FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Greyscale or Grayscale

dz9c
I have had so much trouble with these two words the past few years. Some programs call it greyscale, some call it grayscale. WHICH IS IT?? Confused
If your a little slow at the moment, the difference is the E and the A
Blaster
Its probley one of those words like Favoriteand Favourite or Color and Colour. So there probley isn't any real answer. Wink
Jayfarer
Blaster wrote:
Its probley one of those words like Favoriteand Favourite or Color and Colur. So there probley isn't any real answer. Wink

You mean colour.

But, yeah, it doesn't matter which one you use. They're both acceptable. I think, like Favourite/Favorite & Color/Colour, one of them is just the British spelling (or so I hear)
n0obie4life
If you live in America/any country using American spelling, it's gray.

If you live in United Kingdom/any country using U.K. Spelling/British Spelling/English, it's grey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
otiscom
Blaster,

The correct spelling for that one word in your post is Probably !

Education uh!
TeenZine
Correct i think its like grey and gray good job notining it .
Summer
photoshop uses grayscale i think...so i follow photoshop =]
Squeeky
n0obie4life wrote:
If you live in America/any country using American spelling, it's gray.

If you live in United Kingdom/any country using U.K. Spelling/British Spelling/English, it's grey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

I agree...it is different spellings. More examples are Australians (and i think the UK) spell metre and centre whereas Americans spell it meter and center.
[FuN]goku
Blaster wrote:
Its probley one of those words like Favoriteand Favourite or Color and Colour. So there probley isn't any real answer. Wink
henceforth why the english language is so confusing Smile
Blaster
Yes you are right on that one. You must have remembered this topic. Why the english language is so hard to learn. Razz
[FuN]goku
Blaster wrote:
Yes you are right on that one. You must have remembered this topic. Why the english language is so hard to learn. Razz
nope.. .never seen it.... but meh tomato tomatto potato pottato Smile
Scorpio
It is not actually confusing if you restrict yourself to the dialect of a particular region,.

If you are american, be american and be english if you are one

The problem arises when you try too many things at the same time.

Here, we follow the English version only not the US one, I feel comfortable about it, but I also am quite familiar with the US terminology.

I just manage and use according to the demands of the situation
kam311
If you're from the states, it's gray. If from Europe, it's grey. End of story.
rightclickscott
I don't really know anymore. I guess on instinct I've spelled it "grey" even though I live in America. I just don't pay any attention to that stuff.
secret_soul
I've never actually thought about spelling it with an 'a' rather than an 'e' but I'm English and, as was rightly pointed out, the spellings are different. My photoshop just says desaturated.
schudder
You know, this is one of the hard parts about first learning English from TV (mostly American series) and then learning English in school (UK spelling) and then browsing around the Net to pick up more vocabulary and getting it all mixed up. I probably write in a mix of both, though occasionally I will pruposefully prefer one kind of spelling, based on the audience, ain't that something...

Anyway, I think I use both grey and gray...
IAMED_2
I say the colour grey and grayscale. I'm Canadian, go figure. Razz
alkady
It's actually pronounced both ways but the most common way to say it is Grayscale. I spell it Grayscale personally.
ocalhoun
[FuN]goku wrote:

It's not like English is the only language that has dialects...
David_Pardy
The actual truth of the matter is:

In America: Color, Favorite, Neighbor, Gray, Grayscale, Aluminum

Every other English speaking country in the world: Colour, Favourite, Neighbour, Grey, Greyscale, Aluminium

PWNED

K THX BYE
dz9c
Well thank you everyone for your responses and justifications! Smile
jabapyth
Shocked too confusing for my little brain Confused
SNES350
I've actually never seen it spelled "grey" anywhere before, so that looks really strange to me. It's strange, though, since I look at that and pronounce it exactly the same way as "gray". For the sake of consistency I'd rather every used "gray". Rhyming words are spelled with an "a", i.e. "fray".
Tumbleweed
I knew there was an advantage to not being able to spell Shocked
silvermesh
we americans just decided one day that things should be spelled more like we pronounce them Wink
rightclickscott
God bless America! Because he obviously only cares about us!
whplace
Yes i know. I have heard of this before. There is still no proper explanantion. Try typing these words in MS word and see what it says. Whethe it shows it as a spelling error or not.

Good luck

whplace
snowboardalliance
ocalhoun wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

It's not like English is the only language that has dialects...

Yeah, I was gonna say that. Like when we learn spanish in school, there are always words that are different in each country.
English might be a complicated language to learn, but that's not why.
chargoyle
I live in America but I've always preferred the non-American spellings of things. For that reason I always liked "grey" instead of "gray" and "realise" instead of "realize." Of course, it's hard being able to use those because when you do have an opportunity to use these alternate spellings, it's at a time when you're writing a paper or a document that demands American spellings.
n0obie4life
whplace wrote:
Yes i know. I have heard of this before. There is still no proper explanantion. Try typing these words in MS word and see what it says. Whethe it shows it as a spelling error or not.

Good luck

whplace

You need to change your language in MS Word..I have mine set at "English (Singapore)" all the time and not "English (U.S.)".
tyrant
bAsically the americans had to be different in everything they did, thus all the countries that were under the british colony follow the british style of spelling.