FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Expanding forums?

Scorpio
Whenever there is a long link posted directly in a post, then the whole forum page expands horizontally and goes along for a mile.

Is there anyway of preventing this(except asking the users to post the link by using something like "click here") by wrapping the link to the next line or something
Hogwarts
I think I know what you mean.
Code:
[url=LINK]TEXT[/url][/url]
Scorpio
I know about that, of course.

I am asking if anything can be done about such posts
i.e. automatically pruning such links or wrapping it to the next line so that the forum does not go out of shape
nam_siddharth
links can be wrapped, I think. But what about large pictures? The page mostly extend horizontly due to large pictures, not due to long links.
Scorpio
Links are more frequent than pics, siddharth.

Pics are usually found in only some topics, but yes both are a problem
Animal
nam_siddharth wrote:
links can be wrapped, I think. But what about large pictures? The page mostly extend horizontly due to large pictures, not due to long links.

Large pictures would be best if they were hosted by a company like Imageshack and a "forum thumbnail" was used. That way, people on slow connections don't need to wait for the whole thing to load, and we don't have the problems with the expanded forums. Unfortunately though, this is down to the user who posts the image and there's not much the mods can do about this.

Dunno about the other moderating guys and girls, but if I find a massive link in a post, I normally edit it and put "link" or something like that to stop the pages expanding.

This is really down to the users who post though, and as far as I know we can't automatically stop the "stretched" pages.
wumingsden
I also do this, not jsut with links but with images too. I will speak to Bondings about the image problem, there is a really simlpe solution to get around it. As with text, Confused