FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's after HDTV?

dz9c
Okay, so hdtv is here and its wicked awesome! But I was curious if there was ANY news about any upcoming higher definition tv's.. Question
Svarn
Going outside your house and interacting with real-life people is the next step beyond HDTV. Then you will be able to actually reach out and touch the things that you see before you! Amazing!
SilverDogg
i think the next one was called UD or UHD, something like that. ultra high defenition. dont really remember, but the resolution were somewhere around 9000x5000 or something. people got sick from watching it though xD
pudovkin
Here in Brazil, we didn't decided yet for which HDTV format we will use.
If I were in USA, Europe or Japan (or any other country) where DTV is already established, I would be thinking about how better could be exploring the interaction tecnology. In my opinion, this is the best DTV feature, instead resolution or framerate.
squeakypants
But this is HDTV, it's got better resolution that the real world!
Scaramanga
SilverDogg wrote:
i think the next one was called UD or UHD, something like that. ultra high defenition. dont really remember, but the resolution were somewhere around 9000x5000 or something. people got sick from watching it though xD

There is actually a limit on HDTV in what the eye can see. I think when the 1080i/p becomes standard hopefully that will be the maximum. Because any numbers higher than that will just be for show and won't actually have any discernable difference.
garionw
We only have SD tv but thats enough for me. We have a 108cm tv which is crystal clear and High-def ready. I dont think we have HDTV on all of the stations in Australia. I will probley get it later on but not now.
katzen3
after HDTV comes UHDV it has 7,680 4,320 pixels look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHDV
charredii
HDTV is still making its mark. I don't believe it's becoming a standard anytime soon

All the TV stations would need to spend a lot of money to convert all their equipment to broadcast in HD. There are certain programs which wouldn't make sense to convert, like day time TV stuff
Hippie
to be honest though, what is the stopping point? Sure you can keep cramming in pixels and making the thing bigger, but doesnt it get pointless after a while? Its like putting on SPF 5,000 sunblock, sure you're more protected, but spf 40 would have the same effect.
Scaramanga
charredii wrote:
HDTV is still making its mark. I don't believe it's becoming a standard anytime soon

All the TV stations would need to spend a lot of money to convert all their equipment to broadcast in HD. There are certain programs which wouldn't make sense to convert, like day time TV stuff

Well I don't know about HD per se, but the FCC has mandated that by 2006 ALL over the air broadcasts be digital (DTV - of which HDTV is 1 of 18 formats in the DTV spectrum.) Of course this has no effect on cable or satellite broadcasts, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see it moving over in the next 5-6 years. By then HD sets should be considerably more affordable.
Ljsk
I think maybe 3d tv will be next, using the same technology used in 3d games, but changed in a way so that video cameras can capture it.

Maybe even virtual reality tv, where you can wander around tv land and po in and out of various shows. Would be great with shows like Lost where you can explore the island in your own time rather than wait 'till october >_<.

Not at all feasable yet, but we can dream.
pudovkin
People must understand it's not only about resolution. Or frame rate.
In fact, these are minor characteristcs if compared to the interaction.

Hippie, well said. And I'll add: why use a SPF 5,000 sunblock if you don't know how to enjoy the beach? Wink