FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AVG no longer free!

Hobbit
Is it just me? Or is AVG no longer free? You know how it updates by itself? Well this time the update sucked, it simply made it stop working, and now I need to buy it.

Oh well, anyone know of a better anti virus?(free). I can't believe people would actually pay for avg though, it's a good FREE anti virus(well it was free), but not good enough to be sold.
Animal
Looks like it's just you. I'm still using AVG Free (fully updated) and it's working fine.

I'd suggest you check AVG's website and download a fresh copy. Uninstall then reinstall the software.
Hobbit
Hmm, strange. Well it never deleted any viruses, so I might as well buy one. Any suggestions? How good is Panda?
calvinchin
Hi there,

AVG still the best... Wink and I'm using the FREE version with updates
often.

If not, try kerpesky... quite good.
Scorpio
I am using the paid version of AVG, No problem there of course

Also, my license expires only some time later

MY account expires in the year 2112, still have a few years left eh?

Yes, 2112 not 2012. Laughing
shwetanshu
scorpio wrote:
MY account expires in the year 2112, still have a few years left eh?
Yes, 2112 not 2012. Laughing

wen i used AVG, my licence was to expire in 2112 only, co-incidence, eh?? Well its still free my frnd is still using it... me on Kaspersky now Cool
n0obie4life
One of my PCs is on TrendMicro. The other is using Avast.

TrendMicro is good, I think.
Phil
I was looking at the AVG website for someone just this week. It appeared that it was still free, but somwhat limited (I think it was good for only 1 scan per day. Don't think this has anything to do with the actual protection though).

I'm using Avast right now, and have been very pleased with it. Updates are available almost daily.
TheGeek
i went to their site the other day to download it onto a friends computer but they wanted you to buy it, i couldnt find the free download link...anyone know where it went. I too am concerned that it might not be free anymore
silentpark
to your question what is with panda...
panda will eat your bandwidth Razz, well they check for some unkown content by connecting to a panda server wich check files etc for viruses^^
faker_phil
From the Grisoft Website:

AVG Free Edition has the following limitations:

AVG Free Edition cannot be installed on server operating systems (such as Windows Server 2003), nor can it be used for the scanning of network drives.
Scheduling options in the AVG Free Edition are very limited (only one scheduled update per day, one scheduled scan per day etc.).
AVG Free Edition receives updates via a lower priority service. Priority updating via ultra reliable Akamai servers is only available for purchased products.
AVG Free Edition does not offer advanced testing options, such as automatic healing, password-protected archives reporting, adjustment of scan process priority and many others.
AVG Free Edition has no technical support!

Comparison of AVG Free and Professional

Bottomline:

You can still get it for free, but then it is somewhat limited, in my opinion only unimportant stuff. I'll still be using it!
Phil
TheGeek wrote:
i went to their site the other day to download it onto a friends computer but they wanted you to buy it, i couldnt find the free download link...anyone know where it went. I too am concerned that it might not be free anymore

Found this link:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1.
Got to say, they did hide it.
Scorpio
I did use avast previously, but it was not good for me.

Probably one of the lousiest I have used (oops, i forgot norton)

Anyway, my bloody ISP insists on installing trend micro all the time, it does not recognize anything else.
Phil
scorpio wrote:
I did use avast previously, but it was not good for me.

Probably one of the lousiest I have used (oops, i forgot norton)

Anyway, my bloody ISP insists on installing trend micro all the time, it does not recognize anything else.

Really. Tell me what problems did you have with it?
I personally haven't had any trouble. But, what always bothers me is I could have a problem and not even know it.
Scorpio
My system started running like a tortoise(and no, it did not win the race), I had numerous errors in this file and that file(system files)
which i did not have before avast and also which I did not modify or delete using avast. There were no viruses or malware causing this as well.

These were my primary concerns, like some reading of some memory failed and things like that.

But then, I installed a older version of mcafee(the current one is total sh**) and my system went along smoothly.

Then, when I tried to update mcafee, it asked me to download a newer version.
I did not want to, since it sucked.

So I went for AVG/
photographerguy
I just downloaded AVG 4 days ago. It is my first time using it. I actually decided to try it after reading the anti-virus thread. It is free. Like someone previously stated the limited edition isn't as good as the full, but the differences are something I wouldn't use anyways. I like it.
marques1975
I already had:

AVG
Mcafee
Norton
Panda

I found another one, a few days ago, and it detected viruses that others didn´t do: Avast

It´s free, you register on its website, and they send you a key, valid for a year. After a year, you may register again, for free.

Oscar
Phil
I've always heard that you should run more than 1 virus scanner because each one has something that the others don't have. McAfee will find a virus or 2 that, say, AVG doesn't and vic versa.
But I've always wondered who actually does that. I don't.
Tha one virus scanner I do run (Avast) hogs enough resources. I can only imagine what 2 scanners would do!
raman
Its still working free for me and I get the updates usually daily. Its the best one I have found to date, better than post ones that you have to pay for. I sure hope that it stays free tho.
Bengt
i dont like AVG Very Happy
ashik
I do use AVG, and I think it is good enough. It has worked well enough for me.
Citizen Kane
I use antivir. A german one. And much better dan AVG at that. Also lookes better!

www.free-av.com

much better, and never had ANY problems whatsoever in the last couple of YEARS! I tried McAffee, Bitdefender, all kinds of suites with firewalls, but nothing beats antivir. small and sharp.
Scorpio
Well, www.download.com recently released a list of Best Antivirus Softwares and the list was like this

1. Trend Micro
2. kaspersky Internet suite
Avg was sixth in the list
Norton was non existent
I think mcafee was 5th
Citizen Kane
scorpio wrote:
Well, www.download.com recently released a list of Best Antivirus Softwares and the list was like this

1. Trend Micro
2. kaspersky Internet suite
Avg was sixth in the list
Norton was non existent
I think mcafee was 5th

Nice list, but it's only software on download.com. The things they don't offer are not being tested. shame, because there are more good packages out there than the ones mentioned.
orcaz
scorpio wrote:
My system started running like a tortoise(and no, it did not win the race), I had numerous errors in this file and that file(system files)
which i did not have before avast and also which I did not modify or delete using avast. There were no viruses or malware causing this as well.

These were my primary concerns, like some reading of some memory failed and things like that.

But then, I installed a older version of mcafee(the current one is total sh**) and my system went along smoothly.

Then, when I tried to update mcafee, it asked me to download a newer version.
I did not want to, since it sucked.

So I went for AVG/

My system was perfectly fine when running avast. I think it is at least much better than AVG in terms of virus databse.
dude_xyx
I use AVG [free edition] too so far no problems at all. its free and doent take much resources. but I didnt know that now they even disable the auto healing process. i think it was available for free edition while ago.
Daniel15
I used AVG Free Edition, until I got a copy of NOD32. I must say, NOD32 is absolutely brilliant! It takes even less resources than AVG, and is constantly rated the best anti-virus program Smile
faker_phil
daniel15 wrote:
I used AVG Free Edition, until I got a copy of NOD32. I must say, NOD32 is absolutely brilliant! It takes even less resources than AVG, and is constantly rated the best anti-virus program Smile

Is there a free version of it or only the commercial one? Because until now, I have only heard good about it and the fact that it uses less ressources makes it sound very attractive. If there is a free version, can you post a link to the part on NOD32's website? I don't get along with that.

It's just like on the Grisoft website, the free stuff is hidden...