FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should pilots be able to carry a firearm?

Should pilots be able to carry a firearm on each flight?
Yes
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
No gun but maybe a tazer
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
They should get an mp5!
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Tranquillizer gun
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

DeFwh
Around the time after September 11th. No weapons were allowed on the plan much less a needle for that matter. If terrorists can bring bombs and automatic weapons on a plane should the pilot be able to defend himself!

Even if the pilots were issued a firearm, ive just read an article that they would be using ammunition that would break appart on impact so as to inflict external pain rather then to puncture to avoid depressurization of the cabin.

So should pilots be allowed to carry a firearm on each flight?

If you think they should not be able to carry a firearm please explain why and also give maybe an alternative that you think would be more acceptable.
dz9c
Hell yea give em a sub machine gun! Very Happy
Donutey
there was a thing on mythbusters (US TV show) where they took an old airplane out and pressurized it, then shot a gun (remotely) inside the plane through the window, aluminum skin etc, and it didn't really do anything... other than a little bit of a whistle.
rhathar
I think we need to trust the professionals that are doing their job more. Who knows better than a pilot what would happen to them at that altitude? I know if I flew every day I'd think about it a lot.

People act like pilots are gun-crazy freaks that are going to shoot up the place at the first sign of pressure.

Let them have the tools they need to do their job. If that's one of them, give it to them.

Alternative thought: Airlines make billions, and despite declining profits still employ hundreds of thousands. Why not hire a security guard?
Blaster
I think so. They need to defend themselves. I think they should carry a tazer too though. No need to kill someone first. Both are a good idea though. They do need to defend themselves. I agree that after 9/11 that it is a good idea. But since then they also have new rules too. Like they must have the piliot door locked at all times and stuff.
IceCreamTruck
I'm so pleased to see some really good responses to the the issue of pilots arming themselves, and my opinion has changed since reading the arguments here.

I voted to say "No guns, but they should carry tazers!" but now my position has changed.

Currently I believe that they should carry both if they like. Pilots first priority is that of his crew and cabin occupants. The second is the safety of the aircraft itself. If they believe that firearms are necessary, then they should be allowed to carry them if their first two priorities stay in check. I know that they wouldn't carry a firearm if using it meant they all would die.

In the event that terrorist are well armed on the plane a small firearm would help, but a tazer would be pointless if you can't get close enough to use it. Besides, they should carry both so when asked to hand over their weapons, they can use a little misdirection by giving over the tazer and waiting for a moment to retake control with a firearm.

Please to say my signature is not true here. Good show people. Keep it up.
Kai
Ladies have we forgot the traditional "Kick to the Ball" works everytime. Laughing
caroline
I think pilots should be REQUIRED to bring at least a tazer with them on a plane. It's really not fair if a whole planeful of people die because some stupid plane airline didn't let pilots carry weapons. As long as the weapons are secure, they should definitely be allowed.
DeFwh
Kai wrote:
Ladies have we forgot the traditional "Kick to the Ball" works everytime. Laughing

So then how many ladies do you suggest die before all the terrorist die of hemmoring testes
Blaster
Kai wrote:

And what if we have a lady terrorist? Question

Still tazer at the least should be carried on to a plane. It could save lives you know. Very Happy
TeenZine
I think they should be Trained then alowed to have animal trancalizers as they dont kill the person just make him tired enough to land the plane and put him in jail.
MWANGI
I don' think they should be allowed to carry firearms because they will be tempted to commit suicide once they get a little stress from their wives,girlfriends,inlaws or from the company they work for.They will then leave the passengers to control the plane.I don't believe in carrying of weapons.I think they should just pray or just make sure that they have closed the cockpit and they should not open for anyone except those beautiful air hostesses that they have over there.
Furthermore shooting in a plane is very very dangerous even though nobody is shot.It can make the plane to malfunction!
n0obie4life
I say give them a pistol and teach them how to hit a part of the human body that will injure that person but not kill him Wink.

I certainly won't want to take a plane, and if it's hijacked, yet the pilot cannot do anything about the hijacker.

Also, I think they should only be allowed to have pistols/guns when they are ON DUTY. Certainly not off duty or whatever else. Only ON DUTY.
atholas
MWANGI wrote:
I don' think they should be allowed to carry firearms because they will be tempted to commit suicide once they get a little stress from their wives,girlfriends,inlaws or from the company they work for.They will then leave the passengers to control the plane.I don't believe in carrying of weapons.I think they should just pray or just make sure that they have closed the **** and they should not open for anyone except those beautiful air hostesses that they have over there.
Furthermore shooting in a plane is very very dangerous even though nobody is shot.It can make the plane to malfunction!

An extremely good point about the stress factor. I think it is better to leave it up to the air marshalls to deal with the shooting. Carrying a tazer is quite reasonable though.
DeFwh
These are some good points ppl and even though this is still be fought in congress it wont be decided for a long time.

One thing that we must remember is that if no one does anything everyone dies. But if just one person stands up it allows for others to strike up the courage to defend life if it means their own.

Keep up the good posts.
Blaster
MWANGI wrote:
I don' think they should be allowed to carry firearms because they will be tempted to commit suicide once they get a little stress from their wives,girlfriends,inlaws or from the company they work for.They will then leave the passengers to control the plane.I don't believe in carrying of weapons.I think they should just pray or just make sure that they have closed the **** and they should not open for anyone except those beautiful air hostesses that they have over there.

Did you see mythbusters latley? Guess not. They showed that if a bullet puts a hole in the plane not much would happen. So really what n0obie said is the right idea. Just teach them to shot it and not kill the person only injur him. There should be some way to atleast defend the airplane.
mceejaydee
I think they should have a gun but they should be trained well in firearms, they need to defend themselves! We just can't have a trigger happy pilot with a gun on board do we?
hlavco
I think guns should be allowed. Only, like, pistols though. Just to defend yourself. And about the suicide thing, isn't there usually a copilot that could try to calm them down? (Or get shot trying) Laughing
{name here}
Pilots should be able to carry a small firearm - maybe like a beretta, but nothing as powerful as a Colt Python which could blow a terrorist's head off. It's not like a pilot will go postal. But just in case some psychoanalysis and gun safety should be passed in order to handle one.
Hogwarts
Of course they should. I mean, it's not sense having the pilot hijack the plane HE is flying!
hack_man_
A taser would not be much use, you would need to keep zapping them or they would be able to move again. The pilot shold carry a tranquiliser gun with a chemical that would make it long lasting, 7-8 hours. It should be easy to reload quickly.
viceless
sadly enough, i think self-defense is a necessity. its for the greater good.

we just cant let anything remotely close to 9/11 ever happen again. security guards and check points seem to fail us, a trained pilot should not.
Rhysige
I think they should be able to yes.. HOWEVER

I think most people are missing what already happens, I fly alot and I am comfortable because if its a major flight it will have atleast 1 Airmarshal, this person is an armed security guard pretending to be a normal passenger.
Also additional security for the pilots is that they lock the cockpit with a bloody good lock, the cockpit doors are hard to knock down so it would take alot to put the pilot in danger anyway.
And you never know pilots may already be armed Razz atleast in movies they are...
Helios
There should be a friggin MG pointing to their door!
When a terrorist will try something, they should blow his guts out to the tail.

How nice.
rhathar
I'm really not understanding the whole 'He might commit suicide' arguement. I mean.. sure, yeah, he might. But you DO realize he's the one FLYING THE PLANE, right?

It's a helluva lot easier to fly DOWN or just turn the engines off. And a sure lot likelier to kill you. Also, it's harder to stop than it is to stop him from killing himself.

Besides, most suicde cases happen outside of work. Most people's first thoughts aren't "I can't take living anymore, so I'll take these other 80 people with me." Going 'postal' is fairly rare (although, it did happen here, in a post office, about a month ago).
Dj Redrum
tribe
Trust me, flying and shooting have little to do with eachother, but it won't take long at all to teach a guy to shoot...

100% YES They MUST HAVE GUNS.

First off if they are on a jet and they do try to come in, don't let them in, and if they do, just have the gun ready... Passengers, like myself, would be willing to kick some ass if possible.

But for everyone's safety---- no doubt they need guns.
Balthamos
You are forgetting that the gun can also work against the pilots as well (terrorist turns gun on pilot, etc). Therefore, I believe the best course of action would be to teach the pilots hand to hand combat and disarming techniques. That way, they can defend themselves rather well, and that cannot be turned against them.

~Balthamos
ashok
But terrorists are lethal, they wont be looking for a hand-to-hand combat.. they'll just kill if they feel you are aggressive and may rebel against their control.. i say pilots must be trained to use weapons, and these weapons should be in such a way that they can be accessible to the pilots but not the otherway..
curnow
have security gunmen (2) in the ****** pit with thepilots so if theres a gunfight theres still someone to fly he plane
AJ_Partow
Very Controversial Topic in my opinion. I think Yes for the reasons that If there were to be another terrorist attack, they can protect themselves as well as other people from harm by attacking them but however I feel strongly that this is a bad idea because even If they did have a gun they are surely to be outnumbered weaponery wise therefore not providing much help. Also, it might encourage lunetics to become pilots to commite sinister acts such as this.