FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any computer technician plz help me!!!

ainieas
I don't know what is wrong with my computer lately. Its 5 years old with Intel Pentium III processor, 192 MB RAM, Windows XP. Lately when I try to run any game the system restarts or hangs. Sometimes it hangs and restarts even when I'm not playing any games. Sometimes when it restarts it doesn't turn back on. I mean like the monitor light keeps blinking but nothing comes on the screen. Then I have to turn off the computer and then again turn it on after 15-20 mins. I'm really frustrated. I don't know what to do. Is it because the system is old or may there be another problem? Any help would be much appreciated!
jacky.goy
check your processor temperature. it could be over heated also check your ram contact. if possible try clean with contact cleaner.
CrimsonStrange
I had almost the exact same problem, and I got a lot of IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors, and the culprit turned out to be a dying hard drive.
I've also had similar problems with incorrect/faulty audio or video drivers.

Listen, go to My Computer, right-click, choose Startup and Recovery, choose Settings and uncheck Automatically Restart.

Now, when you get a STOP error, you should get a blue screen that'll at least tell you the name of the error and possibly what's causing it.

Then, look through your Event Viewer and see if you can pinpoint it.

Arrow (Start menu-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Event Viewer)

You should be able to find some info at Microsoft's website.
Best of luck!
farleybr
you may check your memory too, probably it's damaged
mywill
check u VGA card with AGP slot, tight it or adjust it
Bones
Crimson has the best advice so far. if you uncheck that box, hopefully the pc will bluescreen when it restarts and the error number should give a little more direction.

Random restarts can be caused by a number of things, although they are usually hardware related.
tdk4u
Spontaneous reboots are typical of RAM problems. There is a free memory tester here that might shed some light on this http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Overheating can also be a culprit. Remove the case cover and check to ensure that the CPU fan is turning very quickly. Try running the system without hte case cover and see if that helps. If so heat is a problem and fans need to be replaced.
Sunny
As TD said it could be because of many problems.You should test things in following order.

1) Check the CPU Fan, if its still working and if there is dust in heat sinker.
2) Run scandisk and check your hard disk for bad sectors.
3) If you have spare ram, swap it and run your system with it.
4) Check you mainbaord for swollen capacitors.
phx777
i bet its the dust on your memory Razz, i recommend a cleanjob, and dont do it at home if you are not into this stuff Razz (if youre still gonna, turn it off, unplug power, use your vacum, also take ram out, make rid of the dust a lil bit Razz but not with using any static items Razz papar can be good dont drag it with cloth Razz and then put ram in, and put it in well enough Razz and dont turn it around, and if anything begins to smell funny or smoke starts to come out its your fault Razz ) sometimes elements on MB get ****** up (dont know how it spells in english, condensators?)
nevillethenerd
common causes of spontaneous reboots: overheating processors, memory addressing errors into protected OS areas [not just the ram sticks but also DMA channels to/from graphics cards so check that, and possible north bridge faults i.e. motherboard faults], if you're a windows user [hahaha] then there is the big bad world of illegal operations, crashing GUIs taking the kernel down with it, General Protection Faults, Software Conflicts and the usual suspect: malware. Done a virus and spyware sweep?
lSaKenl
simply, windows XP is designed for Pentium 4 processor or higher and 256 RAM, a Pentium 3 with 933 Mhz would just support it, if you have a less speed P3, i'd suggest you to not use XP
AftershockVibe
lSaKenl wrote:
simply, windows XP is designed for Pentium 4 processor or higher and 256 RAM, a Pentium 3 with 933 Mhz would just support it, if you have a less speed P3, i'd suggest you to not use XP

What? The stated minimum requirements for XP Pro are 300Mhz!!! Not that I'd recommend going that low, but P4s weren't even around when XP was released.
lSaKenl
Quote:
What? The stated minimum requirements for XP Pro are 300Mhz!!! Not that I'd recommend going that low, but P4s weren't even around when XP was released.

Nope, P4 werent around, but, as you know, big companys have always seen things before normal people see them, microsoft knew about P4 b4 it was released to the public.

yeah, the minimum are 300Mhz, but, as you know, the minimum are for the MINIMUM so your pc do not explode, lol, the minimum for a "ok" (at least usable) are 933Mhz ^^
munkey_boy
ainieas wrote:
Its 5 years old with Intel Pentium III processor, 192 MB RAM, Windows XP

hmm you should upgrade, like go to a computer shop and buy a average computer.
davidag
Firs of all excuse me because my english is very bad.

The problem could be something about temperature. There are some components to check:

1 . processor: check the fan, clean, ...
2. VGA: this component have a fan, check it and clean (the fan and the socket).

Salu2
abhinav_shah
Format your computer & perform a clean OS install...

Abhinav Shah
Muscae
In 90% of problems as yours, the bad guy is your PSU, just try other psu or buy new one.
PSU is one of the most important thing in computer, DON'T SAVE ON IT, beter add 30$ and buy something renomed, cheap shet like codegen with out PFC are alwasy lottery, sometimes it work sometimes not :/.
sush
I'm assuming you DON'T want to reformat, or you would have done it and not posted here. I'm assuming you CAN'T upgrade right now.

As crimson said, turning off Automatically Restart is a good option. You'll have to hunt around once you get an event log.

#1 Layman Guess: Processor Heat.
Replace thermal compound.

#2 Layman Guess: Bad VGA Card.
Check with someone else's card.
oais
Hey ainieas, have you tried any of the solutions given in this thread? Did it work out? What happened, some feedback on your problem would be good otherwise you'll keep getting the same solutions from different people who want points. Laughing
tamilchild
I thought OS problem.

Simply format your system and Install clean OS
ainieas
oais wrote:
Hey ainieas, have you tried any of the solutions given in this thread? Did it work out? What happened, some feedback on your problem would be good otherwise you'll keep getting the same solutions from different people who want points. Laughing

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post at this thread. Actually off late I was on vacation, and after returning my comp's working better. Still it shows the same problems but not that regularly, I still can't play games but thats not a problem.

But I did notice something. Once when I had to take of the CPU cover to attach my CD drive I notices that the HDD had become very hot. And this was when the comp had only been running for about 10 mins and I had just shut down the comp to plug in the CD drive. Now I'm wondering is it normal, I mean the HDD becoming so hot.
turbosquid
Sounds and interseting fault, as mentioned in a previous post RAM can indeed cause spurious system crashes. It's often very difficult to diagnose hardware faults without having the faulty machine in front of you but going on what you have mentioned here are a couple of things you may like to look into.
As i said RAM can cause problems it may not necessaraly be faulty RAM it maybe that your systems does not have enough RAM to run effectivly.

Which brings me to my next point as you may or may not know that windows uses whats known as a 'paging file' without going into detail it acts like 'virtual RAM' by using a section of the computers Hardrive as extra RAM.
To run windows XP effectivly microsoft reccomends having 128MB of RAM, if your system has 192MB of RAM it should be ok running Windows XP, BUT it deppends on what other applications and procesess are running as they will also take up a chunk of your memory resources. You mentioned about your harddrive being hot after only a short time of use, hardrive do become WARM after some use but they should not get hot, which got me thinking that if your Physical memory resource is always low (which may be the case with only 192MB) then Windows will be using the 'paging file' and your harddrive very heavily to compensate for the low physical memory. This may explain why you are having system crashes and why your harddrive is so hot. To help this situation i would advise installing some more physical memory. Secondly make sure you have defragmented your harddrive as this to can cause system crashes and performence degradation.
Good indications of wheather your are low on RAM and relying on the windows paging file too much are:-

1> If you find when using windows for general stuff like wordprocessing and basic tasks (not games, or watching movies) you find that your harddrive is constantly in use. you may be low on physical RAM, or desperatly need to defrag your harddrive.

2> If when loading general windows applications they take ages to load and the harddrive is running at maximum while they are loading, you may be relying on the paging file too heavily, or you need to defrag your drives.

Hope you get things sorted out Smile

TurboSquid
corey
ainieas,

Its common for a lot of drives to be quite hot (especially the faster ones), but that doesn't mean that its a good thing. Why not try running your computer with the side off for a while to see if that slows or stops this behavior (and definitely try as CrimsonStrange has suggested). If you have a regular table fan that you could aim at your computer as well, this could sufficiently cool your PC enough and then you'd for sure know that its an overheating problem (without spending any money). Then you can work on what needs more cooling and get the right solution.

...and can everyone stop suggesting a new computer as a solution. This machine can support XP fine. It could use a tad more RAM, but its more powerful than my wife's computer, which has been running XP since the OS came out.
nilsmo
Have you performed any upgrades to your system recently? They may be the problem, as they were in another similar case I saw.

phx777 wrote:
i bet its the dust on your memory Razz, i recommend a cleanjob, and dont do it at home if you are not into this stuff Razz (if youre still gonna, turn it off, unplug power, use your vacum, also take ram out, make rid of the dust a lil bit Razz but not with using any static items Razz papar can be good dont drag it with cloth Razz and then put ram in, and put it in well enough Razz and dont turn it around, and if anything begins to smell funny or smoke starts to come out its your fault Razz ) sometimes elements on MB get **** up (dont know how it spells in english, condensators?)

Wow, I've never seen that many Razzs in a post. Wow. Laughing
jwellsy
If the problem only happens when you play games,
other than solitaire, quit playing games on that 192mb P3 xp machine (LOL).

Check the system requirements for the games you are trying to run.
Games out of the $10 clearance will probably run on it.
But most decent current games need alot more memory than that.

Have you been able to run the problem games successfully before?

Do you know how much of your running resources you still have available?

You could try going to start/run/msconfig and turn off unnecessary processes.

I would also unplug the AC power from the wall
take the cover off
and blow all the dust off of all the heatsinks and out of the power supply
and reseat the RAM memory sticks.

Do you have a video card in that machine,
or are you using some onboard motherboard audio/video?
mustaq
better increase your physcial memory or clean your ram it will surly work for you , if not try to update your system via net to microsoft web site there provide updates for software and harware too
bstevens
These guys all have very helpful tips.. I was in your boat for a very long time.. I had 5 p3 550 Mhz / 192 RAM / 10.5 GB HDD in my house.. They were all compaq machines I salvaged from the school system and upgraded only the ram and OS on... Overall, those macines are wonderful to run XP decently on... I ran into the same stop-error problems... My problem was a bad hard disk. The explanation: I obtained the machines used, so the disks in them already had extensive use / wear and tear, and a number of operational hours so high I couldn't even begin to count... I recently was working on a brand new computer that shipped with a 200GB HDD and it was bad... Windows was pre-installed correctly, it worked out-of-the-box, and remained operational until the disk had approximately 50 operational hours... After that count, the machine would flash a stop-error and reboot, but only when I forced the disk to work hard (such as while playing a game). After it did this and I put about 20 more hours on the disk, Windows would throw a stop error unexpectadly and restart, even while you had the computer on, but weren't using it. At this point, I sent the machine back to HP and they looked at it, but sent it back to me telling me that it started up fine and there was nothing wrong with it... I got it back and it would throw a stop-error about every thirty minutes. It finally got so bad, windows would fail to start and it would tell me that a part of windows was misconfigured or missing and startup could not continue... I could cut it off and back on after 20 minutes and windows would start fine... It finally took me calling my HP business support rep from work and telling him what the problem was. He sent me a brand-new 200 GB HDD in the mail, I returned the defective one, and I was able to replace the HDD without voiding my warranty. That was exactly the problem... I also had it happen on one of the older machines, but I had a small spare HDD to replace it with.. Go to a computer repair shop and see if they will sell you a small HDD for dirt cheap. I know you don't want to reformat, but if you have tried checking the heatsinks and cooling system, resetting the ram, and running a Malware/Virus scan, and it didn't fix your problem, your disk could very well be the problem.. Needless to say, with all the good advice everyone has gave you here, you should be able to get it fixed....
Bones
This thread is 7 months old. Do you guys really need points ths bad?
bstevens
With respect of course...
This topic was one of the first ones in the topic list... Besides... If someone uses the search feature, they may still find help from what has already been posted.
mustaq
well didnt notice 7 month old i just found on new post and gave a reply any way it will be use full for others
yahoomail
Dear my friend,
I think so it can be from your cpu's temperature or from your ram.check them carefully.
ipmastermat
Which brings me to my next point as you may or may not know that windows uses whats known as a 'paging file' without going into detail it acts like 'virtual RAM' by using a section of the computers Hardrive as extra RAM.
To run windows XP effectivly microsoft reccomends having 128MB of RAM, if your system has 192MB of RAM it should be ok running Windows XP, BUT it deppends on what other applications and procesess are running as they will also take up a chunk of your memory resources. You mentioned about your harddrive being hot after only a short time of use, hardrive do become WARM after some use but they should not get hot, which got me thinking that if your Physical memory resource is always low (which may be the case with only 192MB) then Windows will be using the 'paging file' and your harddrive very heavily to compensate for the low physical memory. This may explain why you are having system crashes and why your harddrive is so hot. To help this situation i would advise installing some more physical memory. Secondly make sure you have defragmented your harddrive as this to can cause system crashes and performence degradation.
Good indications of wheather your are low on RAM and relying on the windows paging file too much are:-
spacefinder
Agree with everyone else it is a heat problem!

When was the last time you opened up your computer and vacuumed the insides?

With a P3 I'm guessing there is a lot of dust in there. The dust helps keep the heat in and stops airflow, and can be a major cause of over heating in a computer.

Fans should be cleaned at least every two months, and if any signs of noise of slowing in speed, then they should be replaced as quick as possible!
corey
So, its been 2 months and there is no news about whether its fixed or not. Did this problem get fixed? Its nice to say so for the people who are actually using the search button, as they'll find your response helpful.