of new changes and cool things for space information seekers, and webmasters too. Whole sections devoted to each.

Right now I'm going to head back into working on building more content, but I just wanted to see if i could get you guys to review what is now version number 4 of my site. I just implemented a lot of changes that were suggested here, and in other topics.

I'm looking for some comments to come back about this new look and feel. Browse around the site and let me know what you think!!

Cheers, and happy web developing on your own sites!! BTW, i'm willing to trade site evaluations with any other people looking to know what people think about their sites.
Marston
It's a nice site, man. I especially like the tabs.

Good job. Wink
Mamsaac
very nice design.

I never saw the no images version, but this one looks good Smile
LukeakaDanish
I also quite like the new design

- you've kept all the good simplicity of your previous attempt (which means its only 80kb to load) but you've also included some smooth gradients and some nice graphics which say loudly what your site is about - that is great news for users Very Happy

Things which still might be improved:

It looks somewhat over-crowded - try increasing the margins around your paragraphs and title and also try increasing the "line-height" for your text (css attribute)

Your stonehenge images (or whatever it is Wink) breaks the text in a wierd way at low resolution. Try making it a float.

Your adverts could be re-colorschemed to fit your site

Also your paypal logo would look betetr on a white background (perhaps you could put it in a box) as it has a drop shadow

Thats all and good luck with your page

Sincerely

Luke
IceCreamTruck
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I also quite like the new design

- you've kept all the good simplicity of your previous attempt (which means its only 80kb to load) but you've also included some smooth gradients and some nice graphics which say loudly what your site is about - that is great news for users Very Happy

Things which still might be improved:

It looks somewhat over-crowded - try increasing the margins around your paragraphs and title and also try increasing the "line-height" for your text (css attribute)

Your stonehenge images (or whatever it is Wink) breaks the text in a wierd way at low resolution. Try making it a float.

Your adverts could be re-colorschemed to fit your site

Also your paypal logo would look betetr on a white background (perhaps you could put it in a box) as it has a drop shadow

Thats all and good luck with your page

Sincerely

Luke

You've always had good comments on the content of my site, and I thank you for taking the time to comment. Unfortunately I cannot take the time to make the last few changes right now as any availible time i have is going towards placing the last few pages of content up that I have to do. I'm getting no help on the website so far (a few friends said they would like to but haven't) and if I don't do the work it will not get done. I've got to complete the planet articles, NASA space mission updates, and others before I get spidered by any more search engines. Google has torn my site up this week, and I'm sad that I missed not having a complete site for that event. Ask jeeves just pulled a bunch of content to, and they have indexed pages that are not finished yet aswell, so overall I'm starting to realize that not having those pages finished is hurting my site, and as you may be able to tell, I've spent way to much time on layout and general formatting of the site and content has suffered.

Thanks again for your comments. I will address these issues as I can over the next few weeks. Glad you like the updates.

SORRY TO EVERYONE THAT MY SITE NO LONGER MATCHES THE TOPIC NAME. I have images now, and lots of them. Wink
IceCreamTruck
A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS VIEWED AND COMMENTED ON MY SITE!!

You guys are the best, and I am so thankful that you guys have taken time to make a comment. I can tell with my stats package that a lot of people have hit my site because of this post, but most do not take the time to comment, and comments are what I need the most!!

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE!!