FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Linux software is easier to install & configure?

Which Linux OS is easier to configure?
Fedora is easier
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
suSE is easier
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
knoppix better
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mandrake is easier
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

FreakyCoderz
Ok, I'd like to share a few moment regarding this topic (after the pop-up "you might be a victim of counterfeit software" from microsoft...)

Before this I've been 'meddling' with the Linux family... the redhat, Mandrake & Fedora.

To me Mandrake is the easiest for a newbie like me....

Any comments? Rolling Eyes
redice
You lose Debian. It is the best. You never need to install most common software from source with its package manager.
Nyizsa
redice wrote:
You lose Debian. It is the best. You never need to install most common software from source with its package manager.

Exactly. Furthermore, Knoppix is a live-CD distro. So I don't think a lot of people are actually configuring it. (Although it is possible to make a permanent install on the HD.)
FreakyCoderz
Oh well...... I am sorry! I missed Debian. Actually I do have an uncomplete download to the Debian.
Only downloaded 2 sets then suddently the intra line 'dead'.
Never re-download again.
Arghhhh! can't get thru editing the poll, else another option will be inserted there!

Anyway, the opinions is good keep it up! (Getting the download again..... fro the Debian)
ocalhoun
Knoppix is certainly the easiest to install out of that group: you just have to press the enter key. However, I wouldn't classify it as a good permanent distro. I'd say SuSE is the easiest to configure, as it includes the YaST program, which centralizes, organizes, and automates all configuration.
FreakyCoderz
Well.... I just tried those 3 Linuxes... knoppix is a 'lite' version I guess...
running trhu the CD...
I have an eye for the suSE, actually. "They" say the YaST program is a YESSS!

Those I like to meddle with most of the red hat. Configuring for the intra is a "pain-in-the-***".
Our main intra Administrator just cannot configure for me... unless I use the microsoft product.

Me being (always me) a noobie likes to poke-here-n-there for satisfaction on trying out new programs. To me being 'extra' in adventurous! for me.

Right now, I am scuffling in-n-out the CD jackets and pouch... trying to find me the suSE thingy.....

Maybe at the old office. Got to call them and search for the CD.... lots of CD I guess... mostly on DELL product Laughing because the office is using lots of DELL the past 6 years. Now it is open for new brands of Office Automation.

Heyy.... we're going to discuss on the Linux OS.....
Anyway keep-on comming in.... this is good.... Dancing
anurag_bhd
ocalhoun wrote:
I'd say SuSE is the easiest to configure, as it includes the YaST program, which centralizes, organizes, and automates all configuration.

I strongly agree with the arguement. SuSE is, for me at least, the most easy Linux distro available out there to install and configure. And it is that powerful too. Smile
And the YaST control program utility makes life just easier by acting as the central control center for the SuSE Linux and easily installing the rpm packges of the desired softwares. That means, you don't have to waste time installing the packages manually through the traditional command-line way.
The interface is really very interative and user-friendly. The latest stable version - SuSE 10.0(comes on a DVD) has already almost all the packages of the softwares you have always dreamt of. So, I highly recommend that you try this distro too. Wink
I also have a review about the SuSE Linux at my blog :
http://anurag.blogsource.com
photon
for installationg and configuration i believe suse is the best. Yast just makes installation damn easy, even for first time users. i believe its as easy as installing windows, if not easier Wink

and managing packages is pretty easy too.
kiranaghor
Hey wht abt Ubuntu??
I have been using it for last one year and its the easiest among these (except Suse). I hated fedora in this regard. Try Ubuntu. It works.. Esp the Synaptic manager which we can use to download and install any software that is available.
manumiglani
I think u must add xandros to the list as well. I think it is one of the most easiest and user friendly linux distrubutions.
anurag_bhd
Yeah! Ubuntu is a nice, cool and yet an easy distro to try in terms of useability and interface. And its live cd option makes it a sure-to-be-tried Linux distro.
Xandros is good too and helps in the installation of many available softwares and games through the Xandros Networks facility, but the software support is limited, and as far as I think, it is suited better to the developers.
Ikthar
Well, I never tried any of these distros, but from the ones that I've tried, Ubuntu is the easiest. Everything worked out of the box, without the need of futher configuration. If you want to try Linux, my advice is: go for Ubuntu.
manumiglani
anurag_bhd wrote:
Yeah! Ubuntu is a nice, cool and yet an easy distro to try in terms of useability and interface. And its live cd option makes it a sure-to-be-tried Linux distro.
Xandros is good too and helps in the installation of many available softwares and games through the Xandros Networks facility, but the software support is limited, and as far as I think, it is suited better to the developers.

There is an option in Xandros Networks which gives you the ability to install many many other softwares. Also, one can run and install other softwares by .rpm, .deb and source packages.
TheGeek
I have played with all of those distros for some time. I can by far say that Suse has the easiest setup. However, its very limiting and restricting. I felt that Mandrake has the best compromise of usability for beginners and customizability for people that more or less know what theyre doing.
babumuchhala
You forgot debian distros dude. (as most have already pointed out)

The best in it too is Ubuntu 6.06. Its just a 1 boot install and is really very easy to insatll & run. The webscape has gone wild on how easy and user friendly it is.

One can move up the ladder to FC after ubuntu, but seriously if u are even slightly new to the linux world then Ubuntu is the distro to go for
Stubru Freak
Ubuntu works perfectly out of the box for me!
(Only thing I had to configure myself is dual monitor support)
FreakyCoderz
Well, after downloading the Suse from novell, I agreed with most of U guys...

SUse is much easier to install. I 've download the 5 sets and burn the cd... out from the box in jiffy... and presto! It is configured onto the laptop with ease..
webbone
I think red hat is very easy to install and use,But the vote not this choice,So I select suse linux,It's easy to use and manage,You can use yast to manage all the set of the system,Use it more like windows xp,I think so!I recommend suse 10.1 to use!! Sad Sad
Web-Gazda
The easiest installation procedure I tried was the SuSe one. Yast is perfect (but not flawless). Mandrake also has great installation procedure, altough the newest I tried is the 9.0 version. Personally, I prefer complicated, but detailed installations over the easy one-key setup like Windows. I (think I) know what do I need and what i don't need. With automated installations you get the whole lot of s**t on HDD and most of the programs (even in Windows) that came with OS I'll never be using.
urangkayo
I think the SuSe is the best with YasT for install and unistall package.

Maybe Mandrake have easiest installation procedure too.
turbohead
I suggest Ubuntu, if you like KDE, it's Kubuntu