FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cricket?

coolpages
anyone have heard of the indian sport - cricket?
its sort of like baseball... but playing with different rules and different number of players, etc...

if anyone know this sport... do you like it or not?
noliver
Erm, there is a poll/topic already on cricket. Its not an Indian sport exclusively and it certainly is not like baseball - except maybe that its also played in the summer.

The only similarities I can think of between baseball and cricket is that it is played with a bat and a ball and that the bowler(pitcher) throws(bowls) the ball at the batter.

Cheers,
Nick.
orno
well that poll is just related to one specific series...
anyways, yeah, being indian i love cricket and play it whenevr i get the chance (which is not too often here in germany)

and yeah, baseball is quite different but its the closest sport to cricket
argha
Hi I am Indian and I Love Cricket.. Its THE sport of our Country.. only few teams play cricket in the world so mostly people dont know about cricket much mostly in US or in Europ. Do you love cricket ???

Argha
tidruG
Yeah, cricket is like a religion in India. Of course, my grandfather hates it because it takes the limelight away from hockey, which y'all know is the national sport.
impronto
i tried watching a match one time, it felt it was impossible to stay with it
raghoo
The Indian selectors have been left eating humble pie by Zaheer Khan. The left-arm seamer who has been dropped from the Indian one-day squad was named the man-of-the-series in the recently concluded Afro-Asia Cup. Zaheer claimed nine wickets in three matches, giving away just 101 runs in 27.2 overs that he bowled in the three matches. Zaheer's run up was a joy to watch and at the point of delivery, his leap was spot on. He made a good use of the yorker and the slower delivery. Zaheer outclassed fellow seamer Shoaib Akhtar from Pakistan. Zaheer is one of the most experienced bowlers in the Indian side and given the fact that Nehra's fitness is always suspect, the selectors should have persisted with Zaheer in the shorter version of the game. How can they afford not to play him in his current form?

In the first match at SuperSport Park, Centurion, Zaheer accounted for the wickets of Boeta Dippenaar, Jacques Kallis and Ontong. Zaheer also came good with the bat slamming 20 from 21 balls. In the second match at Kingsmead, Durban Zaheer accounted for mark Boucher, Shaun Pollock and Heath Streak. He also belted 13 from 17 balls while batting. In the third match, which was rained off, Zaheer's fiery spell accounted for Dippenaar, Kallis and Kemp.
play free online sticky game for free
http://raghoo.us/cric.html
JaeCee
The 'greatest' Aussie team of all time is about to lose the Ashes to the Poms after holding it for yonks .. For shame.
bigdan
JaeCee wrote:
The 'greatest' Aussie team of all time is about to lose the Ashes to the Poms after holding it for yonks .. For shame.

Yeah, tell me about it Sad It's a shame, but we'll be back...just get half the team to retire! Razz
drunkfun
Australia is the most dominant team of all time and we've bloody well earned it.
England have been very good in this series, but have had alot of luck, with absolutely no injuries, and some suspect umpiriing. Not to mention their filthy tactics in fielder substitution. But don't worry, Australia with the help of the greatest bowler of all time Shane Warne, will beat England in the last test and retain the trophy that belongs to us.

England's luck is about to end...

P.S. Cricket is Australia's sport, especially after we knocked India over at home in the last series. Only team to have done that in a long time.

LostOverThere
England havent won the Ashes in something like 16 years! Laughing
JaeCee
Lol .. Ponting's been fined lately for some .. off-field indiscretions. Blame it on the Poms though, they're hacks Razz

Still, it'd be quite funny to see the Ashes being turned over for once. Australia winning endlessly was kinda getting boring. Can't wait to see the Sports section on the paper in the weeks to come.
Sunny
Can't wait to see England win the ashes, and saurav been sacked from the team forever. He lacks the commitment to be a skipper of a national team, if you see his graph of fielding, bowling, batting, captancy, everything is heading towards the ground. He's bit like Azhar, just playing enough to stay in team.
mark
Cricket's not necessarily an INDIAN sport. I am an Indian myself, I love cricket, I live in Australia and all my friends here love Cricket too! See, even Aussies are fanatics.
bigdan
JaeCee wrote:
Lol .. Ponting's been fined lately for some .. off-field indiscretions. Blame it on the Poms though, they're hacks Razz

Still, it'd be quite funny to see the Ashes being turned over for once. Australia winning endlessly was kinda getting boring. Can't wait to see the Sports section on the paper in the weeks to come.

It'll be hell if we lose Shocked
drunkfun
god it was horrible. i hate english people
noliver
drunkfun wrote:
god it was horrible. i hate english people

Dont be a hater ! Rather be a lover ! Wink - Besides, all your ancestors are from england Smile - Hate them too ? Wink
drunkfun
Im scottish, irish and part convict, and everyone knows that the convicts really hated the english!
post-gazette
I've heard a lot about this sport since at nice I listen to the BBC's World Report or Review or whatever they call via NPR. I was wondering if people in Britian are really as cricket crazy as the media portrys them because it seems like the circket fans over there are pretty intense?
sunrise
Aaargh, I thought Australia would fall like the West Indies team of the 80s and early 90s after they lost the Ashes to England. But, they are thrashing the World XI in the Super Series. They are still the best team in the world by quite a margin in One Day internationals, but some of the other countries are catching up in tests. Let's hope the World XI saves its face by winning the last ODI.

I didn't want to make a new post just for this, so I will add to this post. Wow, what a disappointing ODI series for the World XI team. A series white wash for the Australians. Still can't believe they bowled out a team with the greatest players in the world for 137.
noliver
I have to admit that Aus played very well and I applaud them. I do think however that the Makhaya Ntini decision was a bit silly. His foot was on the line and I am sure there are many balls bowled like that. It was almost like the umpire was looking for a way not to give the batsman out. Furthermore, was the referee not born in Australia ? Wink Hehe.

Anyway, we will see how things go when they meet again in 4 days time in a test match. At least they can not do any worse than they did in the one days Smile
kuad
The 6-day test match should be interesting. I think the World XI should win that. The One-dayers were a bit of a joke really. Apart from the one-sided results for Australia, there was problems with the field and the crowds were small.
noliver
kuad wrote:
The 6-day test match should be interesting. I think the World XI should win that. The One-dayers were a bit of a joke really. Apart from the one-sided results for Australia, there was problems with the field and the crowds were small.

Well even with the small crowds Kevin Pietersen still complained that they were "swearing" at him. I guess that is just part of the game nowadays and players must not allow the crowd to get under their skin.

I do however think that there should be security on the rope because lately some players have been hit by flying objects thrown by the crowd.
noliver
Congrats to Jaques Kallis, Flintoff, and Taufel ...

Quote:

ICC Awards 2005

Kallis and Flintoff share top award

Cricinfo staff

October 11, 2005

Jacques Kallis: Test Player of the Year and joint winner of the Player of the Year

Andrew Flintoff and Jacques Kallis were named joint Players of the Year at the ICC Awards in Sydney in the first tie of the ICC Awards. Both players finished level on 86 votes after the count-up votes of the 50-member ICC Awards Voting Academy.

For both players, to receive the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy, the most prestigious individual award in world cricket, capped what was already a fantastic night for both of them. Flintoff was earlier named in both the ODI and Test teams of the Year and all three honours served as recognition of his dynamic displays during the voting period.

Kallis was also named the Test Player of the Year. He was a runaway winner of the award, polling almost three times as many votes as the runner-up, Glenn McGrath. Kallis was also named in the Test team of the Year and was chosen as 12th man for the ODI Team of the Year.

Kevin Pietersen's extraordinary year got better when he picked up a brace of awards. He was named the ODI Player of the Year and the Emerging Player of the Year, too. Pietersen burst on to the international scene against South Africa with a series of explosive centuries in the one-dayers. His England team-mates had cause to celebrate, too, as they won the Spirit of Cricket Award.

During the voting period Pietersen played 21 ODIs and a single Test - his debut - and enjoyed a spectacular level of success. The right-hander averaged 87.33 including three hundreds in the shortened form of the game and made two half-centuries in that one Test appearance.

Andrew Flintoff: joint winner of the Player of the Year Getty Images

Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive, said: "This award is a demonstration of the impact Kevin Pietersen has had on international cricket in his first year at the highest level. He has been prolific with the bat and, what is more, his runs have been scored in a style that has thrilled fans all over the world. Those runs and his approach to the game have marked him out as a true entertainer and a massive talent."

Simon Taufel picked up the award for the Umpire of the Year for the second year running. Taufel, 34, from Australia, was the clear winner of the trophy ahead of Pakistan's Aleem Dar and Rudi Koertzen of South Africa, after votes were tallied from the captains of the ten Test-playing countries and the seven members of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees.

"On behalf of the ICC I would like to congratulate Simon on this award," said the ICC's president, Ehsan Mani. "He has once again had an outstanding year making decisions in pressure situations all over the world and this award reflects the fact he has got most of those decisions right."

The ICC also announced its World ODI and Test Teams of the Year, as chosen by a specially-appointed selection panel chaired by Indian batting legend Sunil Gavaskar.

ICC Test Team of the Year Virender Sehwag, Graeme Smith, Ricky Ponting (capt), Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Andrew Flintoff, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shane Warne, Chaminda Vaas, Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Anil Kumble.

ICC ODI Team of the Year Marvan Atapattu (capt), Adam Gilchrist, Rahul Dravid, Kevin Pietersen, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Andrew Flintoff, Andrew Symonds, Daniel Vettori, Brett Lee, Naved-ul-Hasan, Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Jacques Kallis.

Cricinfo

source http://cricket.org
kuad
Australia did well today. Hayden got 111 and Gilchrist almost has a century (94 not out) and Australia finished at 6 for 331. I'm unsure about the six days - whether this will make the game more interesting or less we'll have to wait and see. I just think that the constraint of time has been reduced so maybe either team could be more defensive depending on whether they are dominating or not. A smaller time period would increase the attacking play, I think, because there is less time to get a result and the teams would have to be offensive rather than defensive.
banglamusic
coolpages wrote:
anyone have heard of the indian sport - cricket?
its sort of like baseball... but playing with different rules and different number of players, etc...

if anyone know this sport... do you like it or not?
Its NOT indian!
Indians play cricket like other countires but if you must know the origin, you can say its an English game.

Its hugely popular in south asia (bangladesh, pakistan and india), ppl are crazy about this game.

just some more facts about cricket.

baseball was originated from cricket. the "mayflower" people didn't want to have anything "English" with them, so they modified the cricket game, and made baseball.
banglamusic
drunkfun wrote:
Australia is the most dominant team of all time and we've bloody well earned it.
Australia? hey.. I think i know them. weren't they beaten recently by some Bangladesh? Twisted Evil

England is the best team right now, kangaroo days are over. Razz
noliver
RE:
The Aussies against the ICC World team :
15 Oct. 2005 2nd day of match

So even with all that access to technology Umpire Rudi Koertzen still gives Mark Boucher out even though he never touched the ball - Even Tony Greig said that it was not a catch. - SO what is the point of all this access to technology when the Umpires still screw up ?

Besides this one incident, I must say that I am not against the use of "TV technology" to assist the umpire - but its all kind of useless if the umpire does not use it.

The game continues ... and it seems like we will get a result. Smile
x_es_x
cricket..yeah i know cricket..cricket is yeah..like said b4..australia..but i don't reakky know..anyways...the aussies are pretty good...hehe...i don't really like the sport..i think it's boring..
kuad
Australia just squashed the World XI in four days. The match didn't even make the regular five, let alone the scheduled six. Bit of a farce really, including the Super series one dayers.
drunkfun
banglamusic wrote:
drunkfun wrote:
Australia? hey.. I think i know them. weren't they beaten recently by some Bangladesh? Twisted Evil

England is the best team right now, kangaroo days are over. Razz

Fair enough, you won the ashes, but i guarantee you right here and now, that we will murder England in the return series in Australia.

I don't really rate the ICC World XI as a good benchmakr of greatness as i could see England probably beating them, although the world XI team would look a bit different with Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath.

But i still rate us as the best in the world. One series doesn't change that. When England are able to beat Australia, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all away, maybe then i'll rate them higher
sunrise
yup, we know for certain now, the Aussies are still the best team out there. The only interesting series in the upcoming months is Sri Lanka in India, since India has many new players in the squad and Tendulkar is coming back after a few months of rest.
titonb
Hii everyone I love cricket and I am a player my best batting and bolwing figure is

Batting - 56 runs

Bolwing - 5-23 in 6 overs
sunrise
haha, what a comeback by Tendulkar. Many doubted that he could ever play his best again, including me, but these two innings of 93 and around 67 have proved that, tennis elbow or no tennis elbow, he is still the greatest batsman to have played this game in recent years. Considering that he is only 32, he can play in 2007, hopefully he keeps this run till then.
noliver
So South Africa win the One-Day series against New Zealand and move up into second place for most wins in a one day series match - Australia - as usual - in the lead with a margin that is impossible to catch.

Anyway, the last one day match between SA and NZ was a nail-biter with South Africa needing 9 runs off the last over. Justin Kemp hit a 4 and a 6 and it was all over.
inman
Did anyone miss India's M S Dhoni's batting against Sri Lanka in the 3rd One dayer?

Chasing Sri Lanka's 298, India finished the game in 46.4 overs. At the end of the match, the following was Dhoni's figures.

Runs: 183 not out
Balls: 145
6s: 10
4s: 15

With that innings, Dhoni's average creeped up from 37 to 49.7. And he finished the match with a sixer. What a player he is.

Tokci
That inning was totally awsome...His first 3 scoring shots were all Sixes and he ended the game with another Six.

I really hope the indian team continue to play this way.
drunkfun
Australia v West Indies (in Brisbane)

Aus 1st Innings : 435
WI 1st Innings : 210
Aus 2nd Innings : 2-283 Dec
WI 2nd Innings : 129

Australia wins by 379 runs in 4 days.

Well, i guess australia is back to it's absolute thrashing best.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT MAN!!!!!!!

drunkfun
Australia poised to sweep West Indies aside 3-0.

Bring on some real opposition
sunrise
It's over. Even though they have been whitewashed, West Indies should be feeling a little glad due to the rise of Bravo and Lara getting the record. I thought they improved with each match in the series, but they were nowhere close to Australia. The umpiring was abominable in this series, but I will say nothing further regarding the decisions, because I realize how much pressure the umpires have on their back.
drunkfun
yeah i'll agree the umpiring was shit.

But the poor umps are under pressure from hawkeye, slow mo replays and third umpiring decisions. Wrong decisions was always a part of cricket and should always be for the future
ekimrafget
I usted to play, because I lived in england but now that I live in the US I can't really play.

But I am goning to try to join my schools club
Yacoob
cricket is not an indian sport, i luv cricket & i'm south african!
drunkfun
Well done in the fist test South Africa. Im going on Boxing Day to the Mighty Melbourne Cricket Ground (greatest stadium in the world) to see the mighty Strayans take on the Proteas. Should be a cracking match too and i should be too drunk to see any of it
avk
Yeah!! i love Cricket

It is one of my best sports
users
Yeah, cricket is like a religion in India. Of course, my grandfather hates it because it takes the limelight away from hockey, which y'all know is the national sport.
kany
WEll its a matter of time.
Well Hockey and Cricket I like them both. but i don't like the test matches in cricket. One dayers are best and when its between Pakistan and India
rafifaisal
Hey Aussie,
please do not forget how South Africa squashed you guys in the 4th odi chasing a massive 400 + score....

Loved it Laughing
shun
Yeah, I've played it once in my summer camp. It's quite fun, too bad I wasn't much of a batter. I remember that I only succeeded to hit the ball once. It was a fun game though, I like it better than baseball because you can score a lot when you know how to hit.
noliver
shun wrote:
Yeah, I've played it once in my summer camp. It's quite fun, too bad I wasn't much of a batter. I remember that I only succeeded to hit the ball once. It was a fun game though, I like it better than baseball because you can score a lot when you know how to hit.

Believe me, even when you know how to hit, it can be very difficult to amass a big score - because some bowlers know how to bowl Smile
bonestorm74
rafifaisal wrote:
Hey Aussie,
please do not forget how South Africa squashed you guys in the 4th odi chasing a massive 400 + score....

Loved it Laughing

We were already winning that series 4-0 or something so we decided to throw em a bone. :p
justmyself
Cricket is the most popular game in the sub-continent and i think cricket matches between Pakistan and India are worth watching , they are far interesting than than the ASHES , where aussies dominated for more than 15 years ....unlike Ashes Pak vs India are closely fought each time and Of coarsePakistan won more matches than india and its better of two teams
rafifaisal
That is right.
The pak-ind matches are soooo good.
If you want to see some matches please pm me.
I have a lot of matches.
bpdwg
England v Pakistan, 3rd Test, Headingley

Pakistan set to make changes

Pakistan are set to alter the make-up of their team for the third Test against England, at Headingley, following their innings-and-120-run mauling at Old Trafford. Imran Farhat has been ruled out with a broken finger while Bob Woolmer is also considering whether to dispense with the tactic of playing two legspinners.

At least one change will be enforced for the Pakistanis with Farhat struggling after breaking his right ring finger on the second morning at Old Trafford while catching Kevin Pietersen in the gully.

"Imran Farhat is struggling to field and he is unlikely to come into contention for selection," Woolmer told reporters at Headingley, which means that Pakistan are set to have two new openers on Friday. Kamran Akmal filled one position in the second Test but was removed twice by Steve Harmison and was uncomfortable against the pace and bounce. It seems a waste for Pakistan not to make more use of his skills down the order.

full story - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/255418.html

I think they weill also try Imran nazir.
quicksilver00x
yup i know cricket... i actually play it a lot... thought us Indians are pretty good at it... it originated in england...
ramesh_nim
Origin of the cricket from England.
but its very popular in India.
bpdwg
Pakistan gain lead in tight contest

scores:

England 515 & 3/0
Pakistan 538

well done Younas and yousaf.
noliver
Dean Jones, an australian, was dismissed for calling Hashim Amla, of South Africa, a terrorist. This is most probably because he is a Muslim and has a beard. Dean thought the broadcast was on an ad break. Do you think his dismissal was fair ?
noliver
So a BOMB explodes within 1km of where the South African Cricket team stays in Sri Lanka. If it was any other team I am sure they would have been on the next flight out. Yet the South Africans stay - even when they have a very slim chance to win the tri-nation cup. Very Sporting of them Smile
kany
noliver wrote:
Dean Jones, an australian, was dismissed for calling Hashim Amla, of South Africa, a terrorist. This is most probably because he is a Muslim and has a beard. Dean thought the broadcast was on an ad break. Do you think his dismissal was fair ?

Ofcourse his dismissal is justified and he should have been penalized more for saying such a thing to a person when its on air or off . Its really a shame that these australians have got such an air of pride about them and thinks that all other are nothing but to be abused.
arclight
now there is another controversy with pakistan forefeiting the forth test against england. do you support pakistan or darell hair?
Tokci
yep its really sad abt what happened in the 4th test.
But both the parties are guilty here of acting too quickly without giving it a proper thought.

Inzemaam should have immediatly conveyd his protest to the match referee...and darrel hair...well what should I say abt him...it seems he loves to be in the middle of controversies.

He is an experienced umpire...there were others ways to tackle the issue and sadly he chose this one...I don't think he has much umpiring left after the incident. Inzemaam on the other hand might get penalized but he'll be viewed as a hero...atleast in the indian sub continent for standin up against what he thing was wrong.

All in all it was a sad days for cricket.
mic79
Cricket is in my opinion the most dire,pointless sport out there.They always seem to be some kinda time out mode every time i switch over the TV channel 2 a match.like theyre all standing about and nothing is happening,apart from guy rubbin the ball against his nuts.
noliver
mic79 wrote:
Cricket is in my opinion the most dire,pointless sport out there.They always seem to be some kinda time out mode every time i switch over the TV channel 2 a match.like theyre all standing about and nothing is happening,apart from guy rubbin the ball against his nuts.

Yeah well he is trying to get a shine on it. ( The ball - not his nuts ) - So that the ball will swing in the air. There is a lot about cricket that is not apparent to the naked eye and it can become as involved as a grandmaster chess match.

But then again, I guess chess will be boring to watch for some people as well ?