FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The-Yeah-Gang: Help w/ Design

heady233
Hello all Frihosters,
My website is http://www.the-yeah-gang.com. I need help with my design, I use Joomla! for my website. My website's template was created by www.4templates.com, but they had to create a special version for Joomla!. As you can see, the site is messed up because of the template. If anybody knows any changes that would make my site better please post them along with the code I should add/change/remove. Thanks in Advance.
GB
Well, the images look pretty good, but I couldn't figure out what your site is supposed to do. All I saw was a page for links and a page for videos. You can search, but since your site is so small, I don't know if you need it.
As far as changes, I would throw out the template and do your own design. That way, you can have something that looks original. Also, you'll know how its coded, so you can fix problems easier.
I would also focus in on generating more content. Decide what your site is going to be about and then write a bunch of content to draw people in and keep them coming back.

Just some ideas.
heady233
GB wrote:
Well, the images look pretty good, but I couldn't figure out what your site is supposed to do. All I saw was a page for links and a page for videos. You can search, but since your site is so small, I don't know if you need it.
As far as changes, I would throw out the template and do your own design. That way, you can have something that looks original. Also, you'll know how its coded, so you can fix problems easier.
I would also focus in on generating more content. Decide what your site is going to be about and then write a bunch of content to draw people in and keep them coming back.

Just some ideas.
I fogot to say that my site is still not complete and probobaly never will be, but the site will get bigger. I'm not trashing my $80 template.
darth_pyro
The site LOOKS nice, but the first page has nothing but a rather useless "welcome" type message on it. Put something interesting on the very first page, like most popular submission, most recent submission, announcement, SOMETHING other than welcome. This little picture buttons are vague, I mean, I know a house is home, and a letter is email, but what is the arrow? I'll never find out because the links are broken anyway. One major problem is that you have to click too many links to get where you want to go, and since the site is mainly graphics, this means alot of waiting for the site to load. One last thing, the site looks atrocious in Lynx, the text browser. Now, this may not seem important, but Google uses lynx to look at your site. Sites that look good in lynx will be higher in the search results than ones that don't. This is also a lesson in compatibility with many browsers. You should maybe look at the design tips from http://webpagesthatsuck.com/ . That is a good page to learn good web design by learning not to use bad web design.
riv
darth_pyro wrote:
The site LOOKS nice, but the first page has nothing but a rather useless "welcome" type message on it. Put something interesting on the very first page, like most popular submission, most recent submission, announcement, SOMETHING other than welcome. This little picture buttons are vague, I mean, I know a house is home, and a letter is email, but what is the arrow? I'll never find out because the links are broken anyway. One major problem is that you have to click too many links to get where you want to go, and since the site is mainly graphics, this means alot of waiting for the site to load. One last thing, the site looks atrocious in Lynx, the text browser. Now, this may not seem important, but Google uses lynx to look at your site. Sites that look good in lynx will be higher in the search results than ones that don't. This is also a lesson in compatibility with many browsers. You should maybe look at the design tips from http://webpagesthatsuck.com/ . That is a good page to learn good web design by learning not to use bad web design.

I think the arrow was to go back. I will never find out anyways either, since all of the three links have gone and the design looks rather fallen apart.

Have you really paid $80 for that template? That's way too expensive for something like that. I could do a design similar to that in a flash. There are some good web designers (*cough*) in this forum, that are willing (*cough*) to make designs for FRIH$ (*cough cough*).

And yes, saying "Welcome to my site" is rather pointless, since web design is similar to print design, and you don't see brochures that say "Welcome to our brochure." Very Happy A bit of design humor there.

Adding to the coughing fit part, I mean that there would be people on this forum that would be willing to fix up your $80 template a bit to look a bit more original and less "fallen apart." I am not suggesting to get rid of your $80 template. I'll go get myself a cough drop now... Smile

P.S. Webpages That Suck's design is rather ironic, if you catch my drift... Razz
heady233
riv wrote:
Adding to the coughing fit part, I mean that there would be people on this forum that would be willing to fix up your $80 template a bit to look a bit more original and less "fallen apart." I am not suggesting to get rid of your $80 template. I'll go get myself a cough drop now... Smile
The entire pont of this topic is for getting people to give my help for my site. But could you give me some ideas and help me fix it after you get your cough medecine.
heady233
Hello, I am going to use the original template becuase it looks much nicer. So will a moderator or admin please -close- this topic?
jeffsolodky
The template is nice and all, but it is kinda lame seeing as it is a template and all. You should try to modify the template a little more, so it looks like you made it... which you will have done.
Vozzz
Well i can't click on anything.

As for those that say he should make it himself or modify it himself, well that's all good if you got artistic taste, and designers abilities, if you don't it'll probably only make it worse. However some of your own content would make it seema worthy investment of $80.