FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is your Favourite Director?

kazza
I'll start off by saying mine:
Michel Gondry
Spike Jones

They're more into music videos and kinda 'Art house'. I like Quentin Tarantino, he's such a funny guy and JJ Abrams too.
Scorpio
Quentin Tarantino is wonderful.

Steven Spielberg
S3nd K3ys
scorpio wrote:
Quentin Tarantino is wonderful.

x2

My wife loves all his movies (until she finds out they're his... Shocked ) I think it was Dusk 'til Dawn that got her. Was a great movie 'til about half way thru.
Kai
Oh jesus I despise that name Steven Spielberg. Theres not one movie that he has completely ruined with his over use of special effects. War of World for example completly ruined that movie, destroyed the plot. He basically made it a money sucking, pure computerized action. With no plot.

Look at Lord of the Rings for example marvolous movie, true to the book, Not overloaded with special effects even though that was an easy movie to get carried away with. It took Peter Jackson years to make that film. They built Helms Deep for christ sakes.

I must admit though that when I said Steven Spielberg has never made a decent movie, that was a lie. Munich is a very good movie. I almost shit myself when I saw who directed it. That showed me he is capable.
rajhank
Steven Spielberg

Ram Gopal Varma(He is an Indian)

And, M.Night Shyamalan.
Nigeria
Ron Howard
Spike Lee

Are both good directors especially Ron he is the only former child actor i know that is still working in the business successfully.
ylmun
Kai wrote:
Look at Lord of the Rings for example marvolous movie, true to the book, Not overloaded with special effects even though that was an easy movie to get carried away with. It took Peter Jackson years to make that film. They built Helms Deep for christ sakes.

Ok, Are you kidding? Not overloaded with special effects??? The whole Lord of the Rings series was one special effects scene after another. Or did you think the Balrog was real? http://fan.theonering.net/middleearthtours/balrog.html

Oh yeah, the subject. My favorite directors are:

Ang Lee - seen all his movies since Pushing Hands except that one starring Jewel, but I'm sure it sucked. I mean, c'mon, Jewel?
Pedro Almadovar - one of the best directors today
Barry Sonnenfeld - although his films since Wild, Wild West have sucked
The Cohen Brothers - except for Barton Fink
and the pre-2002 Steve Sodebergh
CrookedBlaze
DUDE I totally love Peter Jackson. I just LOVED! Lord of the Rings.

Spike Lee is soo great.

And Paul Haggis, who made Million Doller Baby (screenplay) and Crash (my favorite movie of all time.)

Another one of my favorites: Clint Eastwood. His stuff is pretty gritty, but it is guarenteed to be on your top 10 movie list.

And we can't forget George Lucas. I just love him. STAR WARS ROCKS.
chizeled
I used not like Micheal Moore, but now as we get more into Bush's second term, I am begining to see the light. His theories on Bush is right on. Not blaming one person but he has a lot to do with it. So I would have to say he has grown to be one of favorites and maybe the best of our current generation. He has truely given insight to these disturbing times.
HDirtwater
Kai wrote:
Oh jesus I despise that name Steven Spielberg. Theres not one movie that he has completely ruined with his over use of special effects. War of World for example completly ruined that movie, destroyed the plot. He basically made it a money sucking, pure computerized action. With no plot.

Well, this is almost complete rubbish. Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark (not the 2nd and 3rd flims though), Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan are examples of the best in filmmaking. Without Spielberg, Jaws would have been just another slasher/bloodfest. I would say the films I just mentioned would qualify as not just one, but five films that were not remotely ruined by special effects.

Aside from Spielberg, I love Stanely Kubrick, David Fincher, Spike Lee, and Steven Soderberg.
CrookedBlaze
chizeled wrote:
I used not like Micheal Moore, but now as we get more into Bush's second term, I am begining to see the light. His theories on Bush is right on. Not blaming one person but he has a lot to do with it. So I would have to say he has grown to be one of favorites and maybe the best of our current generation. He has truely given insight to these disturbing times.

YES! I cannot BELIEVE that I forgot about him.

His movies are just so incredible. He really has a train of thought that could go places in the future.
Traveller
Akira Kurosawa. Consider what we might be missing had it not been for him.
  • Seven Samurai - Remade as The Magnificent Seven, The Three Amigos, and A Bug's Life.
  • Yojimbo - Remade as A Fistful of Dollars.
  • The Hidden Fortress - Major source of inspiration for Star Wars!

Of course, there are also things that he remade - particularly
  • Ran - His Samurai version of Shakespeare's King Lear
  • Throne of Blood - His version of Shakespeare's Macbeth

Many everyday people of today don't care for Kurosawa's films, but it's impossible to deny his influence. Even when Japanese studios had given up on Kurosawa, none other than Lucas, Spielberg, and Coppola thought so highly of him that they bankrolled him with their own money!
CrookedBlaze
And Ang Lee.

His movies are so majestic. He makes some kickass pretty modern westerns.
kazza
I forgot one...

Joss Whedan. He's the director and writer of the series Firefly and the movie, Serenity (which is a good film). Apparently, all the cast like him a lot.
Ljsk
Sergio Leone
anurag_bhd
I have many directors in my favorite list. And I never miss any of their films.
Peter Jackson - The Lord Of The Rings, King-Kong
Steven Spielberg - Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Taken
Ron Howard - The Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind
HDirtwater
Michael Mann - Heat, Ali, Collateral, Miami Vice (upcoming), and the original Red Dragon (called Manhunter, the first Hannibal Lector movie).

His movies are beautifully filmed.
mrblah
HDirtwater wrote:
Michael Mann - Heat, Ali, Collateral, Miami Vice (upcoming), and the original Red Dragon (called Manhunter, the first Hannibal Lector movie).

His movies are beautifully filmed.

I also really like his movies. I really like how he mad the bad guys in his movie more than just thugs with guns. Heat and Collateral were great and I'm not a Tom Cruise fan at all. I'll have to check out Ali. I'm hoping Miami Vice will have the same kind of look that his other movies do.
Traveller
CrookedBlaze wrote:
chizeled wrote:

YES! I cannot BELIEVE that I forgot about him.

His movies are just so incredible. He really has a train of thought that could go places in the future.

Indeed, it is going places - specifically, to court, since a disabled veteran is suing Moore for using out-of-context quotes from an NBC interview to make it appear the vet was against the war and for using the footage without having sought the vet's permission. The full story is at http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_151102350.html
williamtavernier
Quentin Tatrantino made a lot of greats movies with Reservoir dogs, Kill Bill 1&2, Pulp Fiction,...
But Peter Jackson with The Lord of the Rings is now my favorite. Qnd King Kong is a good movie too.
I am French, for me in France we have greats directors like Luc Besson (Le grand Bleu),...
healyrj
Joel and Ethan Coen are my favourite directors. If you would like to sample some of their more sumptuous offerings, you can't go past Miller's Crossing or Fargo. I guess if you're not into black humour, you won't go for their films but I find them just great and really entertaining.
cr3ativ3
My favourite director is Gene Rodenberry he is the director of half of the star trek shows and the famous original series.
tbonepat11
Michael Mann is my favorite director I think. I love his fresh visions of L.A. in his movies.
coozy
Spike Jones is my favorite director. I think sinan cetin is the best director in turkey.
ne2 Luka
According to my humble taste:

Sergio Leone --> His trilogy, Once upon a time in America, Once upon a time in the west. Five films without which we would be considerably poorer today.

Frank Darabont --> For "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile"

Quentin Tarantino --> Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol.01-2

Akira Kurosawa --> Many movies of feudal Japan. All magnificent.

Takeshi Kitano --> Dolls as well as his other films.
tkGER
For the movies he made, talknig generally, Mel Brooks. No one has ever made me laugh that much. The greatest of all is certainly Young Frankestein, and then my next favourite is the Robin Hood one.
My second choice would be Tim Burton. He has such an imagination that it amazes me. He's esthetic is just unique, he ncan't be emuled, although many tried. You will always tell a real Burton from a fake one.
xframe
Steven Spielberg is amazing we all know that.

Tim Burton has directed some good movies...Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissor Hands, Beetle Juice, Big Fish, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Plsnrt of The Apes 2001, Batman, Batman Returns
mattchun
David, who directed "Seven" and "The Game"
Ms.Pseudo
Kieslowski. I just love his style, and many layers of his stories, and how every aspect of his films are so smooth and purposed. Everytime I wach his movies, I find something new. My favourite ones are 'Short film about killing'
and 'Blue'.
crimson_aria
I really like Peter Jackson. I like the way he directed Lord of the Rings, it's one of my favorite movies.
biedr0na666
Ridley Scott.
He directed a whole bunch of very well done pieces of cinematography. Not to mention classics like 'Alien' or 'Bladerunner', there is a few more films like 'Thelma and Louise', 'G.I.Jane', 'Hannibal' or 'Black Hawk Down'. Everybody's heard abouth them - that's Ridley Scott's.

I like Pedro Almodovar as well. His films are touching. Even despite of the fact that every third word is 'puta' Wink
gr3gg3r
M. Night Shyamalan - Awesome director, awesome writer, awesome movies in general

and Steven Spielberg of course. That's everyone's pick. =P
photographerguy
Quentin Tarantino
missmurder
I can honestly say I hate most Quentin Tarantino movies. For some reason my mind is blank and I cant think of the directors I like, I know theres two I really enjoy. Anyways, I watch a lot of music videos, and my favorite music video directors are Marc Webb and Samuel Bayer.