FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3 books you could marry

joxang
1) H H Munro: Short Stories of Saki

'Saki' is the funniest, most sardonic, cynical, satirical, sarcastic s.o.a.b. ever to exist in any dimension on any planet in any universe. He is quite literally the GOD of intelligent humour. If you haven't read any of his short stories, READ THEM...i particularly recommend the Clovis stories.

2) Evelyn Waugh: Decline and Fall

Forget the 'Men at Arms' series, this one's his best. It's got the same impish humour of 'Three Men In A Boat', but is sooo random, with the greatest assortment of eccentric characters you could possibly wish for.

3) Graham Greene: Our Man In Havana

Or 3rd Man, or Quiet American, or come to think of it, any of his books Smile. King of modern character development. I fall in love with his female characters on a regular basis.

...so that's me. How about you?
lyddi8
The 3 books I could marry would be (in no particular order):
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller- Yossarian is possibly one of the best anti-heroes ever written.
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton- a 19th century Wuthering Heights.
Perfume by Patrick Suskind- written so beautifully, although the ending was not what i expected.
HalfBloodPrince
1. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Book 7 and I are still engaged until the summer Wink
Lusiphur
David Gemmel - Legend. This is how a semi-fantasy book should be. Druss immediatly becomes a character you really care about, the setting for the story is wonderful and to be honest there isn't a bad moment in it.

William Golding - Lord of the Flies. One of my top 5 books, a dark book showing the degeneration of society when issolated from what we take for granted. Fantastic read.

Tom Clancy - Rainbow Six. One of the few military books I can read and read again. Clancy has had very few books that I reccomend, but I would advise everyone to read this.

So, now all we need is to find a Priest that will marry us to books and we're sorted...
TurtleShell
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon--my favorite book. Just, my favorite.

The Once and Future King, by T.H. White--the story is timeless...

Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace--if I had DFW's vocabulary, maybe I could get paid to write too.
lyddi8
Quote:
Book 7 and I are still engaged until the summer

LOL
Book #3 and i are going through a difficult stage at the moment... we might not make it.... I may have to trade in for an earlier model shortly... Wink
Crazy_Canuck
This is a cool thread.

I'm having a tempestuous "approach-avoid" lifelong affair with: Meditations in Green by Stephen Wright.
An almost completely unknown author. This is his first novel. Really strong metaphor of nature as offering eternal hope -- told from the point of view of a Vietnam vet, whose job was to plot Agent Orange attacks, and who is now devolving into complete psychosis. The writing is unlike anything you have probably read before; the structure is masterful. It's dark, disturbing, horrific, beautiful, lyrical. He's written two others, and has a fourth just released. None are quite the masterpiece this one is IMHO. If anyone has read this guy pm me immediately -- we must talk!

This is my gay boyfriend. We shop together, plan dinner parties and make fun of what people are wearing: The Hours, Michael Cunningham.
A Pulitzer-prize winner. If you loved the movie, you'll love the book. If you haven't seen the movie, read the book first. Then see the movie (he wrote the screenplay, and it's different in some significant ways). Then go back to the book. Repeat until you soak up every element of this author's genius.

The one that got away (he is flighty, and has a fear of commitment), but boy did we have fun: Jitterbug Perfume, Tom Robbins.
The Washington Post's review on Amazon: "Jitterbug Perfume has a large and exotic cast of characters, all of whom are interested in immortality and/or perfume... Go see for yourself; you'll have a good time."
I read this guy just for fun. Anything up to Skinny Legs and All, after that, he wears thin on me.

I just know you'll enjoy spending time with these guys ...