FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forum software

Zuwiki
I have been using phpBB for a while, but have grown sick and tired of it. Recently I began the search for a better forum system. I came across k4bb which was the best I have found yet. The problem is, it is too buggy for practical use.

What forum system do you use?
RiCtee
I use PunBB. It's a pretty fast, simple, and xhtml valid but has less fancy stuff.
webbone
RiCtee wrote:
I use PunBB. It's a pretty fast, simple, and xhtml valid but has less fancy stuff.

I use this forum too,It's very little and safe and speed good,It's not use mysql database! Laughing Laughing
RiCtee
webbone wrote:
I use this forum too,It's very little and safe and speed good,It's not use mysql database!

It does use mySQL!!
raymond8341
SMF Forum is also not a bad choice Smile
{name here}
I use YaBB. IT used to be because I needed something to bypass the MySQL quota of a particular host since it uses no MySQL database. Now I use it becuase it can auto ban proxies and block bad referrers.
photon
i use simplemachines too!! ive very easy and works pretty well. the only problems ive found is that package manager is pretty tough to work with (it doesnt work for me Sad ) and the template sytling is not good. what i mean is that if you install a mod, it makes the appropriate changes only to the default theme. you will have to make a few changes to your theme's template to be able to work..
wapkralj
I am going to use simplemachines too!It is much better than phpbb2 which I am using now.The problem is that the phpbb is much fancy,knowner and has got more advertisements ,but that isn't important when you want to make good forum.It is important safety,reliablity,speed .....
desertwind
If you are in search for a paid solution, vB is the go.
Zuwiki
I was looking at Wikipedia's Comparison of Internet Forum Sofware yesterday, and Jive Forums can cost $19950!

That's crazy. I'll stick to open source software. Wink

I found another forum called E-Blah, which is supposedly the fastest flat-file (no SQL or other database) forum out there.
Shake
I've been using myBB since I discovered it. It looks much nicer than other forums like phpBB or SMF. I would definitely choose it over vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, & Invision any day. I like how easy it is to configure and mod. There are some problems with setting up certain mods like cashmod, but it's worth it. It may take a day or two to fully get used to it, but it is worth it. The worst part of installation of the forums or a mod comes when you have to CHMOD a lot of files through your FTP program.

You can see my forums in action here.
Of course, my forums are bare, no users or topics yet.
However, they do demonstrate the power of myBB's themes & mods.
Zuwiki
Hmm... MyBB looks interesting. I have recently (the last 23 hours) been using Unclassified NewsBoard. It's pretty nifty Laughing

Click my signature or go to newsboard.unclassified.be to check it out.
exarkun
Invision Board is also a good choice. However, if you want a free version of it, the previous version, IPB v1.3 is a free one. Be sure to try it Wink
burzum
i like invision also but you have to pay, go give a try at invisonfree which is a free exaple of it
Zuwiki
I myself am a bit of an open source fanatic (just a little bit) and you will never see me using proprietary software if there is an open source alternative that suits myneeds. On that note, I haven't seen a single difference that would make me choose IPB over phpBB or vice versa.
pokethamage
SMF is nice but confusing (admin interface). phpBB is nice bot doesnt have child forum support (as in sub-sub-forums). IPB costs money. YaBB doesnt look that good. And so doesnt most other open-source forums. So I shall stick with phpBB...lol
Dj Redrum
raymond8341 wrote:
SMF Forum is also not a bad choice Smile

thanks ray for posting this address, as i've been looking for some themes like which they have.

thanks
Bourgondier
IPB is the best, but it is not for free. I though you have to buy it for more then 100 euro a year. It's safer for bussinesses, but for just hobbiest I think phpBB is a better option.
{name here}
burzum wrote:
i like invision also but you have to pay, go give a try at invisonfree which is a free exaple of it

InvisionFree uses IPB 1.x which is NOTHING compared to the power, custizability and ease of use of IPB 2.x
pokethamage
{name here} wrote:

InvisionFree uses IPB 1.x which is NOTHING compared to the power, custizability and ease of use of IPB 2.x

but then you have to pay for 2.x unless invisionfree decides to upgrade their forums. that's kinda the point since u cant use paid forums here?
nilsmo
Yeah, just use mods on phpBB. It really helps that bulletin board system reach its potential.
Saryon
I mostly use phpBB plus. I really like the portal thing, and the forum is easy to use. There are some minor things missing, but yo ucan easily solve those by downloading and installing some mods.
webbers
probably the best and certainly the most widely used and supported is the open source forum server software PHPBB that can be found at

http://www.phpbb.com/

There are more complex opensource solutions but they often revolve around fully blown CMS systems such as PHPnuke and postnuke which for the purpose of simple forum creation is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
Ironz
i'm going to comment only on the free forums phpBB and SMF.

First of all, phpBB is good for its big community which means more mods, themes, and the rest of the stuff.

SMF is great for its ease of use both from the user and admin side and it contains a lot of features and that's what phpBB lacks.

Out-of-the-box, SMF is a LOT better than phpBB, it got a lot more features which come already integrated in it. If u want to get the same features you have in SMF, you have to mod phpBB a lot just to have the same features that you get in SMF integrated.

In phpBB (because of the community) you have a wide range of mods to choose from not to mention the themes.

But the SMF community is growing so its future is promissing.

Regarding security, SMF has a tighter code which means it is more secure than phpBB and it is a lot more easy to update.

In conclusion, I would choose SMF over phpBB anytime.