FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SLOW UPLOADING AN SQL FILE

deluxetrade
hey guys-
i just joined frihost
and i had an old site but now im taking my old database and uploading it to this new one
so i go into cpanel then phpadmin, find the database- click SQL- then i upload the SQL file- and then it just either freezes or doesnt load fast... anyone have any ideas how i could do this faster???
i dont want to lose any data

thanks
Bondings
Is your sql file very big? It might be normal that it isn't fast.
deluxetrade
not big at all...
ive tried this several times

can you help me transfer my old database to my new one???

thanks
noliver
Just use phpMyAdmin. All you do is to export the info from the old database ( into an sql file ). Open the phpMyAdmin interface on the new site ( after you have created the database ). Open the SQL interface on the new database and it will give you an area into which you can paste SQL into.

Open the Old sql file in a text editor like notepad and copy it into the text buffer ( select all / control-c) and then paste it into the SQL window (phpMyadmin)(control-v) of the new database.

That way all the new population of the database will occur on the new server and nothing actually gets transferred via the 'Net.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
nick.
deluxetrade
noliver wrote:
Just use phpMyAdmin. All you do is to export the info from the old database ( into an sql file ). Open the phpMyAdmin interface on the new site ( after you have created the database ). Open the SQL interface on the new database and it will give you an area into which you can paste SQL into.

Open the Old sql file in a text editor like notepad and copy it into the text buffer ( select all / control-c) and then paste it into the SQL window (phpMyadmin)(control-v) of the new database.

That way all the new population of the database will occur on the new server and nothing actually gets transferred via the 'Net.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
nick.

Okay- now about the new database-- how does that work??
i have the old sql file but i still need it to look exactly like my old site...
do you want to help me through this or do it for me as i can let you have access to my cpanel....
Helios
If you have your database backuped and all of your site's files you'll be fine.

First, does your database is a MYSQL kind of db ??

Is so then try doing this:
goto your phpMeAdmin, on the left menu you have this little icon that looks like a little window and SQL is written on it.. click on it.
Now a windows should pop up, there you goto the Import Files section and after that it's all really piece a cake..

don't forget to upload your site and configure the connection to the database.
deluxetrade
Helios wrote:
If you have your database backuped and all of your site's files you'll be fine.

First, does your database is a MYSQL kind of db ??

Is so then try doing this:
goto your phpMeAdmin, on the left menu you have this little icon that looks like a little window and SQL is written on it.. click on it.
Now a windows should pop up, there you goto the Import Files section and after that it's all really piece a cake..

don't forget to upload your site and configure the connection to the database.

what does that last part mean? can you walk me through that...
noliver
Let me see if I can walk you through it. Your old_database.sql file should have text containing data similar to this .... this is just an example and yours will not look the same but the keywords ... like create a table and stuff like that should be in there ...

MyExample.SQL ..

# phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
# version 2.5.4
# http://www.phpmyadmin.net
#
# Host: localhost
# Generation Time: Aug 22, 2004 at 02:02 PM
# Server version: 4.0.16
# PHP Version: 4.3.7
#
# Database : `yourolddatabase`
# Dump by:
#

# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `yourolddb_acronyms`
#

CREATE TABLE sexndrugs_acronyms (
acronym_id mediumint(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
acronym varchar(80) NOT NULL default '',
description varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
PRIMARY KEY (acronym_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

-------------------------------------------------------------

In a text editor (notepad) copy this whole file to the text buffer ( control- c) - Okay close old sql file.

Login to frihost and your control panel. Create a new database on frihost.
This is done by clicking on the MySQL icon in the Control panel and then scrolling down to the area just above USERS. Add the new Database name here. Take note that your database name will change.

It will be something like yourfrihostlogin_databasename. If you have not done so already - create a user. You will have to update your PHP source files to reflect the new database_name and database user_name because it will change.

Scroll right down and you will see a small link that points to PhpMyAdmin.
Click on the link and open up PhpMyAdmin. On the left hand side it will ask you to select a database. Ignore that for now. Above that there is a RED/WHite SQL box. Click on it.

In the DropDown box select your new database. In the big white box below click, and hit control and V . This wil paste the contents of the text buffer into the SQL Box.

Click on the Go Icon and then the process of populating your database will start.

Hope that helps ...

Cheers,
Nick.