FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good Notebooks?

UnikeViruz
So I'm going to need a nice laptop for college but I'm wondering what's all out there for good laptops. I'm lookin for something around maybe $1500-$2000 or cheaper with at least 80 gigs of space and a nice graphics card like the latest nvidia or so...(something good) Maybe w/ PCI express? Also must have wireless (lol)...Something maybe w/ duel core technology or so...? Doesnt have to be right on the specs but around there...Anyone have any good suggestions? Or possibly what NOT to get? Would be appreciated, Thanks. Laughing
leat397
I heard that new Mac notebook could install Windows XP.
Some testing reveals that some graphical performance is even better than a pure PC window environment..

I got an notebook also, my advice is that it should be as light weight and as handy as possible should be the major concern.. Wink
orno
that kind of money (apart from getting you a macbook) will get you atleast 100gig, dual layer dvd burner, 1GB RAM (minimum), dual-core, 17in widescreen with 4 year complete care warranty

what to avoid? sony vaio first and foremost (avoid everything sony)
lots of ppl would say avoid dell, but i say what the heck, their prices are awesome plus you cant go wrong with a 4 year complete warranty
r1bb17
dont get a mac lol, check newegg.com for the best deals
Ray Gravin
well if you plan to spend alot of time playing video games I would stay away from a mac. I dont know if any self respecting gamer would go with a laptop for the sole gaming needs anyway. My powerbook is very powerfull easy to use and less prone to alot of the malicious coding one can find on the web. Games dont really happen on this thing though : (
DeFwh
Look for good setups on:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/ | www.alienware.com/

Then go to these and find the parts and customize:

www.frys.com/ | www.newegg.com/

or go work at BestBuy / Circut City and get things at stock price (this means before the mark up)
edallica
i saw an amazing viao the other day. 12.5" looks the biz.

whats the deal with sony? the rootkit thing? i dont know much about that so cant really comment. but what i can comment on is the amazing look of this tiny little laptop. keyboard felt great and lifting it with one hand easilly seems like a great advantage to me.

are there other laptops with a screen quality the same as these guys? i dont think ive ever seen quite as good quality on anything else.

i was fascinated by macs for a long time and thought that i would one day convert, but they are nothing special. i like my opensource applications i like being able to view any web page i want, i like being able to play games, i dont want to be hindered when i have to work with other people, i dont want to have mental problems when i got to do a presntation somewhere...therefore i kept my pc. with the release of vista just around the corner whats the point of people jumping over to OSX? microsoft have done a great job copying the UI of OSX so windows users will have an amazing UI (possibly even nicer) as well as full compatibility.

honestly, once vista is out what advantage will OSX have over windows? it wont have a better UI, it wont be as compatible, it will be more expensive, security looks to be going down the pan as well as i read in a recent article (saying that apples most recent patch dont fix all the problems with the OS)

have sony stopped the whole rootkit thing now?
skygaia
There are a lot of laptops in the world today.
And everyday brand new laptops show up...
So it is very difficult to estimate what is better than others.
But, I have some standards to estimate laptop.
there are : weight, battery time, performance and etc

These days, I found out a attractive laptop. it is Panasonic W5.
Actually it will release next weekend. I just check out its spec.
weight : just 1.2 Kg
battery time : 12 hours long

it's so fantastic. but little bit expensive.

you can see it more detail at www.dynamism.com

I want to buy it... ^^
screamingdecay
Well,

I would say get a Dell, great deals and support.

I can play Battle Field 2 and CSS and Half life 2 with good frame rate
Heres My Setup

Dell 6000
1.8 Pet. M
1 GB DDR2
X300 Radeon
80GB 7200 RPM

Smile
seanooi
Dell's Inspiron 6400 is not a bad deal too. My girlfriend is getting it soon. With Duo core processing and a fairl good graphic card, 15.4 inch widescreen display, 512mb DDR2 rams. Laughing
rhathar
Some advice for buying a computer, laptop or not:

Stick with name brands. While I'm all for searching out a deal, you need to know which brands you can trust.

If you're going to buy a 'custom' computer (i.e. someone else put it together, not a Dell Inspirion ####, etc.) then get someone to look at the specs and the brands. It might be a 3GHz processor, but it was made from third-rate plastic and has an FSB of 50MHz. Check these things.

That being said, I'd honestly stick with something like Dell.

HPs aren't bad, but I think they're a little buggy (prone to crashing, etc.). Compaq's are a little on the cheaply made part. Sony's are waaay too expensive for what you're getting (IMO). There are others.. just stick with something you've heard of Smile

Another thing you might want to think about is heading down to your local Best Buy / Staples / Cosco / whatever and buying it there. You'll have a smaller selection, but usually those stores will allow you to return the computer there for warranty-related issues. This can save you a LOT of time and money, not to mention the hassle, of mailing it off to some headquarters hundreds of miles away.

On another note, there's no way you're getting 'the latest' Nvidia card unless you sacrifice a lot in other areas (or shell out a few hundred more dollars). I'd go with a 128 MB card for a laptop, and not jump for the 256 unless you can find one on the cheap. Don't even worry about a 512. Save it for The Beast you'll build someday Wink

All in all, laptops are pretty simple. They're not worth the effort to build, so you're left with basic options. Major manufacturer websites and major retail outlets. Do NOT buy one from 'Steve's Computers' down the street for $200 less than you saw online.

Disclaimer: Most of this information is based on biased opinions and not on fact. The rare facts in this post are likely outdated and/or hastily researched on Google or Newegg.com. Poster holds no responsibility for anyone that may ignore this advice, or get scammed while following it. Good luck.
pjv
has anyone tried a fujitsu lifebook? Try to check it out too, it's one of the best notebook i ever seen and experience using. It's super light weight but heavy on the features. Cool!
adiutrix
I had a Toshiba, and man those things are mean. Currently I am on an ASUS and i do NOT recommend one. Thje Toshiba is durable, reliable and high performance. Just maybe rusty on the whole mobility thing as the one I had was big and heavy.. Confused
essentialmedia
If you are looking for a noteboook that will hold it's value and always work then MAC, if you are looking for something that will work pretty often then PC. But don't pay for a PC, lease or rent. There is no value in a PC noteboook, if you are going to spend your cash on a noteboook go with MAC.
Animal
Moved to Hardware forum.
Kd527
I would highly recommend the MacBook. (You can also get it in black.) Since this is an Intel-based Macintosh, you can run Windoze on it by downloading and installing Apple's free Boot Camp which lets you dual-boot Mac OS X and Windows XP.

If you want to spend a little more, I would recommend the MacBook Pro.

Both computers use Intel Core Duo Processors which (as the name implies) are dual core.

Macs are really awesome, though. I have an iBook which was the best decision I made. Smile
psycosquirrel
IBM Thinkpads are nice, my dad has one and it runs everything really fast.
marques1975
Hi!

I got a Toshiba Satellite, 3.06 with 512MB memory.
Im very happy with it, and I bought it in December 2003:

- Its fast
- Reliable
- Good autonomy
- Reasonable price
- No faults

I think its a good choice, my father in law has an IBM, and its smaller, but resistant and light.

The next one I will buy will certainly be another Toshiba, but a Dual Core, and thats the one I advise you to buy.

Oscar
marioflory
Hey you!
I'm gonna tell you about my own notebook which I bought for my 3year studies in electrical engineering in 2002.

My criterias were:
- it MUST be 15'' screen
- it must have RS-232 Serial Port (not with USB dongle)
- it 512Mb RAM
- it MUST have warranty ustil the end of my studies.

So I found a business notebook from HP: the Omnibook XT6200.
It has 15" Screen with 1400x1050, 512MB, 1.8GHz Pentium M,
WinXP Prof.

I bought a 3 year support package with next day service.

After 5 months the "Y" Key from the keyboard fell of, so i called the hotline to get the keyboard replaced. A technician arrived to fix the problem. All good.

Then after 2 and a half year I noticed some dead pixels in the middle of the screen, which was very distracting, especially when comiling programs or writing letters. So I counted them and called the hotline. They said I can get a replacement screen, which was installed some days later.

So all in all I was very pleased with the quality of the notebook, because I got all the things replaced and never had any data loss or something. I guess after more than 3 years the LAN interface didn't work for a month, but functioned again without any interaction from my side.

I think this notebook was worth its money, it was quite expensive and state of the art when I bought it, but compared to the current models it is still very very competitive. Ok, the battery life is another story. But I just bought a replacement battery, and will get along with no power outlet for 2,5 to 3 hours now.

My advice is not to save too much money by buying cheap, but to get brand name products and support packages. Especially as a student you will need a working notebook every day. And you don't want to buy a new one every 13 or 14 months because of expired 12 months warranty.

And very important: A big high resolution screen. But please, don't buy these 16:9 widescreen TV notebooks that doesn't fit in any backpack or on your desk. You will want to work with it, not watch TV.

All the best for your decision, Mario
angelussum
I'd recommend Toshiba. Like people have said, don't buy cheap, and if you plan on heavy usage, get support/warranty.

Also, if you plan on playing games (and doing it well), I'd really look into getting a desktop. You can get a cheaper laptop with the basics for taking notes and stuff, and then have a desktop at home for all the hardcore work. Also to consider is what you're studying at school.
neosree
dont forget to check an Alienware laptop from here: http://www.alienware.com/

They probable have the best laptops in the world. for your price too, some models are available.
vlad_dracul
sory for the late reply.. but yeah! this notebook is very great!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

marioflory wrote:
Hey you!
I'm gonna tell you about my own notebook which I bought for my 3year studies in electrical engineering in 2002.

My criterias were:
- it MUST be 15'' screen
- it must have RS-232 Serial Port (not with USB dongle)
- it 512Mb RAM
- it MUST have warranty ustil the end of my studies.

So I found a business notebook from HP: the Omnibook XT6200.
It has 15" Screen with 1400x1050, 512MB, 1.8GHz Pentium M,
WinXP Prof.

I bought a 3 year support package with next day service.

After 5 months the "Y" Key from the keyboard fell of, so i called the hotline to get the keyboard replaced. A technician arrived to fix the problem. All good.

Then after 2 and a half year I noticed some dead pixels in the middle of the screen, which was very distracting, especially when comiling programs or writing letters. So I counted them and called the hotline. They said I can get a replacement screen, which was installed some days later.

So all in all I was very pleased with the quality of the notebook, because I got all the things replaced and never had any data loss or something. I guess after more than 3 years the LAN interface didn't work for a month, but functioned again without any interaction from my side.

I think this notebook was worth its money, it was quite expensive and state of the art when I bought it, but compared to the current models it is still very very competitive. Ok, the battery life is another story. But I just bought a replacement battery, and will get along with no power outlet for 2,5 to 3 hours now.

My advice is not to save too much money by buying cheap, but to get brand name products and support packages. Especially as a student you will need a working notebook every day. And you don't want to buy a new one every 13 or 14 months because of expired 12 months warranty.

And very important: A big high resolution screen. But please, don't buy these 16:9 widescreen TV notebooks that doesn't fit in any backpack or on your desk. You will want to work with it, not watch TV.

All the best for your decision, Mario
TheGeek
Dell 1705 with 17" screen, DVD burner, 2GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, built in wireless, Intel Core2Duo 1.6Ghz processor and an nVidia 7900GS graphics card is what I suggest. Dell has a free upgrade to Vista if you buy within the next like month or so and the system I built above was rated very well on the Vista hardware rating thing as excellent for running vista (XP runs even better). That's actually one of two laptops I created for myself for when I have the money to get a laptop depending on how much money I end up with. That laptop costs about $1500 and with your budget you could even afford to get an XPS with even better specs if you want. IMO, Dell is worth it when it comes to price/performance medium, you can't beat the prices they have for the stuff you get. Though support is...eh, thats why you have us though Very Happy
JeepinJeff
Dell, nuff said.

I am an IT manager for a small company and I support roughly 35 computers. Some laptops, mostly desktops.

I will only buy Dells due to the great support we receive on them.

Here's an example;

Last week someone from our office wanted a used laptop. I pointed her to a great deal I found at Dell at their refurbished site where they sell PCs and laptops that have come in off a lease.
She got a 1.7ghz, 60 gig hard drive, 1 gig ram laptop with a dvd player/cd burner, Windows XP Professional, and internal wireless card for $ 495 and that included taxes and shipping. It also still carried the full factory warrently through April of next year.
I got it in and started loading it up for her with some programs she was going to need to access our server remotely when I noticed the DVD player would not eject.
I went to Dell's support site and started an online chat. Within 2 minutes I was chatting with a live person. Less than 2 minutes after that, I was told a new DVD/CDRW would be shipped out that day. ( This was about 3 in the afternoon) Before 9 am the next day, I had the new drive sitting at our office. I plugged it in, all was well, and sent back the bad drive.
You can't get better service than that in my opinion.
brycearonium
get a macbook. prices are competitive. it's a great hardworking laptop. features are unmatched in any other, except it doens't have a graphic card. also, it runs mac os x and windows. how does it get any better than that? it's small, portible, and it looks good. that good ole' apple design. it's a great nokebook, well wortht he money, and it saves re-sell value. i would highly recomond it. you will be happy with it, and won't need another notebook for a while. it'll last, trust me.
Jaan
I'm on a Dell dual core, with 2 gb ram and nvidia 512mb vid card, and I must say it owns. I can run any game so far on highest settings, and that's qutie a feeling.
Stick with Dell, don't go for brand name like Alienware or Voodoopc, then you're paying extra for the name. And Dell gives you the option of not buying windows xp, if you already own it, which I really dig, cause that saves you an extra $100 or so.
cHeers.
neosree
JeepinJeff wrote:
Dell, nuff said.

I am an IT manager for a small company and I support roughly 35 computers. Some laptops, mostly desktops.

I will only buy Dells due to the great support we receive on them.

Here's an example;

Last week someone from our office wanted a used laptop. I pointed her to a great deal I found at Dell at their refurbished site where they sell PCs and laptops that have come in off a lease.
She got a 1.7ghz, 60 gig hard drive, 1 gig ram laptop with a dvd player/cd burner, Windows XP Professional, and internal wireless card for $ 495 and that included taxes and shipping. It also still carried the full factory warrently through April of next year.
I got it in and started loading it up for her with some programs she was going to need to access our server remotely when I noticed the DVD player would not eject.
I went to Dell's support site and started an online chat. Within 2 minutes I was chatting with a live person. Less than 2 minutes after that, I was told a new DVD/CDRW would be shipped out that day. ( This was about 3 in the afternoon) Before 9 am the next day, I had the new drive sitting at our office. I plugged it in, all was well, and sent back the bad drive.
You can't get better service than that in my opinion.

I am really surpriced by this kind of Support Surprised And I am proud of being the owner of Dell Inspiron 9400 at its extreme configuration. I didn't get any problem yet, but only thing I am set back is the vista upgrade program, for which I need to have a credit card for paying the shipping charge, that I dont have. Quiet sad. Sad

The performance of a dell laptop is guarenteed. Provided you configure it for your preferences.
psycosquirrel
Dell is amazing with support, I second their reccommendation.

Avoid a Mac, they are nice, but are really just toys. You can't be productive in a world based around PC on a Mac, simply because nothing is designed for Mac. Sure you can use bootcamp and emulators, but WHY? You can get a PC laptop for much cheaper with better specs. With Mac, you pay for trendiness (unless you have a specific need for one-- graphic arts, or something of that type).

I got a used Dell Latitude X300 off ebay, and I absolutely love it.
ibay
Toshiba makes the sturdiest notebooks, sony is stylish but not as much durable