FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OS X source code is closed

{name here}
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14663&Page=1&pagePos=8

Yes, the OS X kernel is now closed. Darwin however is still availble for PowerPC.
Donutey
it seems whenever an OS gets more popular, the company that sells it gets more protective and paranoid... the new legit windows "upgrade" that pesters you with pop ups is an example.
Kd527
hmm, that's interesting. I think though that if Apple did it, they have a very good reason for it. They probably have to work out a piracy protection. Hopefully it'll become open again.
Helios
If it was open before, why did I have to crack OS X 10.4.6 instead of just downloading it?!!!

It was always closed lol(except Darwin).

Laughing
{name here}
Darwin is the kernel.

Apple's own paranoia for making a semi successful product is the reason for closing the source. They're afraid that someone will use the source code - which is a part of what open source is all about.
deiphobus
It's good that they closed it. They should protect their investment. Apple knows that a lot of idiots would try to copy their OS, much more now because of the Intel jump. I really can't wait to see Apple's future. It look really bright from where I'm standing. I keep think what other new innovations and technologies they are going to bring out.