FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teaching Family Members

prepkid
Have you guys ever tried teaching your famiy members?

It's like this. When you are teaching a family member you expect so much from them that the learning becomes uncontrollably tedious and even horrifying for the student. I tutor many kids, and for some time I was required to teach my brother as well. It did NOT work out.

Not only was I expecting him to know so much, but also my brother felt that I was bossying him around. Which really sounds reasonable at some point, for I was screaming and yelling things at him.

For example, when a kid that I tutor says he can't spell the word 'there' and spells it 'their' instead, I understand and try to help him understand the difference between 'there', 'their', and 'they're'. However, when my little brother keeps on spelling these 'there' and 'their' wrong, I yell at him for being so 'stupid' when he's already ten years old.

Has this ever happened to you? It becomes so frustrating because you are always expecting more things from family members.
S3nd K3ys
prepkid wrote:

It's like this. When you are teaching a family member you expect so much from them that the learning becomes uncontrollably tedious and even horrifying for the student. I tutor many kids, and for some time I was required to teach my brother as well. It did NOT work out.

Not only was I expecting him to know so much, but also my brother felt that I was bossying him around. Which really sounds reasonable at some point, for I was screaming and yelling things at him.

For example, when a kid that I tutor says he can't spell the word 'there' and spells it 'their' instead, I understand and try to help him understand the difference between 'there', 'their', and 'they're'. However, when my little brother keeps on spelling these 'there' and 'their' wrong, I yell at him for being so 'stupid' when he's already ten years old.

Has this ever happened to you? It becomes so frustrating because you are always expecting more things from family members.

You need to be able to see the frustration coming and deal with it before it gets blown out of control.

I am currently teaching my (older) brother how to program in Mastercam. Many times I've seen him starting to get frustrated and had to back up and slow down.

I don't treat him any different than any of my regular students. In fact, I can push him harder because I know his limits.

Bottom line; it's mostly up to you and your approach.
kazza
Its just the fact that were with them 24/7 so all that presssure from previous disagreements, annoyances etc builds up and u just wanna snap. Also, when we're with people we don't really know, we want to make a good impression, otherwise we'll lose face or lose our friends. however, we can boss around our family members but at the end of the day we can't get rid of them and they're still family.

I think what helps for me is to think about my family memvbers and remember that they have feelings too.
menhao
Hey, man, be cool!

Teaching family members sometime may be boring, yet you need to pay extra patience and time on that, because you love them, I am sure.

As one of the best family education contries on this planet, Chinese are very good at family teaching, for a kid, when he or she is one year old, parents will teach them to recognize the words, sing the songs and other stuff, I dont think this make parents upset, because they love their baby. and during the teaching process, they feel happy and enjoy the period, after many years, when they look back to see the vedio clips and photos, they feel evey satified about what they did before.

Thus, my suggestion to you is be patient and try to make yourself involved in the process and enjoy, because you love them,dont you?

prepkid wrote:

Davidgr1200
I've always had trouble teaching my son. He doesn't want to learn from me, but if the same thing crops up at school he can learn it easily!
menhao
take it easy, man.

I think you should try to get well communication with your son, maybe he dont want to learn from you because he think you are uncool. So my suggestion is try to play with him and let he feel there are still too many things he could learn from you, also, you are a great and interesting father!
NewGuyinTown
Here is the Asian tradition of teaching children: take a long wooden stick and hit your children with it if he does not behave correctly or can't get things right.

I've seen a fair amount of children that learned their multiplication tables between kindergarten and second grade. How they do it? Probably through negative sanctions.

I think it's a belt with Caucasians (whites). I don't think they do that anymore (in America atleast).

And yeah. It's hard and frustrating teaching someone ignorant and not motivated. I would try to direct them into the right direction (atleast the personality) when they are still children. That's pretty hard especially where I live. Children thinks that fighting and being mean (gangsters, mafia, etc.) are cool.
selim06
yeah i teach a lot of think to my brother.He genaraly says "You can't be a teacher" but he obligate to listen me and learn something.We generally study Maths together and i think he is a good student.But i think i can't be a reel teacher because i angry with every false Very Happy
GDG
I have that issue that I sometimes get mad at my younger brother for not knowing. But then again when I am teaching him he keeps thinking of somethign else, he is very lazy lol! But I somehow try to keep it in, I think I am getting better at it!
saveexclusive
It is interesting that you bring that issue up because I my self have that problem when teaching some of my family members. Ironically, I find out that I have a harder time teaching my close, close family members because I am so comfortable with them that I get aggrevated easliy and tend to yell at them.. If this was a stranger, I would know not to yell at them simply out of respect and of course if one is getting paid, lol. I also think that older siblings tend to yell at younger family memebers simply because of the age and usually tend to feel in contol, as an authority figure, or more mature. In the end it is all psychological.