FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Navigator

Hogwarts
I just made a navigator-thinggy for frihost. Check it out http://hsowaw.frih.net/fribar/Fribar-2.html Very Happy. Still, it's only in the beggining stage. I reserve copyrights for this idea! Very Happy

--- UPDATE ---
Old version 2 is here

Newest version is here. Thanks Mathiaus

Lastest:
New version - my skills have proved dramatically since last time - so now there's CSS and AJAX!

http://wiki.frih.net/ <-- Latest version! I'm using my current subdomain.. Which I never used. So I'm using it for this now! Please tell me what you think.

By the way, the navigator thing is a small rectangle in the top left.
myrevolt
That's nifty. Although I would really only see moderators using it. (although most of them stick to specific forum categories). Them and people that post threads in the correct forum Rolling Eyes

P.S. There is enough drama in the real world, that you don't need to bring it into the virtual one.
Hogwarts
Well where else do I post it?
dxhunter
Language Forum >> Turkish open same Frame...
Hogwarts
I fixed the Turkish thing. Should be working now.
tidruG
That's interesting. It saves time from having to go back to the main page everytime I want to jump from one forum to another.

But I think you used frames there... some browsers probably won't support frames.

Also, I guess some people may just find it easier to use the "Jump to <<forum name>>" pull down menu to go directly from one forum to another.
Hogwarts
Yeah, I was going to do a drop down menu but they are hard. Might have a try at one though.

But still, how can I do this and not use frames?
tidruG
Hogwarts wrote:
Yeah, I was going to do a drop down menu but they are hard. Might have a try at one though.

But still, how can I do this and not use frames?

OK here's what I suggest.
Have you ever been to the Wordpress Official Theme Viewer?
Well, they have a small frame on top which shows a preview of each theme, and when you think on the thumbnail, the theme loads in a preview blog in the bottom frame.
Do that.
Have a (very small) frame on top (in the form of a drop-down menu), and keep the entire bottom frame dedicated to the forum you've linked to.
One problem you may face is that it's not really easy to create headings in drop down menus, so to differentiate between the forums based on Category name might be difficult.
But I have noticed on the Morpheus theme for phpBB that you can have headings in the drop down menu of the "Jump To <<>>" menu... so I know that it is possible to have headings in there somehow... maybe do a little research and fix it like that.

If made this way, you won't need the horizontal scrollbars that are needed in your navigator right now, and more page space is dedicated to the frihost pages, which is the primary thing here
Hogwarts
Sorry tidruG didn't see the post when making this Embarassed

But still. Here is a new version. http://hsowaw.frih.net/Navibar/Navbar3.html. I'll put something on the initial page sometime. Bah.

Currently title is "Untitled page", but that should be updated soon (I just fixed it. Takes about 2 minutes or something to update).
manumiglani
Cool brother I think there should be something official like this.
mathiaus
All I'd now like to see is:

- Slighly coloured headeings. In the option tags put a background for the headings <option style="background: silver;"> or something like that.

- Ability to hide the top frame. A small button on the bottom right. click it and the the frame minimises to the height of the button, click again and the frame expands.
Hogwarts
Should this be made official? Very Happy

Update:
Got rid of title so it's smaller. Besides, you can see title at top of browser.
manumiglani
Hogwarts wrote:

I think it should be....... All depends on the admin.
icesun
manumiglani wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

Right,but I think all of us shouldl give suggestion and even fix it
Hogwarts
icesun wrote:
manumiglani wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

Right,but I think all of us shouldl give suggestion and even fix it

? Fix what ?
manumiglani
Hogwarts,

could you suggest it in suggestions forum
selim06
it's really good but some graphical changes would be better...i like it and may be it will be an offical navigator...Good chance and thanks...
tidruG
Hogwarts, I think mathiaus' idea about the collapsible frames is excellent. If you could put something like that, it would be fantastic

And I too would like to see some sort of difference in the heading of each pull-down menu and the options.... a backgroudn change, or perhaps bold for the Category name.
Hogwarts
Ok peoples, I have to go away for 2 days. Yeah, it is only 2 days but this thing isn't even that old yet! So I've left Mathiaus in charge of updating the program, if he wants, and tidruG can help if Mathiaus asks for it. Later all.

---UPDATE---
We were out of milk so I put some UNDILUTED milk&coffee stuff on my breakfast Shocked Very Happy Laughing
Eyre
very nice. although i won't use it just because the back button is my friend, i'm sure lots of people will Very Happy
xorcist
That's nice I might use it once in a while when I don't feel like opening up a new page everytime I want to have another topic open.
Traveller
Interesting, but I prefer tabbed browsing over this or the back button. Simply click the middle button of the mouse in Firefox, and the message thread comes up in a new tab - no need for a completely new window, and no need to redraw the previous topic list for the back button since it's still there in the original tab.
Blaster
Traveller wrote:
Interesting, but I prefer tabbed browsing over this or the back button. Simply click the middle button of the mouse in Firefox, and the message thread comes up in a new tab - no need for a completely new window, and no need to redraw the previous topic list for the back button since it's still there in the original tab.

I love that feature too. I will go into a thread and click all the interesting stuff and then read it. Firefox is so nice. No need for that then. It still looks really good though. Great job on it. The new one looks nicer. I can't stand the side ones though. Any really. They just hog space. They are annoying.
tidruG
Actually the middle-click-to-open-a-new-tab option is almost standard in almost all browsers that support tabbed browsing... I've used the option in Maxthon as well as Opera (as far as I remember).

Anyway, this Navigation tool, though, will probably be helpful for other reasons, probably.
[FuN]goku
oooh nice mate Smile
nilsmo
I like the old one better than the new one.
Bondings
I will eventually be implementing an optional sidebar with all forums (or the ones you choose) for registered members. However this will take quite a while as there are tons of other things waiting to be done before this.
Blaster
Just make sure the optional is true. I dont' want to use it so make sure that it is optional otherwise it would be hard to read for me and it would use up to much room. It would be nice to see you do it though bondings.
Traveller
Blaster wrote:
optional

Oh, no! Blaster has fallen into the Princess' rainbox and can't get out! Wink
Th3St1ck
i like the idea, it saves alot of time when trying to navigate from forum to forum
Blaster
Traveller wrote:
Blaster wrote:
optional

Oh, no! Blaster has fallen into the Princess' rainbox and can't get out! Wink

I have done it before too. The princess is so cool So is rainboxing
rajhank
yeah, it is a good feature .Probably give this idea to Bondings.He will be happy to make it optional.
n0obie4life
I don't see what's so hard about just navigating through Frihost.

I do not see the need for this navigator.

Maybe that's just me, but just continue on it Hogwarts.
Summer
hey..althou it is a easy thing..but it was a great idea !! i wont think of tat ! good job..but it need better design
mstreet
This is a great idea but I'm just wondering how did you find the time to do this.
saiyeek
I really didn't like the idea...
wumingsden
I absolutely love the idea, keep up the good work Very Happy
mathiaus
V1.2.4
As he left this to me for some reason (as if I'm not busy enough Rolling Eyes ) I implemented a few small things.
Dropdown menu titles are different to emphasize their headings, minimise and expand the frame again etc
You need frames and javascript for this to work! Tested in IE and FF

http://siriusblacks.co.uk/frih/
tidruG
mathiaus wrote:
V1.2.4
As he left this to me for some reason (as if I'm not busy enough Rolling Eyes ) I implemented a few small things.
Dropdown menu titles are different to emphasize their headings, minimise and expand the frame again etc

Looks neat! I love it.
Now if only we could apply a little CSS to the link that brings the expands/contracts the top frame (btw, spellign error... it should be "Contract", not "Contact"Wink), and change the background colours of the intial page and the top frame to something that matches Frihost. LEt me know if you want me to deisng the CSS for it... Í'm not a master at it, but well, I'll give it a shot.

PS: I'm not sure how to apply CSS to the pull-down menus, but I'd rather leave them alone, seeing as how you've already given the headings different shadings, etc.
Hogwarts
mathiaus wrote:
V1.2.4

Thanks Mathiaus. Very Happy You can continue it for sure (And you tidruG). A small idea becoming so good. You guys rock.

Ps: I'm back if anybody cares.
Scorpio
I guess you'd better change the info on the sig about your little trip then Wink

@mathiaus:

The navigator looks good, but I too think a little bit of CSS design is needed.

Also, if the top font is Comic Sans, kindly change it.

it is so old-fashioned Razz
Hogwarts
I could consider using flash to do this. But then, I have no Idea how your frame minimize/contract thing works and, would it hide the flash thing. Probably would, and this could also provide an interesting new interface. Mathiaus/tidruG, do either of you know basic (Or better) flash? (I know basic. Very basic.)(Still, I can do quite a few things)
Providence
Hmmmm, doesn't look all that bad as it happens.

I like what i see. Maybe you could see it to see, let's say how many new posts are in each forum. So a little number side each thing like this (2).

Although, things which have been recently posted on go to the top of the forum but's just a thought.

Also, are you going to blend it in with the back ground, or just leave as it is ?

Some people may just class this navbar, as just plain lazy, but hey. It's all good Smile
Hogwarts
Mathiaus, could you please send me the files? Smile (I haven't been able to do much without them)
Hogwarts
New version - my skills have proved dramatically since last time - so now there's CSS and AJAX!

http://wiki.frih.net/ <-- Latest version! I'm using my current subdomain.. Which I never used. So I'm using it for this now! Please tell me what you think of the latest version of this! Very Happy

By the way, the navigator thing is a small rectangle in the top left.
dz9c
i cannot understand which is the latest one because u said like 3 of them just came out and are new and im very confsued
Blaster
wow more then a year later you post about this... Wow... Looks good btw though.
munkey_boy
Cool. I prefer the middle clicky mouse button in FireFox. Maybe if you made it support multiple tabs.
Hogwarts
Regrettably, it's probably too hard to make it support multiple tabs.

Other then that - thanks people Smile

I've fixed a minor bug, where you'd click on the Dutch forum category but it would be targeting _parent.

Any more bugs or suggestions are always welcome! Smile