FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Breeding canarys

Ester
We have a pair of breeding canaries, they have had one clutch, but out of 4 eggs only one survived. They soon had another clutch, also only one survived out of four eggs. One egg was unhatched and two others were baby birds one smaller than the other, I don't know why they didn't survive. The other one is on fine form and about to leave the nest. Any suggestions as to why one egg survives would be appreciated.
crdowner
You mentioned that one egg had a baby bird inside. Was the baby bird fully formed?

You might try removing one egg in the future to give the mother one less egg to care for. She may not be adequately covering and turning all four eggs.
Ester
Thank you for your help, I will try that with the next lot. Is there any danger of inbreeding as we are keeping the babies in the same aviary as the parents?
crdowner
Optimally, you would not want to hatch eggs from the pairing of a parent and child. Obviously you would have to separate the birds to ensure that this does not happen - unless you can tell the difference between each bird and their eggs.
L0pht
Oh i just adore those birds Very Happy I used to have a couple of green canaries and they kept singing all they.
Ester
crdowner wrote:
Optimally, you would not want to hatch eggs from the pairing of a parent and child. Obviously you would have to separate the birds to ensure that this does not happen - unless you can tell the difference between each bird and their eggs.

When would be the best time to separate the birds, as the mother needs to feed her young. Should we separate the new babies or the parents?