FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So...

ehecatl
After reading the topic about favorite frihost members, am I to assume that there aren't as many women as I'd like to think? And I wonder why...? *hearts frihost!* Maybe there aren't many of those girls that prefer to be on the computer rather than dumping makeup on her face and 'partying'...? Confused
Helios
I guess that there aren't as many "geeky" girls as guys.
qbawler311
Not to be sexist, but women belong in the kitchen making me a sandwich. If they are not in the kitchen they should be at the gym making themselves better looking for my viewing and masturbatory pleasures.
smokey4life
Not to be sexists huh? Wink LOL Anyways....... Yeah i dont understand it either, and its not just here, this applies to most places on the net. The main places you will find females on the computer are chat rooms and whatnot and those are mostly underage girls chatting with friends and whatnot. I always wondered why girls dont take an interest in computers as much as guys, are we all just geek pron ed?
qbawler311
smokey4life wrote:
Not to be sexists huh? Wink LOL Anyways....... Yeah i dont understand it either, and its not just here, this applies to most places on the net. The main places you will find females on the computer are chat rooms and whatnot and those are mostly underage girls chatting with friends and whatnot. I always wondered why girls dont take an interest in computers as much as guys, are we all just geek pron ed?

Yes, woman have a larger Cerebral Cortex, with this part of the brain being beigger they have a wider "data pipeline" if you will transfering information back and forth from the left side to the right side of the brain. This makes them better at multitasking, english literature, emotions, making me sandwiches, and pole dancing.
Helios
Hey m0rpheus, here's your rival Shocked
cheh
Well yeah. It's not that the girls aren't that much into computing in my opinion, i've been very positively amazed at the computing knowledge of my female friends lately, yet having an own php website is still something a bit too technical for women i guess Very Happy

I hope that remark didn't sound sexeist because that's the exact oposite of what i was trying to achieve, what i'm trying to say is that women just aren't INTERESTED in this kind of stuff Very Happy
meet in rio
My geeky male engineering student friend recently branded himself a misogynist after being shocked that I associated the initials 'CS' with Adobe. (Bad example, but the only one which comes readily to mind.)

On balance, women probably are less computer-obsessed (the biggest computer geeks I know are all male).

Personally, I'm not particularly mathematical and am a huge English literature dork.

...I can't pole dance, though Wink .
Code of Ruin
Oh yeah certainly no sexist replies in this topic. Some women are quite good with computers but most computer freaks are male. When it comes to basic tasks like using internet to searching for data, women sometimes outsmart me. But when it comes to configuring routers, installing modems and internet connections, php and stuff like that, I am way better then most females I know that share electronics as a hobby with me.
Oh well, I guess women will rule the world soon anyway. At home I am only good to get things from the top shelf, walk the dog, do the dishes, and lift big and heavy stuff. And last but not least, I don't need a computer to help me park my car. (okay so I am a bit of a sexist)
CrimsonStrange
My god... Shocked Do men actually still think like this?!
Forgive me - I was under the ridiculous assumption that as a species, we had evolved enough not to judge intellectual aptitude based on gender. My mistake...

I've got a female friend who's modified, re-written and repackaged Windows to her own specifications several times, can network 8 computers together perfectly in one house with all of them sharing a single dial-up net connection, knows more programming languages than I can even name, designs websites/graphics/Flash, remixes music, has built killer computers from scratch, modified and customized cases for me & other friends, can hack into and take complete control over any public computer... the list goes on and on. She's about as geeky as it gets, guys. Shame on you

I agree with cheh on one thing - it all depends on what you're interested in.

Sheesh, and guys wonder why they have such a hard time getting a date... Rolling Eyes
ehecatl
I be thinking that I feel offended... Evil or Very Mad You men and your stupid sandwiches and Other heads... >:O! ^_^

lol, then again, if I didn't think there was a chance I would be offended by the replies, I wouldn't have asked...
{name here}
I don't hear about a lot of females on sites like this. The only one I've heard from is Blazethecat, and its still a debate on what gender he/she is.
ehecatl
... Wow. Well, to clarify things before people begin to wonder: I am Woman! Hear me roar! RAAAAR! lol. I'm done. So only one-ish? Out of how many members? I feel... alone. Ish... T_T
heady233
Code of Ruin wrote:
Oh well, I guess women will rule the world soon anyway.
Never!!! That will never happen. If anyone is going to rule the world, it's me. Twisted Evil
Hogwarts
The only place I know there are many, many, many, many, many girls is neopets. Most of them are too young though. *sigh*
vahsi000
ehecatl wrote:
... Wow. Well, to clarify things before people begin to wonder: I am Woman! Hear me roar! RAAAAR! lol. I'm done. So only one-ish? Out of how many members? I feel... alone. Ish... T_T

If there's someone lonely it would be guys like me searching for a female friend wondering from forum to forum especially since i don't know a single female person who knows what html stands for and as some others have said in the posts, the girls who go on chat are either too young or don't know anything about computers. So your actually lucky if you wanted to look for a male friend on the net that has similar knowledge to you.
Starflier
Ok, I didn't read all the replies, but I have this to say:
Computers are female. Like cars but more so. There's a certain bond between a male geek and his computer, he loves her and wants to help her to be all she can be. He buys her the sexiest tower, the best motherboard, the extremist video card, and the most RAM. He loves to show her off to his friends, but burns with jealousy if they try her out themselves. He is the dominant one in the relationship, she loves him and respects his wishes. The fear of loosing her is one of the greatest in his heart, He spends ungodly amounts of time and money upgrading her rather than replace her. Theirs is a beautiful, though misunderstood, love. Simple, passionate and eternal...

Not to say that a girl can't love her computer too. But that's more of a Sister-like or Best-Friend-like love. Unless she's one of those domineering types...

I'm not trying to be sexist at all. I know a couple females with more Techknowledge than I've got. This is just what I've observed...
wumingsden
May I just say that in my opinion the Princess is one of the, or the, cleverest people here. She puts me to shame. It just goes to show that a womans place isn't "in the kitchen" -----> they actually have skills that most only dream about.
Scorpio
If I do not sound biased, let me tell this, there are exceptions in everything, you do have dumb men and intelligent women.
Code of Ruin
ehecatl wrote:
I be thinking that I feel offended... Evil or Very Mad You men and your stupid sandwiches and Other heads... >:O! ^_^

lol, then again, if I didn't think there was a chance I would be offended by the replies, I wouldn't have asked...

Well not much I can do about my stupidity I am afraid. I find it quite funny to read how every time the difference between males and females leads to discussion. There is a basic difference between male brains and female brains. To bad even the most intelligent scientists can tell us what exactly is the effect and range of this difference. When closely observed men have more highly intelligent individuals and extremely stupid individuals while women are more mediocre over the whole line. For some reason men are better at parking and women are better at driving. Women pay more attention to traffic and men to the car itself.
And things like Starflier says just freak me out. I like computers, I don't love them.
Life just is really simple: of both genders there are intelligent and stupid individuals. Women can do some things men don't and vice versa. I can't do two things at a time but my sister can. However my sister can't cook and I can. Of course you will get sexist replies. Some mean it and others like I just do so for the fun of provocation.
Life's a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
ehecatl
vahsi000 wrote:
ehecatl wrote:

If there's someone lonely it would be guys like me searching for a female friend wondering from forum to forum especially since i don't know a single female person who knows what html stands for and as some others have said in the posts, the girls who go on chat are either too young or don't know anything about computers. So your actually lucky if you wanted to look for a male friend on the net that has similar knowledge to you.

Yes, but want if I as a girl, wanted to meet another girl to be my friend as none of my girl friends that I hang out with have computer-y knowledge like myself? Then I'd be pretty lonely too...
raver
Code of Ruin wrote:
Oh well, I guess women will rule the world soon anyway.

big lol, they've been ruling it a long time now, but in a more subtle way, from the back of the stage Wink
Idoru
Gender...

Is it really important on the net? You present your thoughts in words,
mainly, and those doesn't have to be tied to your gender, do they?

Ah, maybe I'm choosing to be naive about it, but it is a choise. Nevermind
if your male or female, it's what you do, say and think that mathers.
To try that devise irl can be difficult, since we are prejudice, and the
eye tell you at once. To try it on the net is fun, for most of the time,
as said is, the gender isn't presented. You do what you do, and hope-
fully get feedback on what you do, rather then what sex you have Cool
Summer
i dont find much girls playing on9 games if compare to boys
mOrpheuS
Helios wrote:
Hey m0rpheus, here's your rival Shocked

That's company, not competition !

Back on topic ...
On the matter of gender making a difference in interests, I think that should not be ruled out completely.
I read a mother's experience somewhere.
She decided to give her son a doll to play with and GI Joes to her daughter ... wanting her young children to play with toys that broke the typical stereotypes.
Soon enough, the little girl was playing "house" with the GI Joes, while the boy pointed the Barbie at her and said "Bang" Laughing

Researchers from Texas A&M and the University of London conducted similar experiments on monkeys, to find out if gender made a difference in young monkeys' interests :
Quote:
Though the monkeys had no concept of a "boy" toy and a "girl" toy, they still showed the same gender preferences in playing with the toys, Alexander says. That is, compared to female monkeys, male monkeys spent more time with "boy" toys, and the female monkeys, compared to their male counterparts, spent more time with "girl" toys, she notes.

In the experiment, Alexander says, male monkeys spent more time playing with traditional male toys such as a car and a ball than did female monkeys. The female monkeys, however, spent more time playing with a doll and pot than did the males. What's more, both male and female monkeys spent about the same amount of time with "gender neutral" toys such as a picture book and a stuffed dog.

The implication is that what makes a "girl toy" and what makes a "boy toy" isn't just human society or stereotypes but rather something innate that draws boys and girls to different types of toys, she explains.

Alexander believes her findings suggests that there are certain aspects of objects that appeal to the specific sexes and that these aspects may relate to traditional male and female functions dating back to the dawn of the species.

Probably there's something about computers that interests men/boys more. Wink

From my own personal experience, not as many girls display deep interest in computers and other fancy gadgets.
During the evening LAN parties we have at work, most of my female colleagues prefer to spend time chatting with each other rather than joining their male counterparts for a few rounds of Halo.

But at the same time I know a lot of men who do just the same. Wink
It's a matter of girls and boys finding different things interesting, not how good they are at things that interest them.

CrimsonStrange wrote:
I've got a female friend who's modified, re-written and repackaged Windows to her own specifications several times

That's interesting.
I know about modifying and repackaging windows - the inf files and registry hives and all that, but re-writing windows is something new ... seeing as the source code to be re-written is not even available. Confused
ehecatl
wumingsden wrote:
May I just say that in my opinion the Princess is one of the, or the, cleverest people here. She puts me to shame. It just goes to show that a womans place isn't "in the kitchen" -----> they actually have skills that most only dream about.

YES! Thank you! We do not appreciate being told that our
"place is in the kitchen"! Our place is wherever we decide it to be! And mine happens to be in a chair at a desk with a computer sitting on it eating ramen and rice and drinking an endless supply of energy drinks! ^_^
Qube
qbawler311 wrote:
Not to be sexist, but women belong in the kitchen making me a sandwich. If they are not in the kitchen they should be at the gym making themselves better looking for my viewing and masturbatory pleasures.

Ahahaha, that's hilarious.
Reminds me of Tucker and Maddox.
I'm surprised that didn't draw as much negative attention.

It has been, in my experience, that most of the stereotypes are true.
Girls are just more emotional/caring, higher-maintenance, and frequently cannot figure out/aren't interested in the technical aspects of things like computers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm positive there are girls who can beat us guys hands down, but this is the generalization.
It's not roles forced on us by society, it's nature.
We are built to accomplish certain things that allow our survival.
And yes, I know computers aren't survival, but that's the curve society has taken lately.
You must know computers.
It's everyday life now.

Guys also tend to be more open, vulgar, and both intentionally/unintentionally uncaring about others on most issues.
qbawler even provided an example with his not-so-delicately put masturbatory comment.
Ask girls, at least half will deny any form of self-gratification when confronted.
It's just how things are.
But I don't want this topic to take a wrong turn here, so I'll leave it at "I agree. Females are less inclined to invest mass amounts of time on/around computers."
ehecatl
Qube wrote:
But I don't want this topic to take a wrong turn here, so I'll leave it at "I agree. Females are less inclined to invest mass amounts of time on/around computers."

Perhaps I just don't lead a normal life...? I've been around computers ever since I can remember. There's ALWAYS been a computer at my disposal... Except for when one of my old ones stopped taking the back up disks after crashing an uncountable amount of times... By then my dad was so sick of helping me fix it that, while my stepmom was on vacation in Las Vegas, he grabbed a fire extinguisher and grabbed any and all computer hardware (that belonged to this particular computer) that he could, piled it in the garage, and blew it all up with all firecrackers he could find left over from the fourth of July... Then he grilled the modem... I remember that because I was wishing that he was grilling steak rather than my modem... Of course, by doing that, he forced my mom into buying me a new computer... lol ^_^ So it all worked out in the end... Very Happy

Sorry... Perhaps that's a bit off topic...?
saiyeek
This thread is quite interesting. I also wonder why there is so less woman participation in all those geeky thingies. LOL
Qube
Oh no, please, I would rather my post be taken as a whole.
Context can be a horrible adversary.

I'm not claiming that there are no women who can, for conversation's sake, hack a computer.
Just overall my time working with computers and helping others with theirs, I've had to help women at least 3x as much as I've had to help men.
You could also say that women are better about asking for help than guys though.
I guess we're so determined to do things on our own we've forgotten to rely on others alot of the time.
Maybe we just have a huge inferiority complex and don't wish to appear weak to our counterparts.
It's all in how you take it really.

But I love meeting girls who are educated and take the same interests as me.
It's the greatest thing to be able to know someone who can talk to you and know exactly what you're talking about without having to explain every minor detail.
Intelligent conversation, gotta love it.
Looks like I'll make some friends here.
ehecatl
Qube wrote:
Looks like I'll make some friends here.

Context again! Bwahaha! Anyway, if you're up for making new friends... Explain to me (yes, in detail) how to use FTP... I know what it is and what it does, but I have an account through Frihost and they offer FTP, but I don't know how to use it or if it would even be an asset to my site, but either way, I would like to know ^_^
wapkralj
you can download
http://www.smartftp.com/ then you there fill your details of ftp,ftp username,server,password,connect and upload,do anything with files and folders on your site...this is offtopic Embarassed
ehecatl
wapkralj wrote:
you can download
http://www.smartftp.com/ then you there fill your details of ftp,ftp username,server,password,connect and upload,do anything with files and folders on your site...this is offtopic Embarassed

Eh. Whatever. Topics change, and that's what mods are for. If we get too off topic, they can always switch our convo to a different forum or wherever it belongs (not that I'm TRYING to make more work for the mods! Embarassed ). Anyway, how do I go about getting an account, password, ladida, and what would I do with it?
Code of Ruin
ehecatl wrote:
Eh. Whatever. Topics change, and that's what mods are for. If we get too off topic, they can always switch our convo to a different forum or wherever it belongs (not that I'm TRYING to make more work for the mods! Embarassed ). Anyway, how do I go about getting an account, password, ladida, and what would I do with it?
I shall now attempt to combine the two topics about women and ftp and answer your question.
Some people never look around, I find that this occurs with both men and women. First of all, do you already have a frihost website account up and running? If no request one in the menu account. It is right on top in the row with forums etc. If you do have one you already have your FTP data in a PM or e-mail. You can also edit them in the menu of your Direct-Admin or C-panel.
Just try google for finding some info, then you can always find what you're looking for.
Sigh, women. (Okay that was not nice, but I'll make it up to you, just PM me if you have any questions and I will answer ASAP)
mstreet
Being a woman on this forum i really think one of the reasons why we don't reveal ourselves as much is more of a comfort/safety issue. As for web geekiness you have got to be kidding me. When I went for my wonderful multimedia course back in 1999 the ratio to women to me was 3 to 1. I have very close friends who are very well known in the Canadian realm of web and the majority of them are women.
ehecatl
Code of Ruin wrote:
ehecatl wrote:
I shall now attempt to combine the two topics about women and ftp and answer your question.
Some people never look around, I find that this occurs with both men and women. First of all, do you already have a frihost website account up and running? If no request one in the menu account. It is right on top in the row with forums etc. If you do have one you already have your FTP data in a PM or e-mail. You can also edit them in the menu of your Direct-Admin or C-panel.
Just try google for finding some info, then you can always find what you're looking for.
Sigh, women. (Okay that was not nice, but I'll make it up to you, just PM me if you have any questions and I will answer ASAP)

Meanie! Anyway, I goolged it and it just gave me a bunch of web-definition sites and places to download FTP... Thus the question in the first place...
David_Pardy
I work as IT support in a hospital, and I get more calls from women having problems than men.

Oh wait, that must be because 90% of the staff here are women Wink.

There are some VERY stupid women here, and there are also some VERY stupid men here. I'm talking "How do you delete an icon from the desktop?" level of stupidity in one particular bloke...

There's also some English bloke in one unit who looks like he's in his late 30s, but he acts like a child. Sigh.

Anyway, there's no point saying what's already been said, but men and women ARE wired differently. I like to think of it is that wiring affects how we CHOOSE what we want to excel in, and how we want to excel in it. Anyone who says that men and women aren't different mentally is an idiot, we are different, but neither is overall superior. You need bar attendants as well as chefs you know Wink.
Qube
So I sent you a PM ehecatl.
Hope that helps a bit.

Also, maybe since guy's aren't as "pressured" by society, we don't care if we're seen as geeks or not.
Could play a role?
Had to stay on topic...Wink
ehecatl
Qube wrote:
So I sent you a PM ehecatl.
Hope that helps a bit.

Also, maybe since guy's aren't as "pressured" by society, we don't care if we're seen as geeks or not.
Could play a role?
Had to stay on topic...Wink

Thank you very much! Very Happy I appriciate it! ^_^

And I'm happy to declare that as long as people don't think of me as a slut (can I say that in here...?), I don't care what they think... Be that geeky or not ^_^
ehecatl
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-3726.html

I'm suddenly surprised that my topic hasn't yet been deleted...
The_Gamer294
maybe girls are just more interested in who is going out with who and what the kid across the street is wearing instead of how computers programs and codes work.

and it seems they'd rather get kidnapped on myspace instead of fuguring out how it works
Sappho
Maybe i would have problem to make a sandwich but programming thats another story. Smile As someone already mentioned its up to personal interests and not a gender factor. Why are computer skilled guys always so full of themselves, even when most of em don't really have a reason to. Smile
Starflier
I'm smart enough to be female, But I'm emotionally stable enough to be a guy...
Helios
Starflier wrote:
I'm smart enough to be female, But I'm emotionally stable enough to be a guy...

Heh, you remind me about someone I know.

He's a guy, but he's emotionally unstable, so he really acts like a girl sometimes ^^