FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Assistance Anyone?

Scorpio
I would like to know if anybody here using XP here, have tried out its remote assistance feature./

It says that the one whom you invite for assistance can view your desktop and stuuf like that.

Have any of you tried it out real-time and has it worked?
How was it?
oais
I've tried remote desktop, it's similar to remote assistance. Through remote desktop, the person whom you have given permission to use your PC can view as well as use your desktop from his own system like a remote control service. During this time, your PC goes on standby and you will not be able to do anything or see what's happening. Although you do have to power to break the remote connection by logging in to your system again.
jacky.goy
i didn't try out remote desktop but i used remote assistants for a few times, it's very cool, like u controlling other computer as you in front of that computer.

Differences between these remote desktop & remote assistants is with remote assistants, you still can view what the other side did to your computer while being access or control.
Scorpio
Thank you for the response.

I wanted to try this out with my friends sometime soon

More reviews? Very Happy
Animal
Essentially, Remote Assistance runs a version of Remote Desktop on your computer. You need WinXP Pro on your computer if you want to "dial-in" to it from another location.

You would be best using something like RealVNC - this works cross-platform, so you could take control of a friend's Linux machine even if you're running Windows. There's a free version too.

I use it quite often across my home network and it's pretty good. You can use it across the web too, but the paid-version may be better since it supports full encryption. You may have to set up port forwarding if you use a router, but other than that, it's great.
izcool
I made a lengthy reply in a similar topic quite some time ago and explained a lot about how to set Remote Desktop up and whatnot. Hopefully this will help you --

http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14679

Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance are very similar in how they work.

Most of the time I use MSN Messenger when I use Remote Assistance with someone. They need to be able to get thier computer accessible through a rotuer or whatever networking equipment required in order to work without firewalls (most of the time). They have 2 modes - control mode and viewing mode. In control mode, you actually have control of their computer when they are watching. In viewing mode, you can only see what they are doing. Take note that both people need to be at the computer when using this, whereas Remote Desktop only requires one person. However, with Remote Desktop, it logs whoever is on the computer out. When they log back in, the Remote Desktop session ends.

- Mike.
[FuN]goku
scorpio wrote:
I would like to know if anybody here using XP here, have tried out its remote assistance feature./

It says that the one whom you invite for assistance can view your desktop and stuuf like that.

Have any of you tried it out real-time and has it worked?
How was it?
you mean remote assistance over msn???? if so yes ive tried that and its pretty cool.
Scorpio
Actually I am referring to rem assistance on a general note.

Over MSN too is OK>
steveadams617
I tried for hours to get it to work with a friend's computer in NYC with me being in Boston. His DSL modem had a firewall built in and XP had a firewall and I had a firewall and I wasn't able to get it to work. Couldn't get RealVNC to work either.

With other friends, both have worked fine. I think it's hit or miss how complicated the connection is. The advantage to RealVNC is that you get the whole window from any operating system while the XP remote assistance has a toolbar that takes up screen real estate...