FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Physics Final Project

Assiez
For the last two weeks of my AP Physics class, we are required to do a final project. I've always wanted to build something, and apparently from speaking to the teacher, I can get a budget of $100 to go toward the project. I have considered the following:

jacobs ladder
spark generator
tesla coil
co2 laser

does anyone have any brilliant ideas that can be built for under $100?
myrevolt
Lucky! Evil or Very Mad haha. I am making a boat that has to support me and my friend out of wood, glue, paper, and paint. And we gotta use ping pong pattles to get across the pool. Confused Last week my AP Physics teacher showed us a video of a previous year, and like almost everyones boat sunk. Hahaha. BUT its extra credit, so yeah. Gotta get the D+ up to a C- Razz

also this week is state testing, so we got the choice of building a simple coil motor or a siren. I started making the motor, but its an ungraded project, darn...

Laser's always look cool... Rolling Eyes
I am using my friend's potato launcher for my calculus video ><, gonna make up some parametric equation stuff
edallica
can you tell me how you plan on making a CO2 laser with $100? really i would like to know.
toughtrio
Yeah this Tesla Coil and CO2 Laser seems to be so impressive. Could you please give out details on how to make such things in around 300 bucks. Well, consider something with beam breaking with an LDR which I made for my project.

Warm Regards,
Assiez
yeah the laser idea was discarded because for a powerful one the cost was in the range of $300.

Most of these ideas and plans came from a great book, here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071426094/002-3218361-8557648?v=glance&n=283155
lockwolf
Assiez wrote:
yeah the laser idea was discarded because for a powerful one the cost was in the range of $300.

Most of these ideas and plans came from a great book, here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071426094/002-3218361-8557648?v=glance&n=283155

That looks like a good book, I should buy it
Helios
Only site I know that makes stuff like that is: http://www.powerlabs.org/
They've made a laser and I saw tesla coils in there...

Maybe you'll find some info...
Rmgk
hmmm what year level of physics is this ?
Assiez
thanks for all your help, but I've decided to build a coil (gauss) gun. And the great thing is that the project should run under $30.

If people want, I can post pictures plans and results later when I finish it.
Yazz
Sounds good, hope it goes well. I'd love to see the plans and outcome, also record how much each material you buy costs in case any one else feels like trying it out.
[FuN]goku
lol i dont even have physics in class so i cant really suggest anything to you :/ Sorry