FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

routing a localhost port to an extarnal ip so that programs

phx777
anyway im on some pretty interesting web server project, which inculed and interesting and not too standard backup (if you ask me)....

the thing is that there are two web servers running, with different ISPs, but are connected to eachother on a local network.... (their own local network) anyway the thing is, that local network is used for sync of files,.. and copying data to backup server in case of primary server crash...

the thing is that the websites on the servers are (offcourse) configured to look for mysql database on local host, and that they cant use seperate databases... they must both use the same one....

anyway theres much more to explain on the upper idea, and i know it might seem a failed one with so short description, but i dont really need any comments on that Razz

i just really wanna know if anyone can tell me, is it possible to link a port on localhost to another ip, so that lets say all software that is trying to connect to mysql database at local host, actually connects to a database on another ip (can that be set? (not on website, but xinetd or somewhere Razz)
tobytobsen
Hm,

what kind of Operating System do you use?
If it is Unix/Linux i can help you. And i'm very sure that when you put in another ethernet card you also will be able to set it in windows.

Toby
djclue917
phx777 wrote:
i just really wanna know if anyone can tell me, is it possible to link a port on localhost to another ip, so that lets say all software that is trying to connect to mysql database at local host, actually connects to a database on another ip (can that be set? (not on website, but xinetd or somewhere Razz)

I bet you are talking about port-forwarding? Aren't you? Well, if you are running Linux and you don't want to meddle with the command line, just download and install Firestarter.

After installing Firestarter, do the necessary and basic configurations.
Now go to the "Policy" tab, and find the "Forward service | Firewall Port | To | Port" at the lower part of the window. Now, right-click and select "Add Rule". Add the port-forwarding rule that you need and click on the "Apply Policy" button at the upper-right corner of the window.

I hope that helps...
phx777
well to be honest im not too fond of windoze servers =D yeah and im running linux, suse 10.1 is installed on the newly setup server... and i dont mind console commands Razz will check out firestarter tho, tnx Wink