FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ethernet & USB

RiCtee
I have this Speedtouch 500 series modem, with an Ethernet port and a USB port. The questions like this. If I plug in the Ethernet to my computer's network card and also plug in the USB. Would I get better speeds or will it be the same as only plugging the Ethernet??

Similarly, if I have 2 network cards and both are plugged in to the same router, would it be faster??
Animal
No, it would probably be slower if it worked at all.

You would need to chose which interface to use as default - I recommend that you se one ethernet connection per computer for the best connection.
psycosquirrel
In any sort of a normal circumstance, the USB will be significantly slower (if it works at all) than the ethernet. I have never heard of anyone using both or even the usb for anything more than changing modem settings.
hrtorrent
Two network adapters use only if you connected to two different LAN's at same time.
If you use any kind two network adapter to access same network, it will be no speed improve at all, here is explanation:
When data packages are transmitted from computer A to computer B over LAN network (using switch device), data packages actualy flow from network adapter A IP adress to network adapter B IP adress. Speed is determinated with adapter or switch limit. If you put other network adapter to computer A, it will be with new IP address, different than first network adapter. At some lower network level, you added another PC to network. So, you have now computers A, B and C (which is A but with different IP addess).

Wink

posible solution: sell all equipment and buy gigabite network adapter and switch and enjoy is speed...

Cool
Donutey
if that's a dialup modem, it wouldn't matter either way, as your connection is way below what ethernet or usb can handle...
ocalhoun
Unless your modem is a faster than a T1 connection, ethernet should be more than adequate for your purposes.