FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First version of Space.FRIH.net is live!!

How would you rank Space.frih.net in over-all look and feel?
5 Great Job
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
4 O.K.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
3 So-so but I will check for changes
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
2 So-so but I won't go back
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
1 Wow, what a waste of time
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
0 It's horrible
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

IceCreamTruck
This is the first version of the site, and I've spent days reworking issues, standardizing the header/footer and trying to come up with a stream-line managable website that I can start adding more content to than what is currently live. Please view the website and tell me the absolute truth about how you feel it's coming together.

I'm excited!! I think I've got a usable format and now I'm starting in on the main bodies of content in order to complete what I've started so far.

BTW, bookmark the jokes page because this will be the easiest time you have in viewing all of them at the same time!! I'm seriously about to split them up over a series of pages, and you will only be able to see all of them at once if you have read all the jokes or bookmarked them!! the page is schduled to be removed from the navigation!!

Looking for link exchanges from sites on FriHost or from around the web, so if you have a tech oriented site, or a science site please email icecream@space.frih.net and give me a url to your site so that I can decide if I want to link exchange!! I won't fill up the link exchange too quickly so if you could stand to profit from a few months exchange then let me know right away and I will put it up quickly!!
eepman
I would think a new and better color scheme would make a world of difference.
Dustin
The first lesson of web design in my books is to add advertisements AFTER you have completed the design...and from the looks of things your design is not even close to being done. I would highly reccamend useing a Frontpage template if your new to webdesign, as they look pretty good. The new frontpage (Sharepoint designer) is avalable as a free download if you want to beta it...from what ive seen the templates are amazing!
IceCreamTruck
I've considered your comments as all coments are appriciated, but I code by hand, and I'm not about to use a template. This is my site and I will give no one else credit for it because I have built it from the ground up using nothing but a text editor. Front page is not an option.

If you don't like it, then that is ok. I can live with your opinion, and thank you for seeing the site and expressing how you feel, but I've done a lot of web developing for major companies and wanted this to be alot more simple then the major projects i've completed in the past.

Thanks for taking the time again to see the site, and to post a response.
IceCreamTruck
Please go back and let me know what you think of the site now that I've added a few things. I will outline them here for you.

#1 Added header logo with mouse-over effect.

#2 Added CSS styles site wide to combat the browser defaults that I don't really like.

#3 Currently using server side includes for the header and footer so that now I can make any changes to those portions of pages will be implemented site wide rather than updating every page. Thank god!! Laughing

Head back to the site and let me know what you think!! please!!
IceCreamTruck
eepman wrote:
I would think a new and better color scheme would make a world of difference.

First: Go take a look again to see the new updates!! go now!!

Second: Recomend specific colors, and where they should go. Your opinion has been counted, but without a recomendation I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for the response, and sorry that I've taken my time to respond to this specific issue. Thanks again!!
khairulsyahir
well... it's a website that talks about space, but the website doesn't feel like it. It's more like promoting a 60's movie about space, you know... I seriously suggest you to get some idea on design, and at least make it look modern. You know, people won't go to the content if they're stuck at the design.
Technaut
yes, i also did not like the design. i suggest you use a template if you don't feel like improving.
test32rota
khairulsyahir wrote:
well... it's a website that talks about space...
I'm agree. You claim that this site about space, but articles on the site so different: freeware programs, comic ...
IceCreamTruck
The third and final revision of the site is finally live. Thanks for all your comments, even though I did think some of them were alittle harsh. Hopefully the new design will make you harder critics happy!! lol Laughing

Improvements:

1. Added new mouse-over logo

2. phpBB forums added.

3. Site wide tab system even present on the top of the forum (had to do some serious work to get it in the php header and footer)

4. New jokes added to the jokes section!

5. More space related articles, and much more to come! I will be adding individual planet pages with information about each of the 10 planets in our solar system. btw, if you still think there are 9 planets then you need to visit my site!!

6. Link exchange section on the home page!! can't believe you guys havent' been emailing me about this yet!! it's free advertising!!

7. Added the sub domain web.space.frih.net for webmaster's tips and tricks section that I will be taking live very shortly.

Well, I hope you like the site!! Please comment again on how you think I can improove it, but for now with the new release of the site I think I have addressed all of your concerns.

Thanks again guys for posting replys here!!
IceCreamTruck
I haven't been back here in a minute, but the third version of my site is live, and I think it's starting to rip and roar!!

1. New header and footer
  2. forums
  3. Outer Space Information and articles pages updated, and more to come...
  4. webmasters section updated, and more to come...
  5. link exchange. jump on now contact me about it linkexchange@space.frih.net
  6. my-space hacks to come...

Please take a look around the site and browse the forums for interesting topics (ie. windows on macs discussion)

It's all there for you, so enjoy!
chat
Very good site,good options,i like it ,more content and it will be very good.And I enjoyed the look of forums.That black tempate is beautiful Smile Cool one,I lowe black Smile
IceCreamTruck
I like black too!! I saw the "solaris" theme on the phpbb forum website and imediately moded my forums to contain the theme, but also to make it the default. There are some parts I don't care for (it's hard to tell where all the subject, body, username, password fields are located) but overall I'm very pleased with the look and I will continue to update and rip it up to suit my needs. All in good time.

Did you see the planet pages? All the planet pages have accurate planet information, but sadly, only "The Sun" and "Mercury" pages currently have articles written by me! once again...the rest will come all in good time.

Thanks for the good review, and please sign-up for my forums and take part in the growing discussions there.

Also, some of the jokes will tickle your funny bone!! I promise. I only included what I considdered "funny" jokes, but I'm still hoping my sense of humor prooves to be good.

Thanks again for the good review! I love feed-back especially if it's good feed-back!
Balthamos
Pretty good, but the site to me looks too "busy". Another word would be cluttered. I don't know, but I just feel like there is too much going on the screen at once. Maybe take that ad of on the right so you can expand into that space. Also, you need a main place to look at. I know that info box is red, but you could center it and have it sort of by itself, so users will look at that first, and the scan around for what else.

~Balthamos
IceCreamTruck
Perl Keywords Script!! Will work on your html pages(haven't tested php, or asp)!

This script breaks a page down into sigle words (strips HTML or anything between <..>), counts them, and puts them in a neat little list that is easily edited into meta keywords for that page!! check it out!!

Goto space.frih.net forums for discussion and a link to view this script in action - click here

It's an on-going project and I want you to contribute, so take a look at how it works, view the code, and then modify it and reupload it to share with others what you've done to improove this already pretty nice little piece of work.

Cheers! Happy Keywording!
warallthetm
The page is very cluttered, try spreading content throughout the pages
IceCreamTruck
Just curious if I could get you guys to be a little more constructive on your sugestions for my site!

A lot of people say it's cluttered, but no one has given the first little bit of a sugestion of what to do about it.

THERE ARE ONLY SIX THINGS ON THE HOME PAGE!!
1. google search (not moving)
2. featured joke (it's staying on the home page as well, cause I have a joke section)
3. Space Articles (staying on home page because there is a space info and articles section)
4. Webmasters tips and tricks/ad for frihost (both staying)
5. link exchange (possible to move, but I'm not adding it to my navigation as it will only be ignored
6. featured picture (added because someone else said I didn't have enough pictures on my home page)

Saying it's cluttered doesn't say anything about my page to me! I've heard that enough, and seeing how there are only 6 things, an ad banner, and header/footer I don't considder this cluttered. Gosh, go tell yahoo they are cluttered.

I realize that google was one major thing on their site, and a couple dozen links around that, but my site is not just a search engine. It is a collection of four major areas - forums (not actually represented on the home page), space information, space jokes, and a webmasters tips and tricks section.

Please try and suggest something...anything other than just saying it's cluttered and moving on. I appricate the comments from whatever stand point, but "top posting" yet another short "cluttered" comment isn't helping me improve the site at all.

But again...thanks for taking the time to view my site and posting the comment.
Dark-Tech
not too much to say i did spend a good amount of time on the site more than 10 minutes so its got some good material but i would like to point out some obvious examples of the use of the mouse over java code should be shown in that section.
IceCreamTruck
ok, the javascript mouse-over section...I didn't understand what you meant exactly. Do I need more examples? more actual buttons? more actual mouse-overs?

Please explain, I need your help on this! There is an actual mouse-over on the page, but it may be broken for you. I need to know what browser you are using, and what OS.

There is a major example of a mouse-over on the mouse-over page right at the top, and if it's broken for you I need to know now so I can fix it.
IceCreamTruck
(drum roll please!) IceCreamTruck has just rolled out the latest and greatest version of this script, and I must say it is quite awesome. Test New Script

All the bells and whistles of the big site keyword programs, but none of the cost!! HAHA, that's because it's free for personal use. That's right! Groom your site for greatness on the search engines and make sure that you have all the right keywords in all the right places.

Updates include:
1. You can now jump around the links on the program alittle easier
2. Pulls a TOP words list for you site (only the words used more than once)
3. Allows you to check or uncheck words you want and don't want
4. When you are done just click "go" and it will build you an all new meta keywords tag. You don't even have to get your hands dirty
5. Complete rewrite of the regular expressions and pattern matching so the script just works better on more pages.

Things I'm thinking about adding later:
1. "404 error" pages get broken down by the script into "404" keywords, lol (if the list of keywords starts with 404 then it's probably not the page you are looking for)
Reign
Ok, I spent about 15mins on your site. Note that if you hadn't asked me to review your site I would have left within 5seconds.

First of all the colors are wrong, they are way to basic, There are more colors than the standard one's.... Look here for more colors and colors that match

second, you should have a first page or paragraph where you explain what your site is about. If I look at your posts in this topics you can explain it very well but I can't find it anywhere on the website.. You explain at every page what it is but actually never say more than what we could have figured out by the toplink
Ex.: If you click on the link 'space jokes' don't explain that that page contain jokes... your users are not stupid.

third, your site lacks structure... Ok you have a couple of pages like info, jokes and webmasters...but when I visite them I don't get a clear look what info I can get at that page and I also have to look for more then 10sec what is the most important on that page.
The problem is that your pages are too busy and the more important thing don't pop out.

I'm going to try to give the page 'space info' more structure'...

If I go to a page trough the link 'space info' I assume I will get space info... at first it seems I do get the space info but I get a lot more I didn't asked for... just get rid of all what is under the articles and place it in a page 'planets'

That way you get a very nice page about planets... get rid of the navbar with the planets in it and just put the picture on that page. Cause the navbar automatically gets my attention so I didn't noticed that I could click on the picture to go to the article.... so either go with the navbar or either with the picture navigation...

and for the table with data about all the planets and actually for all the text on your site... your users are not blind! The smallest font on your site is 13px and the largest 16px according to your css. Use a smaller font, 10 or 11px are normal.

I have more to say but will let you respond first... Hope I was a bit of a help...

P.s.: if you didn't like my comments feel free to comment on my site HERE
dwcnps
That is fantastic 5...but (there's always a but) I don't like the Times New Roman font. I'd rather something like Trebuchet MS or Arial or something which isn't that ugly (i'm not saying Times New Roman is really ugly but it still is). It gives it a font that the eyes won't get too atracted but matches the theme it makes it look like you want to read it but that isn't a big problem but I still think you should do something about it.

Thankyou...
xeszline
If I may say some comments.. and some tips..

1. the layout seem too jumbled up, I became confused. Maybe you could simplify the layout? Sometimes less is more. Simply put, it's not so neat.

2. the ad doesn't blend too well. But maybe that's your goal to make the ads stands out

3. I appreciate your resolve not to use any templates and to do your own work manually. That's a very good resolve. Right now I'm doing my own personal website and it's still in reconstruction. I also have the same resolve as yours. Not to use anyone's work for our own pages.

4. Since the main topic of your site, I suggest put more about space and less about webmaster tips. It seems to me that you give webmaster tips more than the content about space itself.

5. never feel satisfied of your website. try to always improve it for the sake of your site's visitors. so more of them will return to your sites to check for updates. maybe a change of layout will do.

6. try to get a matching color-scheme, it doesn't have to follow commonsense. as long as it doesn't hurt the eyes and sense of art. you could try matching it in photoshop first. Combining with the fonts too. So you know how it would look.

7. try free HTML editor. So you could check how it would look.

8. change your resolution from the most common (around 1024x768) to the high-resolution users like (1280x1024 and up) so you'll know what are the changes that makes your site seem unavailable to some particular resolutions.

Other than that..
Keep working! Keep learning since learning never ends.. Good luck and happy web-building!!
snowboardude
a few things:

1.) it made my eyes bleed (ok not really). but the colours are too vibrant, especially the blue which conflicts both with the black and white. i suggest a white font on a black background.
2.) the text. its too large. the smaller the text, the easier it is to read. its like a movie theatre, the further back you are, the better.
3.) overall very nice, i can see you've put a lot of work into this, and you should definitely take this further.
IceCreamTruck
Oh wow, i'm overwhelmed by the great response to my site, and I like the negative comments too because they help me.

I would like to thank each and every one of you as I have gotten to a point where I will be updating the site based on your comments again. I see what you guys are saying, and I also see some key points that just about everyone has touched on, so those will be what I work on first. Thanks again for being so helpful.

I was taking a break from website development and working on a keywords script idea that I had and I wanted to get it working now, so as I'm developing the site I can use it to format the keywords I use for better searchablity on the web.

If you guys would be so kind as to allow me to help you!! go to the keywords script and rework your keywords so that your site does better in the search engines!!
Marston
It's kind of crowded, and looks a bit wonky in FireFox, but other than that, it's fine.
IceCreamTruck
OK, guys I've posted a new home page! All the other pages are now broken by the new CSS theme, but I will be working through them one by one, but I wanted to get the new theme posted so you guys can tell me what you think.

Have at it - http://space.frih.net - but please don't forget to come back and post a reply as to how the new site changes affect what you've said before. Please repost comments as I've started to get confused as to which version of the site you guys were commenting on (currently version 4 is live)

Well, I've given myself quite a bit of work to do, so I will be updating pages all day today. Reply, but look for my comments to come right back at you, cause my email will be up and I will recieve notification and reply usually within about 10 minutes of your post.
IceCreamTruck
Ok, guys.

The new site changes are up, and I've taken into account as many of your points as possible on first rewrite, and now I have completely reformatted every page on the site to apply to the new theme.

Please take a look, and remember to post a reply to the frihost forums to let me know how you think everything has come together.

I for one like the new look much better than the old formats that the site has gone through. I tried despirately to un-clutter the site, so that everyone would stop using that word to describe my site (I wish you could search this thread for that word alone, it would come up more than 10 times). So the home page is quite a bit less crowded (this word would also come up too much) now that the new layout is in place.

Also, I'm very happy to announce that I'm starting to see ad revenue coming in to the site in dollar ammounts instead of just cents, so things are looking up for sure.

Well, keep your comments rolling in. The good and the bad...its all going to help make this site a dream come true for me.

Thanks again guys!!
dwcnps
Okay, another thing, the menu (the thing with Sun | Mercury | Venus | Earth | Mars | Jupiter | Saturn | Uranus | Neptune | Pluto | 2003 UB313 | K.B.O.s in it) has got small writting which is a tiny bit hard to read. At this stage yes definetly change the font. Times New Roman has too much detail (the strange curls and bits hanging off it). What you really need is a simple font which is readable like Arial.
Tip:Impact for titles is good
IceCreamTruck
Are you sure it isn't your browser settings? My site's fonts are "Sans Bold" not times new roman. many browsers, like opera, allow personal style sheets, and I really do not see what you are seeing. for real.

What browser are you using?
IceCreamTruck
ok, i changed the font for just those really small words, and it did make them a little more readable. what do you think now?

font for the (sun/mercury/venus/earth...) is now arial, with font-weight normal. It did make it alittle more readable even to me, and I guess I saw alittle more of what you were saying when I went back and read it, but the font was not "time new roman" but that is just a technicality to a good point that it was kind of hard to read.

What do you think about the site layout changes and what not? Tried to make the home page less crowded. Did I succeed?
dwcnps
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Are you sure it isn't your browser settings? My site's fonts are "Sans Bold" not times new roman. many browsers, like opera, allow personal style sheets, and I really do not see what you are seeing. for real.

What browser are you using?

Internet Explorer 6.0 and yes I see the problem you spotted. It was my brower options.

And it was good of you to change the font for the menu to Arial.

Thankyou...
IceCreamTruck
Have you ever considdered using opera? Right now I'm on opera and it's pretty sweet. It's got all the normal browser abilites, but it also has skins that make it look the way you want it to look.

I don't know exactly what skin I'm using, but my browser is black and all my buttons are neon blue. Suits my taste a little better than IE ever has. I still use IE, but I installed the new IE beta 7, and it isn't as stable as I would like. It keeps crashing for no reason on load, but I did like the fact that IE finally went to tabbed browsing, but opera has had that for quite some time now.

Anyway, check out opera or update to IE 6. IE 5 is little behind the times now. And I don't recomend switching to IE 7 because it's like I said, not stable yet.

Glad you like the little changes that I made to the site. Hey, you made good suggestions, so I couldn't ignor it. BTW, if you are into widgets I just released a beta of my new widget that shows the planets swirling around eachother and I think it's super sweet. I'm calling it AstroTwister and you can download it here - click to download AstroTwister but keep in mind that it isn't stable yet either. You will have to close Yahoo! Widget Engine to get it to stop. Or open the task manager and close the most active yahoowidget.exe

Kind of a little side project i'm working on. Well have fun, and I hope that you come back to my site to check for updates.
dwcnps
Good advice I might think about it Wink .

BTW,

error wrote:
An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://space.frih.net/AstroTwister.widget'. Line 1, Position 25

wdgt

I think that's a programming error.
IceCreamTruck
This only seems to be an IE error. It's trying to handle the ".widget" file when it should just ask you to download it.

The fix is simple. Right click the link and 'save target as' a file called "AstroTwister.widget" on your desktop or my documents folder, and then all you have to do is double-click the file if you have the Yahoo! Widget Engine.

I'm working on porting the whole thing to Google Gadgets as we speak, so I will support both versions when it's done. I figure I get a lot more people, and google is giving a $5000 dollar reward for good gadgets, so I'm hoping that I will win that nice little prize.

BTW, go to the preferences > timer if the widget is making your system work too hard. Set the timer to "1" or "2" seconds and it should do your system some good. If you have a newer machine you can experiment with making the planets move really quickly, but do take a look at system performance (there are widgets for that) and make sure you aren't killing your system.
khairulsyahir
Okay, I have revisited the website. And I think it's better than it first was. Urm.. so the content is more organized, but maybe you should check your spelling. You know, factual website is all about accuracy, it'll give people more confidence in the facts your website are presenting.

And... one more thing, don't you think there's too many advertisements? There's like three of them on the first page. Maybe like... reduce them a bit?

That's all. I'll vote for so-so now.
IceCreamTruck
I really dig honesty! I'll admit some truths are harder to take than others, but you are completely right. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Spelling is not my strong point. I'd trade being able to program for being able to spell just about any day of the week...err, except those ending in "Y". lol... I like programming too much I guess.

Spell checking my website is a must, and I will get right on that now that it's been pointed out to me that this issue needs to be addressed.

BTW, did you check out my Widget? You can't have a good time at Space.frih.net without seeing my latest and greatest creation. Its free and totally entertaining. Plus, non of the ads. Wink I can't do everything for free, and I'm working on the ads issue. I realize that they are bold and frightning because no one is clicking them. If people aren't going to click them, then I'm just going to have to figure something else out.

But the widget is cool, and if you've downloaded yahoo widgets (probably the best widget engine) then you can grab the coolest solar system widget build for that engine (ha, the only solar system widget is the coolest). I dare you to check it out, so you have no choice. Wink

Cheers, and thanks for the comments. You will see how interactive this gets when I really do make changes based on what you have said.

Learn to love the ads!! lol
dwcnps
I would like to look at the widget but the problem is I don't have a widget engine and I might not intend on getting one.
IceCreamTruck
BTW, I've done a lot of work on the ads that appear on my website! They are now all formatted so that they don't appear so intrusive to the users of my website, and I've also noticed a jump in click-throughs!!

Might note this improvement and try to do the same on your websites guys and gals!

Also, just a note, my widget as now at version 1.5 to those it may concern.
dwcnps
The final result is fantastic Applause , very well done IceCreamTruck Applause .
IceCreamTruck
Hey, dude, thanks for the comment.

I need the support right now, cause I'm really tired. My website has jumped on me, and I can't really say that I was ready for it. It jumped from 50 unique hits a day to over 1000 unique hits, and I'm now serving out thousands of pages a day!! Just over 4500 is the most I've seen so far!

I can't believe it, and I'm struggling to catch up and format, make changes, and add new content. I've got all these people buzzing around my site right now, and I'm feeling the pressure to get it where I wanted it to be last month.

Wish me luck, cause I need it!!
saskshadowplayers
I thought yourwebsite was neat, however one thing that I've learned through my very minor webpage making is that people need space (no pun intended) I just get the feeling that the home page is a bit cluttered... i think a few page breaks here and there would make it feel like condensed and might just make it look a little more professional.
You obviously know about more about website creation than me, however I figured I might as well give my two bits. Good luck keeping up with the site.
-wilson
eruct
Pretty good site. I agree with practically all the other comments in that your site is too busy. I think that you should remove the grey star background from all of the text area. Why? The stars are competing with the text, sometimes they even touch the text which just make everything look odd. Simply leaving it grey without the stars should be a huge improvement.

Also, try and get your headlines to lineup with the body copy. They look out of place off to the left.

I also think that your site would also be helped by a new color in the header. They navy blue just isn't working with the black and grey and yellow.

I think that your site has huge potential and offers some nice information, just in it's current state I don't want to stick around to explore. The design is detracting from the content whereas good design should strengthen the experience.
salman_500
ermmmm.......

wel.... here goes:

Content : Fine

Graphics : Poor

Management : Poor

Colors : Not bad

Visual Rating : 2/10 , poooor

Adds : Extensive advertisments , poor

Name : Nice !!!

Overall impression :

i will only return when i hear of a new design....
IceCreamTruck
Thanks for the hard criticism of my site. Different people see it different ways. I actually have some changes in mind that I think everyone will like, but I've got to get to a point where the site information is more completed.

I don't like having all the planet pages up and unfinished. I intend to write an article on each of the planets, and continue on with space news articles, but it's really hard to get this information together and write informative articles. Many of the articles that I have written I've scrapped, because they didn't fit what I have that is finished, and I did employ the work of a few different people, but the stuff that they came up with was off track, and didn't follow the same standard of presentation that I have set up, so that just means more work for me.

I do however thank you for your imput and I will work to integrate some of the better suggestions over the next little bit, but I'm the only person working on this site, and changes are now starting to take more and more time to complete. But I will keep up the work and try to get some better graphics and rework the site colors. Everything is done by hand, and is very time consuming, so wish me luck on this endevor, and come back to comment again. please!!

Thanks again guys/gals for everything that you've put into the site in terms of critiques, and reviews. Keep checking back as the site is growing with your help!!

This month has been hard because I have seen a huge jump in visitors. My biggest day so far is 1200 unique visitors, and it's starting to dwindle down to about 100 again, so I'm in the process of pressing out the last few pages that need updating and reworking the forums to attract more attention.
Donutey
You need to keep your content up to date, most importantly the news section, because "STS 121 has launched" is a little out of date since it's already landed... You might want to consider using an RSS aggregator (like feed digest) for some of your news until you get up and running.

Good Luck!
IceCreamTruck
Hey dude (donutey),
long time since we talked last. I do realize that my site content is a little out dated. Not much, but does need a complete report on the landing of mission STS121.

I've started a new job, and haven't had time to update the site. I'm making good money though, so things are going well for me. My job, however, requires a lot of me and I haven't had time to keep the site up-to-date.

In fact my site jumped to 1200 unique visitors a day for almost an entire week, and I haven't been able to do anything about it. The only changes I've made lately have been to integrate the ads a little better so they get hit more. Trying to turn my site into a profitable one, so that I can afford to start making the changes needed to make it better. It's close to taking off on its own, so soon I will be able to afford to take the time to make the needed changes.

Wish me luck cause this is the first website I've built for myself, and I'm very proud to say that I still know what it takes to make a site successful. I do however need to get back to work on it now, cause it's the weekend, and the only time that I have to work on it is now!

I will swing back by and take a look at your site to see how things are going there, but I've got some serious work to do on my site now.
khairulsyahir
Hurm...

I can say it's better now than last time.

One question: I'm curious though, how much do you make with the adverts? No offence intended here, just an honest question.

Thanks!
IceCreamTruck
Thanks for the comments on my site. I appreciate the comments.

But I'm not sure how to answer now much I make on the adsense ads, since it's against policy to give out that information.

I will tell you this though...my site has sky rocketed and come back down to normal. I released a widget for the Yahoo! Widget Engine, and it's been downloaded over 15,533 times according to yahoo, and it has generated huge amounts of traffic on my site. Somewhere in the neighborhood of +30,000 page hits for july and thousands upon thousands of users have come through my site. I've generated a lot of ad hits for google, but they still aren't sharing the love with me if you catch my drift. I thought it would be easy to get over the 100 dollar minimum, but +30,000 page hits only got me about half way there.

I will be switching to another ad provider just as soon as I can find a good one. I want to actually have something to show for my trouble. Getting tired of getting scammed.

I'm no longer experiencing the same kinds of traffic flows because I haven't released an update for the widget in a few weeks, and I haven't made any changes to my site. My new job has really taken me away from my website, but I will continue to update it when I get used to working so many hours. 70+ hour weeks.

Hope I indirectly answered your question. Heck, I really don't care if google kicks me off cause they would be losing money, not me.
Vandalyzed
I've been following this....... and I dont see it, man...I'm sorry...

Quote:
I've considered your comments as all coments are appriciated, but I code by hand, and I'm not about to use a template. This is my site and I will give no one else credit for it because I have built it from the ground up using nothing but a text editor. Front page is not an option.

If you don't like it, then that is ok. I can live with your opinion, and thank you for seeing the site and expressing how you feel, but I've done a lot of web developing for major companies and wanted this to be alot more simple then the major projects i've completed in the past.

Your site looks much better than before, but I still go crosseyed when I view it.

If you're as experienced as you claim, and i'm in no way saying you're not, I have to remind you of the golden rule of web design........

Less is More
IceCreamTruck
Vandalyzed wrote:
I've been following this....... and I dont see it, man...I'm sorry...

Quote:

Your site looks much better than before, but I still go crosseyed when I view it.

If you're as experienced as you claim, and i'm in no way saying you're not, I have to remind you of the golden rule of web design........

Less is More

I would have to totally agree with you! Less is a lot more...

It's been hard for me, because I've started a new job, and I'm doing three jobs for the company that I am with now. Tech support, Sales, and I'm building a MSQL website for this company.

Space.frih.net has taken a hit, and so has the widget that I have created, because I haven't been able to update them in quite a while. I want to make my space site interactive, and finish up the last few changes that are still pending on my widget, but I have not had near enough time to considder such a huge under taking.

To follow up what you have said - the interactive version of my website will be very simple indeed. I figure I will modify it down to the simplicity of google's home page. I like the simplicity there.

Just wanted to respond to you guys, because it may seem like I've dropped of the face of the earth. HAHA, it feels like it cause I'm so over worked right now.

Please keep checking back as I will eventually get around to making my website great again!

Thanks EVERYONE! - ICT
Ka7raK
1. Yellow in a gray background?? What are those choices?

2. Google Search should be in the bottom of the page. It almost looks like you're promoting Google for free.

3. The content tables shouldn't reduce size as the browser size is reduced. 640x480 viewers (if there is still anyone using that sick resolution) will find a thin table stretching for a 1000 pixels height (not that much, perhaps).

4. External links should open in new windows.
IceCreamTruck
I'm proud that at least my site is worthy of good critisism, and can be improoved upon...and will be improoved upon...errt...soon I HOPE!

I figure the site would really be cooking if I could ever get on a good schedule with this new job I've started. The website is suffering in silence, and so are the yahoo and google widgets/gadgets I created.

I actually have come full circle, and I think I've devised a cool black on white scheme that will have strategic space pictures for your enjoyment. I want it to have a homepage that is simple like google but filled with space facts. the problem is in compliling the space knowledge into the seemingly digestible chunks of information, and keeping it simple.

I guess you could say that is what the new space.frih.net is going to be as a whole: simple. I've got some good ideas in the works because I can't get you guys to go for the current layout. I'm finally going to shut you all up! lol.
undoweb
The website is kind of cool but I don`t like those collors, and you can use a litle font not that huge one. Adsense fron the right you can use a smaller one.
chrismen
I just checked out your site and it looks like you put a lot of work into - nice job. My only problem with your site is that the layout looks a bit too messy and unprofessional. If you change that up a bit it would look so good. I do like the skin you used for phpbb though, that one is sweet.
dwcnps
http://outer.space.frih.net/pluto_ninth_planet_from_the_sun.shtml

The pluto picture cancels out the text.
NjRocket
from looking at your site, you basically copied all the stats from nasa about the planets and put in your site lol. You gotta update the site to get it active man, i see you have pluto as a planet still. You have the spaceshuttle launching off, but it landed yesterday. Just some feedback i guess.

So that brings about the question, what makes your site so unique and different from Nasa?
okullar
I think dark background and white/yellow texts make reading harder...
By the way, design is some complex, needs to be clearer. I think you should NOT use the whole page. Make some margins left and right parts. Menu is hard to find for the first time...

Rest must be good, because I don't see any unsuitable things more than I said.

Did I some bad critics? Sorry, maybe I am wrong, but I wrote what I feel. Good luck!
IceCreamTruck
okullar wrote:
I think dark background and white/yellow texts make reading harder...
By the way, design is some complex, needs to be clearer. I think you should NOT use the whole page. Make some margins left and right parts. Menu is hard to find for the first time...

Rest must be good, because I don't see any unsuitable things more than I said.

Did I some bad critics? Sorry, maybe I am wrong, but I wrote what I feel. Good luck!

Don't worry about it the site needs some serious help! I thought I would be able to support the few aspects that I've included but I've totally dropped the ball. HAHA, with my new job there is no way I can write every shuttle launch article, however there are some pretty cool things going on in the space race now-a-days.
dwcnps
As I've discovered more to it, I'm getting a better feeling about your website Wink .
chrismen
I hate to be mean but you need to make it look better.
IceCreamTruck
Thanks for the nice comments, and please know that there are great changes to come.

I am starting to get caught up to pace with my new job that is proving to be one of the biggest jobs I've ever had in my life, so I figure that I will be able to take the time to start reorganizing my website into a usable machine of space information, and website tips and tricks very very soon indeed.

I love building websites, and I have done so for many local companies for both local and world-wide audiences, but I've never built a site for just me. That is what space.frih.net is supposed to be...my first attempt at a website that I wanted to put up for the world to see.

It does have a lot of cool stuff right now, but it isn't what I want it to be just yet. It still needs a lot of improovements. trust me: a lot.

Please bear with me as I continue to work on this huge project in amungst striving to balance what I have to do in amungst what I want to do.

One day my website will be great again (had 2000 visitors a day about 2 months ago).
IceCreamTruck
chrismen wrote:

Ah hem! Dude, I think we both need to look at our websites again and make the needed changes.

I too don't wish to be mean, or come across the wrong way, but your comment was a little harsh seeing how your website isn't exactly a spotless example of web design.

When I read your comment and noticed that your signature had a link to your website I expected to see a website that could show me a thing or two about ... err, let me see how you put it... [a website that] "looks better" than mine looks, but I didn't find such a site when I visited your site.

No offense, but your comment was a little harsh because you included a link to your "needs work" website along with it. I would have gladly excepted your comments, had a link to your website not been included, or if I had actually been able to learn something about webdesign by going to chrismen.com

But I feel we have come to a stale mate here, so I'll tell you what...I'lll go work on my website, and when it's ready I will send you a link for your review. You do the same; Revisit your website, make some "look better" changes and email me when you need someone to proof what you've done.

Nuff said!

You willing to trade a few website opinions in the future?
plato
Not too bad! But the colors you have chosen are not good, I think.
Also you have complicated the site with many links and have spread the contents all over the page, from side right to side left and from top to bottom of the page.
IceCreamTruck
Lol, my site leaves another person so confused they have to post a comment. I've been getting a lot of that. ;-p

I actually plan to revisit the site with a few powerful changes that will hopefully please the masses. I figure the site needs it because I met with some success when I actually marketed the site, and I realize now that some big changes need to be made in order to gain some popularity.

Long story short the website is too busy. I need to simplify things and really make it a power-house of space information as quickly as possible. I have a lot of other great ideas, but so far they have taken me away from the main idea of this site, and that is space information/news.

I want to simplify the images, and navigation. The idea I had to pack the home page with tid-bits from all the areas of the site was a mistake. The home page needs to be much more simple, and contain only ... (If I told you now I'd have to kill you!) ;-p

Thanks for taking the time to comment about my site though! How very generous of all of you. I hope that in time my site will grow to honor your individual contributions and opinions, but for now I still don't have as much time as I would like so the changes will come slowly but surely.
Arseniy
I clicked 3. There's not many images, design is boring and too simple. Feeling like you jumped in 1997 year. You can make BUTTONS on top, not just links, it will be more impressive. It was CSS or just HTML?
glabase
Awesome site, man!

I really like it. The design and content is superb - full marks for me, my friend! Very Happy Cool
IceCreamTruck
HAHA, you've made my day. I, for one, believe that the original design of the site did serve it's purpose, but with some of the ideas I have now the current design is starting to annoy even me!

Thanks for giving me the words of encouragement as far is the current look and feel of the site goes, but I must let you know that some awesome changes are going to be made to my site as soon as possible. It might be next year, but let's just hope that it won't be.

Thanks again for making my day a little brighter!
IceCreamTruck
Arseniy wrote:
I clicked 3. There's not many images, design is boring and too simple. Feeling like you jumped in 1997 year. You can make BUTTONS on top, not just links, it will be more impressive. It was CSS or just HTML?

Answer: The site is CSS, html, and JavaScript. I use perl as the main driving engine behind the scripts that are available, but I haven't used perl for much else other than stats and scripts. I would like to have interactive user sessions, chat, and polls in perl, but that will take some time to develop.

Thanks for the comments! I'm working to improove the design ASAP.
dwcnps
Making your site perfect is easy from now. You just have to fix the problems which make it harder for the viewer to read and explore your website but your site is well done anyway so don't worry too much.
Marston
Your site has way too many ads, and chaces are that you aren't making any money off of them. I would suggest you remove the ads and try reintroducing them later, when you have more traffic. Also, you might want to update your design a little bit, it looks pre 1999. Sad
Technaut
did you design this with notepad? you really need to work on this a little more. the layout of everything is confusing, because it's so cluttered. the only thing i like about this site is the forum skin. that, at least, looks nice.
IceCreamTruck
Technaut wrote:
did you design this with notepad? you really need to work on this a little more. the layout of everything is confusing, because it's so cluttered. the only thing i like about this site is the forum skin. that, at least, looks nice.

Thanks for the comments!!

Figuring out how to manipulate the forums was pretty sweet, and this really is my first attempt at designing my website. I incorporated what I thought would make for a good design in the beginning and it has worked in showing me where I need to go next.

I've been working on it, but I'm affriad that I still have much work to do before I release the new version. It will be really cool though, and once again I thank you guys for your comments as they are all being helpful to the overall process of my website.

Cheers!
Ruckus
Alright You're website has really good content, and you're background is kinda cool. But, It is really cluttered and everything is fighting for attention. Sometimes less on the homepage is better.

Overall I liked the content and the Jokes were funny and not corny.

I do have one question, What did you use to design it in?

Btw, ignore the advice about switching to Frontpage. That is the worst software I have ever used. Whatever your using seems to be working fine.
IceCreamTruck
Ruckus wrote:
Alright You're website has really good content, and you're background is kinda cool. But, It is really cluttered and everything is fighting for attention. Sometimes less on the homepage is better.

Overall I liked the content and the Jokes were funny and not corny.

Thanks for the supportive comments. Seems to me that you don't think the site is horrible, but that it needs work, and I couldn't agree more.

Ruckus wrote:

I do have one question, What did you use to design it in?

Btw, ignore the advice about switching to Frontpage. That is the worst software I have ever used. Whatever your using seems to be working fine.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back, but I am very proud of the fact that I don't use any webpage editing software. I use text editors to build my pages as I have a pretty extensive knowledge of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Granted I don't remember everything, but a quick search online will usually reveil that illusive CSS property I'm looking for, or it will help me find that document object that I'm trying to manipulate in JavaScript.

I personally recomend learning to write HTML for yourself. With just a little study you can learn a few basics about HTML that will help speed up your development, and you'll have the control of being able to edit what the editor spits out.
IceCreamTruck
Just wanted to check back on my thread to see how things are going!!!!

Please, remember to visit my site as I am working on changes as we speak, and you will no longer be able to see the old version. If you'd like a before and after this is "Last Call" so to speak on seeing what it is like before I roll out the new one.

Best of luck guys... my website sucks right now and I aim to change it!!!
Why change such an aweful looking website you ask? Well... i'm glad you asked.

I need to change it because I keep getting complaints from the peanut gallery that my website is too techie, and I now have "AstroTwister.com"
Yes, my yahoo widget is really taking off and bringing me a lot of traffic. Almost making money on google adsense.

Well I'm off to make my millions of dollars! Wish me luck and remember to check back for changes to space.frih.net and remember to update your bookmarks to AstroTwister.com!!!!!! It's a Revolution!!!
IceCreamTruck
Just checking the stats, and seeing who's still out there.

My life has been crazy again, and I haven't had time to work on the websites as much as I would like to. All currently hosted on frihost I have:

AstroTwister.com
KMpact.com
XMpact.com

And way too little time to manage them all. AstroTwister is my widget website, KMpact is my production company, and XMpact.com might go up for sale soon if I can't figure out what cool thing should be there.

I guess you could say that the game plan is to continue to pound out the changes on AstroTwister.com, and finally move everything that doesn't have to do with "Yahoo! Widgets" over to KMpact.com. Yes, KMpact.com is my new domain that is going to house the many great "web discoveries" and "Tips and Tricks" that I have come up with as I have traversed the World Wide Web.

BTW, I also am going to be moving my main "FriHost" advertisements over to KMpact.com because I comepletely love this service, but the ads are out of place on AstroTwister.com. I figure the best bet there would be to reduce their size and I can move them out of prominant locations on the pages. I will however be really returning the favor to FriHost by giving it more space on KMpact.com

I once again thank you guys for your support on this project!!!! I had no idea that I would be with frihost for this long, but gosh... its turned out to be a lot of fun to be a part of this group of free loaders!!!

Keep it real!! Keep it free!!!
IceCreamTruck
chrismen wrote:

What is "look better"?