FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New PC. Needs Config access.

magneto_ms
Can anybody give me the configuration for a new pc:

I am a graphic designer who does lots of web and print design. I would need a great quality monitor and high performance. Should I go for dual core if so, AMD or Intel ? Also shoould i be going 4 sata..? Please post a config for a modereate/high budget.
psycosquirrel
Alright, I will help ya out. What sort of budget do you have? Also, Mac is best for graphic development usually. Do you want a Mac or a PC?

You definently want dual-core btw...
Rocky3478
Yea, for graphics design I'd recommend a Mac. They come with SATA and Intel Duo Cores now.... Cool
chirag
Go for the following config:

AMD 3200+ or 3500+
ASUS A8N-e
XFX Geforce 6600gt 256mb or 6800gt 256mb
Hitachi 160 GB HDD Sata II
1 GB Kingston/Transcend Ram
Logitech k/b and mouse
Cabinet(ur choice)
Speakers(ur choice)
Antec 350wats SMPS
lordwarlord
u schould buy a
AMD 3900+
ASUS A8N-e
XFX Geforce 7900gt 256mb
Hitachi 320 GB HDD Sata II
2 GB Kingston/Transcend Ram
psycosquirrel
chirag wrote:

AMD 3200+ or 3500+
ASUS A8N-e
Logitech k/b and mouse
Cabinet(ur choice)
Speakers(ur choice)
Antec 350wats SMPS

That is LOW end.

I say get a good Mac... Look on their site and find one that fits your needs. They are very user-friendly Very Happy
william
psycosquirrel wrote:
chirag wrote:

AMD 3200+ or 3500+
ASUS A8N-e
Logitech k/b and mouse
Cabinet(ur choice)
Speakers(ur choice)
Antec 350wats SMPS

That is LOW end.

I say get a good Mac... Look on their site and find one that fits your needs. They are very user-friendly Very Happy

I agree. Mac is definetly the way to go. You should get a dual core; Mac has some nice Intel dual cores.
psycosquirrel
You can even use Mac's free "Boot Camp" to dual boot Windows XP and Mac OS. That way, you can have the best of both worlds. Be sure to get at least a gig of ram though.
DecayClan
AT LEAST 2GB of ram(if not 4)
Combine them with the dual DDR ability.(it is important)
Definetely Intel Pentium 4
Amd, is mostly for gamers.The extra-high cache that the pentium 4 have, will realllyyyy help you a lot, in your job, although, it will slow you down a bit in games.
Ray Salamon
*ahem* time for me to put my $0.02 into this discussion.
If you can, wait until this fall to build your computer. My reasons for this can all be summed up into one word: Conroe.

Intel's next processor line, named Conroe, will be coming out Q3 (July, actually) this year. So this will leave you with some neat options:
1) build a conroe-based computer for absolute top-notch PCing.
2) Wait for conroe anyway, and build an AMD/Intel box then, as their prices will *have* to drop.
3) Wait for Conroe, and buy a used top-end PC.

Options 2 and 3 would be great if you're on a budget, honestly. If not, I would *HIGHLY* suggest getting a conroe based platform.

This is all suggesting you stick with PCs. Don't rule out Macs all together.

For more information on Conroe, and heck, hardware in general, I'm going to point you to another forum I frequent:
http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=20&daysprune=-1

That's the direct link to the Intel CPU forum, where you can read about Conroe... there's also an AMD forum, among many others. Hope this has helped you.

-Ray
magneto_ms
hmm..i am definitely going for a PC this time for many reasons. But for starters let me say that pc gives me a bit more versatility and compatibility.

I think I would go for a reasonably high end one as i need something a bit future proof. The config lordwarlord posted looks good.

AMD 3900+
ASUS A8N-e
XFX Geforce 7900gt 256mb
Hitachi 320 GB HDD Sata II
2 GB Kingston/Transcend Ram

But can you tell me approx how much the above would cost?

Thanx Ray for your post. I guess I would wait a bit for the price to drop. Then go for the kill...Very Happy
psycosquirrel
That sounds like at least $1000, but I need to double-check that. It may be more.