FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Converting music to MIDI

Phil
I'm working on a little website for a friend who is just insistent about putting music on it. I tried to talk them out of it, but that's what they want.
I'm going to put it as a MIDI so everyone should be able to hear it.
Problem is, they want an old Cajun Tune called Ruby's Waltz. and I can't find it in a MIDI format. (Anyone know if it exists??)
I did find it on a CD though. And it's an instrumental.
How difficult would it be to convert it from a MP3 or .WAV to a midi?
DeFwh
you should probably search it on a midi archive/database site. Usually they will have a reproduced or recreated version of your song.
joxang
Search at www.vanbasco.com for midis: it's the best midi search engine on the net.

If that doesn't work, try intelliscore polyphonic. It's a reasonably reliable way of turning wavs and mp3s into scored music, and midis, but costs money. I got a version ages ago, and I'm not sure if they still sell it. If not, PM me if you need some kind of activation.

Intelliscore works well for simple wav files and mp3s, but will definitely fail for more complex music. I don't know of any other way of turning digital music into MIDI...

(PS I'm a musician and I do do transcription, jazz improvisations mostly. If the MIDI is really important, I'd be willing to help transcribe the file into the midi, price negotiable.)
Subsonic Sound
Can you find sheet music for it? Because if so, you can transcribe it with Sibelius or some other notation program. Otherwise, grab yourself a MIDI keyboard, and learn to play!

(Note that unless the piece is in the public domain - composer has to be dead for at least 70 years - you need copyright to put it on a site, and won\'t be allowed on a frihost site.)
DeFwh
Subsonic Sound wrote:
(Note that unless the piece is in the public domain - composer has to be dead for at least 70 years - you need copyright to put it on a site, and won\'t be allowed on a frihost site.)

True but you can use it just not for profit and you have to give credit to the original composer.

Its not illegal to play music Its illegal to copy direct from sheet music. Most recreations are hardly ever done from a piece of sheet music.

Most are out of tune anyways.
Phil
Subsonic Sound wrote:

Don't think that's a problem. I found a image of some of the original sheet music by a fellow named J.D. Chadwick. It was printed in 1881. It's not going on a Frihost site anyway. He has web space at Godaddy.com.

Like I said, we have a recording on CD, and it's just an instrumental.
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
True but you can use it just not for profit and you have to give credit to the original composer.

Ok, I can\'t speak for the specifics of international copyright law, but I know that at least under the UK system, making a recording publically available - for profit or otherwise - means you have to pay royalties to the Performing Rights Society, the Phonographic Performance Limited and the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society. Technically if it\'s a MIDI transcription I think you can cut out the PPL, since you\'re using the Musical Work but not the Recorded Sound. But the MCPS and PRS could still take legal action if you don\'t apply for licenses.

*shrug*
IAMED_2
I think your best bet is for you or a friend to sit down at a comp and transcribe it into a free/trial period midi program from somewhere or other. Those take some looking to find, but if you really want this song then that's what ya gotta do.