FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Defragmenter

orcaz
Anyone knows of any free good defragmenter, like being able to defrag MFTs.
Scorpio
You can try Diskeeper

http://www.diskeeper.com/
orcaz
scorpio wrote:
You can try Diskeeper

http://www.diskeeper.com/

itz not free...
TheGeek
I use one on my home PC, its like disk perfect or something like that. Ill look when i get home and see and ill edit this and let you know but its like disk perfect or disk perfect pro or something like that i think. Its very good and its fast too, It cant compare to the MS defragment program.
shwetanshu
Hmm i use Raxo's Perfect Disk and its worx very well though not free
Kai
Defragmenting is overated, and a myth
{name here}
Kai wrote:

No it isn't. If you have a severely defragmented drive, the difference when loading a game such as Duke Nukem 3D with JfDuke has a dramatic increase in speed. You probably don't play games that load all thier textures and maps from the hard disk(and with the HRP, that takes a fricken long time on a defragmented drive).

Of course if you use linux or any other OS besides windows for that matter you don't have to worry of defragmenting your drive.
raymond8341
Diskeeper also nice... but need to pay on it Crying or Very sad
Indyan
Kai wrote:

Nope. Defragmenting the page file, systems files and mft does help. It can reduce buut time also.
The best (the most thorough and the one which is certified by MS is Perfect Disk). But thats not free either.
Pagedefrag defrag's system files and page file. But i dont think it defrag's the mft.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html
driftingfe3s
Defragmenting does help. After I got Diskeeper for my cousin's computer it booted up faster and ran faster. I like Diskeeper as well because very fast.
sunnah
raymond8341 wrote:
Diskeeper also nice... but need to pay on it Crying or Very sad

Can you give us the defragmenter freeware?
manumiglani
{name here} wrote:
Of course if you use linux or any other OS besides windows for that matter you don't have to worry of defragmenting your drive.

why ?
mtoni
I use O&O defrag... i like it more than diskeeper, dunno why but.....
it has a trial i believe
nilsmo
manumiglani wrote:
{name here} wrote:

why ?

Linux has a different file system and works differently.

Let me find a link...
Quote:

Running a defragmentation program is usually a time-consuming business. But what programs can be used to defragment a Linux hard disk drive? The news is good. Believe it or not, you don't have to worry about it. Of course it can be done. There's almost always a way to achieve anything in Linux, but it's unnecessary because Linux is designed to handle fragmentation as it manages the files. Therefore, a computer running Linux will almost never have to make excessive page-file searches when opening a program due to the fragmentation of the files on the hard drive. If the hard drive is working hard (page-filing to the swap file), install more RAM and/or make sure that you have enough space on the hard drive. At least 10% free space seems to be a working rule of thumb. There should be no need to defragment the drive.

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Linux.htm
Indyan
mtoni wrote:
I use O&O defrag... i like it more than diskeeper, dunno why but.....
it has a trial i believe

O&O is good. I dont like diskeeper at all. I find Perfect Disk the best. The recent versions of O&O are also good.
rohan2kool
O&O defrag rocks!! Their server edition is the best.
mark25
i prefer perfectdisk... not fast as diskeeper but good when it defrags...
belumadalah
I just use windows xp tools to defragment. Go to start-all programs-accessories-system tools-disk defragmenter.
exarkun
I liked Vopx the best! Although it is not free, but I recommend it strongly.
orcaz
belumadalah wrote:
I just use windows xp tools to defragment. Go to start-all programs-accessories-system tools-disk defragmenter.

obviously i noe windows has a defragmenter, but i nid a better one as the inbuilt one is quite pathetic in terms of functions.