FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Video Compression

bigzero
I was making few videos with Fraps and they came out like 600MB each. The movies are about 4 minutes long. I know that fraps does not compress the videos at all, so I tried compressing with VirtualDub but that only got it down to 60MB. I know this can be compressed even more but i can't figure out how. The video was aptured on the lowest resolution and 25fps on fraps. Any ideas?
sgwreviews
Dunno that, but I use Magix Video Maker, it works for me.
kelvinpoon
you can use WinAVI Video Converter to compress the file.
convert it to .rm file.
If the video is about 4 mins. use normal quality, then the file should be about 4MB-6MB !
jackill
U can simple use Windows Movie Maker and compress it to wmv. WMM is in every Win ME and XP.
mOrpheuS
bigzero wrote:
I tried compressing with VirtualDub but that only got it down to 60MB.

The tool that you're using for encoding hardly has any effect on the size of the resultant video.
The codec used, on the other hand, definitely does.

Make sure you use a good codec like DivX 5.x and encode your video in a high-quality (slow) mode to achieve the best results.
DivX encoder also comes equipped with a bitrate calculator to help you decide the optimal bitrate for the desired file size.
However, it's always going to be a compromise between file size and quality.

For example, to fit your 4 minute video into a 10 MB file, you should chose something around 300 kbps for the bitrate. (Leaving aside around 12 kbps for audio)
Akselus
[quote="mOrpheuS"]
bigzero wrote:

For example, to fit your 4 minute video into a 10 MB file, you should chose something around 300 kbps for the bitrate. (Leaving aside around 12 kbps for audio)

First of all, use XviD instend DivX. XviD is far better.
300kbps is far to small, try at least 700kbps to get good quality, 4 minut movie wil have about 20MB. Of course chosing bitrates depends on resolution and fram rate of your video.
Alternativly you can youse realmedia (*.rmvb) to obtain smallest size, whit good enought quality.
Indyan
Use virtuadub.
Download and install vp7 from www.on2.com Trust me it is much much better than divx (the crappiest of all),xvid and h.264.
Then open the file with vdub. Select from Video--> Compression settings the codec you want to use. Select vp7 from the list. Configure bitrate according to the quality you need. For that you need to do a bit of trial and run. Try 500.
From Audio menu select full processing mode. Again select Audio --> Compression. Select Divx WMA Audio v2 64kbps.
Now save the file.